The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The weirdness I was referencing was the "Who the hell is gonna actually play for this team?" weirdness. If top players are with the MNT, European players are generally unavailable, MLS will be in playoffs, and FIFA doesn't require callups to be honored...

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. Yeah, it could be a real mishmashed roster for qualifying.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    To answer your other question, I also haven't seen any tournament/roster rules or an official announcement of the timing/location.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Hey @bshredder, did Ramos give you any sense of when the remaining 2 (based on his statement that there will be 5 camps before qualifying) U20 camps will be? And is anything expected on the U19 side?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also.....................the business end of the NCAA season. :)

Tab Ramos is going to have to work overtime getting players released for this event.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So let's play the "Name a roster" game -- 20 guys, 2 GKs, nobody outside CONCACAF, contributing to a team in current MLS playoff position, or with MNT caps.

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ramos will have to go down to USL guys or even USSDA guys playing regularly in USL to scrape together enough players to supplement MLS types.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's everyone who Ramos has called in, isn't a MNT player right now, and isn't based outside of CONCACAF (in descending order of callups):

Brewer Shaft
    Carleton Andrew
    Perez Emmanuel "Manny"
    Real Matthew
    Rennicks Justin
    Uribe Angel

Amaya Franuel "Frankie"
    Becher Simon
    Cappis Christian
    Goslin Chris
    Ledezma Richie
    Llanez Jr. Ulysses
    McKenzie Mark
    Mendez Alex
    Mendoza Glademir
    Pomykal Paxton
    Rogers Sam
    Stanley Aedan

Carranza Jose
    Dorsey Griffin
    Durkin Chris
    Fontana Anthony
    Haji Abdulkadir
    Harris Wilson
    Lindsay Jaylin
    Lopez Eric
    Maher Jack
    Marks George
    McMaster Justin
    Morris Jake
    Muse Trey
    Nicola Chris
    Ochoa David
    Perez Brian
    Richards Christopher
    Sands James
    Servania Brandon
    Stiebel Seth
    Tracey Greg
    Verhoeven Noah
    Vines Sam
    Vom Steeg Carson
    Zarris Aristotle​

Patrick167, Pl@ymaker, autobus39 and 2 others repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not from Tab's mouth but I think there is mid/late July domestic U-20 camp. I believe that's the next one.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lest we forget..................the USL playoffs are around that time too.

Pl@ymaker and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we talked about the new qualifying format? There are 34 entrants and all of them are going straight to the final tournament. There will be a single round-robin group stage of six groups of 5 or 6 teams. The six group winners will advance to the Qualification Stage, which consists of two groups of three. Top two in each group advance to the WC; group winners advance to the CONCACAF final.

12. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That strikes me as very unforgiving.

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    7 or 8 games, if we do well and if I'm counting correctly. We will see heavy squad rotation with...whoever the squad actually is.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Goes without saying. We just need Philly to not make the playoffs.

16. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    For U20 qualifying, certainly. For encouraging more teams to invest in youth like Philly, we need them to be as successful as possible and for their young players to be instrumental to their success.

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    RSL missed the playoffs by one spot last season. I don't think their philosophy is looked down on. If Philly can put up a somewhat decent season, I think what they are doing will be held in high regard. I think most see that they lack top-end talent that other teams have.

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may have been posted somewhere else, but here's a nice interview with Tab about his experiences about becoming a top youth coach in this country.

https://www.onceametro.com/2018/6/1...idfielder-and-u20-coach-more-than-a-world-cup

Here's a tidbit I liked:

You wonder what he does if he doesn't get the senior NT job. If he finishes this cycle out, this will be his fourth complete cycle. Do they Red Bulls offer a guy from Harrison with similar philosophies on youth a job if Marsch moves on? The Union need a sporting director. Does he even stay in the US?

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him potentially as a Mike Petke type: willing to take chances on youth, but outclassed tactically by the stronger managers in MLS. I do think he has grown as a manager somewhat over his U20 tenure, but it will be interesting to see what happens when he finally leaves the sheltered cocoon of his USSF gig.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    a genuine question as an interested observer with no real tactical nous - has he ever shown anything as a manger that in isolation would lead people to believe he’s ready for a next step?

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You might need to define "ready" here. Plenty of people with less to offer on paper have high-level club jobs -- Brad Friedel, for example, was given an MLS team to run after 1) playing 2) doing some broadcasting and 3) coaching some YNT friendlies.

I'm sure you could find all kinds of opinions about how Ramos might do with a similar job, but he's got an extensive playing and post-playing resume that includes winning competitive matches. You could argue that his background resembles, say, Greg Vanney's, minus some MLS assistant coaching work.

With all that said, I have no idea what Ramos wants from his career. It's mildly surprising that he hasn't done more pro coaching (at the head or assistant levels) since retiring.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I have no opinion about Brad Friedel's coaching abilities, but he's been on the teams coached by top European managers for the last 20 years. He definitely knows the latest training methods, at least as practices go and, probably, tactically as well.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sure, but you could say that about just about any player who played for a good team for a reasonable length of time.

Hey, maybe Friedel's great! I hope he is. It's good guys get chances to see if they can make teams win and players better.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't know whether Friedel can coach, I just mean that for me on paper he has more reasons to be given a team than Ramos.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, he's the guy running a team, so I guess New England agrees with you! My point, however, wasn't to suggest Ramos should have been given this job or that job, but simply that it doesn't seem crazy that someone might consider a guy like him a candidate if they were contemplating first-time types. He's played at a high level; he knows American players; he's coached competitive matches; etc. None of those things guarantees that he takes a losing MLS team and makes them win in 18 months, which seems to be the job description these days, of course. But hey, you don't want the heat, stay off the porch, etc. etc.