The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who knows, but if guessing is allowed, I will guess September 4.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Missed it by that much!

Seeded Teams: United States (A1), Mexico (B1), Honduras (C1), Panama (D1) Costa Rica (E1) and El Salvador (F1)

Pot 1: Cuba, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, Haiti, Canada and Jamaica
    Pot 2: Antigua and Barbuda, Bermuda, St. Kitts and Nevis, Curacao, Aruba and Suriname
    Pot 3: Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia and Guyana
    Pot 4: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, Cayman Islands, Barbados, Belize and Dominica
    Pot 5: US Virgin Islands, Martinique, Sint Maarten, Saint Martin and Monserrat

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Who gives a ******** about an Oxford comma?

5. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

- "Werder sports chief Frank Baumann said on Tuesday, what the visit of the U20 national coach of the US, Tab Ramos, meant. He does not see Josh Sargent as a player for the A national team.

Tab Ramos, U20 national team coach, is currently on tour in Europe. The coach visits his protégés who play in Europe. On Tuesday, Ramos was in Bremen and talked to the Werder officials about the development of Josh Sargent. "You see him in the U20 at the moment," said Baumann about the perception of Sargent's US coaches. The A-national team will probably only issue when Sargent prevails in the pros of Werder.

In addition, Sargent will not travel to the U20 internationals in September. "We agreed that Josh would stay here, that's better for him," Baumann said. Sargent should first complete the test matches of the Werder professionals and continue to come in the Bremen U23 used. Only in November at the qualifying matches for the U20 World Cup in Poland in 2019, the 18-year-old is to join the selection team."

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like we might have Sargent and Soto. Weah seems unlikely.

Lookingforleftbacks and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet on Ledezma, Soto, Sargent, Scott, Maloney, Gloster being available to Tab

I’m not sure about Richards, Dest, Taitague,

Don’t bet on Weah, Adams, Amon

8. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    I’m ok with Amon not getting selected just yet if it means guys like Gall and Sabbi or even MLS guys like Mueller/Baird get called up for the senior NT

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Doesn't seem like we are going to get many of the wingers. If so, we should play a diamond midfield.

Soto-Sargent
    Carleton
    Pomykal-Ledezma
    Durkin

Against a better team, maybe we change the formation or add a second holding mid.

10. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Lotta firepower not a lot of D, that team will score a lot of they are on the front and are going to get overrun the other way. Count me in if you throw another two way 8 in there, someone with some serious bite.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn’t mind Servania or Booth instead of Ledezma, but looking at the way the groups might work, we shouldn’t need to do any defending against most of the teams we’ll face. We actually had pretty much no defending to do a cycle ago. And even the one before that when we played worse we had very minimal defending to do. A lineup for the U-20 WC should be different, but first we gotta get through qualifying.

12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there’s a U20 camp upcoming. Here’s an excerpt from a Bayern Article:

https://fcbayern.com/de/amp/news/2018/08/20-talente-fuer-nationalteams-nominiert

Translated:

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    We've been expecting one more gathering before qualifying. I guess this might be it. It would seem logical that if this really is for both our U20s and U19s, we would be hosting, and that it would essentially be something like a 40-odd-player "qualifying roster cage match" (though I assume some candidates won't be there). Interesting idea.

ChuckMe92, Sombrerito and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Weah missed the PSG match day squad for the second week in a row.

If this continues throughout the season and he only gets sporadic time, PSG should release him for this tournament.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I’d be okay with that. He kind of came on late in the u17 cycle (meaning he wasn’t a starter when it began) so I don’t think it would be bad for him to get to play a big role in this tournament.

With that being said, I think he may keep getting senior team call ups unless some wings and a 9 emerge to force him to stay with the u20s.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He shouldn't. We shouldn't force U-20's to play with the USMNT because the senior team options aren't good. I don't even know why he was there to begin with. He's played like five first team games. If thats the case, why haven't Durkin, Carleton, Pomykal been called up?

don Lamb repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It’s a tad different because he’s playing for one of the top clubs in the world, not an MLS side. He shouldn’t be punished for PSG declining to loan him to Strasbourg, where he’d be getting regular minutes.

TJFtbl repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I worded the last post poorly. I understand the difference. I just don't think a couple of games (whether great team or not) makes you a USMNT player. I think they should all be playing in their age group. The only two I think who should be considered right now for senior team games are Adams and Amon because they've earned it with good play week in-week out at the club level with regular performances, although that might be a stretch for Amon due to his injuries. When he's not injured, the performances are there, so you could argue either way. At the same time, if I got my way, they'd all play for the U-20's. Why not have a good U-20 team this cycle? There are older options to test out for the USMNT. We can add these players to the NT (if their situation warrants it) after the U-20 WC. Thats before the NT plays a competitive game this cycle.

19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want my honest opinion, I’d rather not see inferior players playing with the usmnt, and the good players playing with the u20s. So if a u20 player is better than a senior team player, he should play over that senior team player.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So based on Chris Richards twitter feed, there's a U20 camp this week in Florida and he is there.

21. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a list of players that is being graciously updated:

22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far his list for the U20s or U19s is:
    Penaranda
    C. Ritaccio
    Reyes
    Richards
    Harriel
    McKenzie
    Watts
    Maloney
    Llanez
    Mendez
    Booth
    Dest
    Brewer
    Cappis

I'm also seeing Andres Jimenez (from Colombia) and C.J. Dos Santos will be at the camp.

23. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it just embarrassing that we have to resort to this to find some basic information on the last camp before qualifying? US Soccer didn't even mention this camp and I believe it starts today. No rosters, no schedule, nothing. Just sad.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wait, what? If you think I'm going to sort out these two groups you are sadly mistaken.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 team tournament

US U-20s
    US U-19s
    Paraguay