The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    I prefer Adams as a wingback as well but I think you're underrating his intelligence. I also agree w/ what balerion said, he's grown so much over the course of this season that at least for now I'm not really interested in trying to decide where on the field he'll end up

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I agree this is drastically under-discussed. Dude covers so much ground. He may not be the best passer once he gets the ball, but everything he does till then is top-shelf.

The numbers game with the 23s and senior team may force him out of CM some times. And that's OK. It means we have other good options and he is versatile enough to play elsewhere.

But he still has a future with the 20s at CM.

3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    And his lack of skill on the ball would be somewhat mitigated by being joined by guys like Mckennie, Gonzalez and Parks in midfield as they are much smoother ball handlers.

Bakayoko ain’t exactly Pirlo in midfield for Chelsea, but his lungs and B2B ability has been somewhat effective, despite his lack of grace with the ball

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any CB options in college?

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Daniel Strachan at Akron, I believe Mark McKenzie has played some CB. Not many yet, maybe they'll appear after the 2000's enter college soccer, the 99's are really weak on CB's.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @BrianSciaretta’s Tweet:

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So by my count, with Ayo Akinola signing with TFC that leaves three players from the U17 WC roster whose immediate future plans are unknown: George Acosta, Justin Garces and Chris Gloster.

All three are due to finish HS this academic year. Acosta spent some time North Carolina FC last season and I don't know if he plans to continue with them this coming season.

Gloster is from the Red Bull academy and Garces joined the Atlanta academy sometime in the past few months. No idea about homegrown plans there.

To the best of my knowledge, none of them have committed to a college program.

The only players from the U17 WC roster who have (that I know of) verbally committed are No. 3 GK Alex Budnik (Dartmouth) and reserve defender Tyler Shaver (Stanford).

Blaine Ferri and Taylor Booth are both HS juniors. Booth is from the RSL academy and might sign there (though he's looked abroad) while Ferri remains a mystery as he lives in the Dallas area but hasn't joined FC Dallas' academy nor, that we know, hooked up with a program abroad.

All the other players from that team have signed pro deals, which gives the new U20 pool a nice stock of young pros, especially when combined with all the 99s who are already pro.

largegarlic and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booth, Gloster, and U17NT fringe player Zyen Jones were all rumored to be trialing at Schalke.

I'd have to dig up where, but Doyle wrote that RSL tried hard to sign Booth but they seem to have been unsuccessful.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Booth isn't playing college soccer. I doubt Garces or Gloster are either.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would be surprised if any of those three did. But I am not nearly as high on Gloster are you are. It could be Red Bulls don't think he's ready for a pro career, even at USL2.

I basically see Jeremy Hall. Hopefully I'm wrong.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    BTW, I forgot Akil Watts. He is a HS Sr. from the Timbers academy but hasn't signed a pro deal not committed to a college. Hopefully T2 signs him.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Garces still with Atlanta?

13. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's all well and good to sign contracts, but now we need these MLS sides to actually play youngsters. Something that most MLS sides are hesitant to do.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Garces path to playing in MLS? He can't sign a homegrown deal with Atlanta since he wasn't with them for a year prior to the world cup, right? Can they sign him to a USL deal to then promote him to an MLS deal?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He signed with them over the summer, so a year to sign a contract, but is there any rule stating he can't play for Atlanta II on an academy contract?

I really don't see why he signs there, unless there's a plan that they laid out for him. If Zyen Jones can get a trial at Schalke and Akinola at PSV, I don't see why Garces wouldn't have significant pro interest. I would assume he plays maybe like two years with the reserve team, and is a first team option in 2020 or so. When he'd sign a first team contract, I don't know. It probably also doesn't matter, as goalkeepers younger than 20 or so usually aren't even considered as options to play for the first team.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the reasoning on not letting HG's play right away?

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The precedent (I remember this with Jack McBean and Jose Villarreal) was that a player can be signed to a HG contract after being in the academy for 6 months, but isn't eligible to play for the 1st team until it's been a year since first joining the academy.

But as always with MLS, I'm sure it's fluid.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A spot on this team has likely opened up with Gonzalez moving to Mexico's program.

Sands, Torres, Booth, Goslin, Servania are key some key beneficiaries, IMO.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Gonzalez was ever gonna play for the U20s. Torres is Jonathan Gonzalez lite IMO.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Timmy Tillman will be with this team

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we know Tab is calling him up to the U20 camp in March. So your statement is definitely conceivable, but it's possible Bayern won't release him for qualifying.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ineligible, unless FIFA rules have changed.

See: Julian Green.

24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you're right! He can't represent 2 different national teams in youth competitions, right? He can only file the one-time switch to play for our senior side?

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You can't represent 2 different countries at the same level, and considering U-19 Euros is qualifying for U-20 WC, that counts as the same level.

Sandon Mibut and TheFalseNine repped this.