The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following up on @Dave Marino-Nachison’s post from a week or so ago, here’s our thread to discuss the 2019 U-20s. Eligible players have to be born on or after January 1, 1999. First camp of the new cycle should probably happen in the next month or so. Big question right now is, If Tab gets the interim senior team job, who gets the U-20s? Friedel maybe?

@bungadiri or @Real Corona, can we sticky this one? Thanks!

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Just putting the other one here for reference (started in February '17 to note that Ramos had called in 11 players eligible for the next cycle and start an early look at the pool):

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-first-xi-an-unofficial-sneak-peek-at-the-2019-u20s.2038686/

If Ramos is an interim MNT coach, it might be that an interim U20 coach is named as well.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a profile, with video, of Araujo:

A high school soccer player from the Central Coast dominated the Los Padres League and the Santa Barbara Soccer Club, now he's working on his professional career through FC Barcelona and the U.S. National team.

16-year-old Julian Araujo's dream is to become a professional soccer player and he is certainly on his way.
    http://www.ksby.com/story/36622696/vos-little-pros-julian-araujo

Peretz48 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Local TV news station websites are just the worst. But thanks for posting! Do we think Julian will contribute to 2019's U-20 cycle? He's eligible for the 2021 cycle.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #5 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Whoops -- wrong thread, I guess.

@Real Corona -- I thought about deleting mine, but I didn't want to leave @TheFalseNine's sitting out there. It would probably be OK to bin both of them, though in a few weeks/months nobody will remember the start of this thread anyway I suppose.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I do.

He should IMO, wouldn't surprise me if he does what EPB and CCV did during the 2015 cycle.

Eighteen Alpha and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the scouting report on Sebastian Soto '00?

He scored 35 goals in 35 games (28 starts) for RSL U16 last season and has 9 goals in 5 games for RSL U19 this season.

It's early but he's the co-leading scorer in the DA's U19 division along with New England's Isaac Angking '00. Soto has played in two fewer games.

Anderson11 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you have a center back playing center back when you can have 2 defensive midfielders there?

dlokteff, ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we just admit the likely possibility that at least Sargent isn’t going to be available for this tournament? Especially if he’s on the senior team. Also likely that Weah isn’t, maybe Konrad and Ayo (if Ayo does get a gig overseas), maybe even more.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who knows? Qualifying should actually be during the next European season, the 2018-19 one. What if Sargent spends a year with the U-19 (or reserves like McKennie, Wright, Taitague did)? We just don't know what the situation will be. As for the senior team, I have a hard time believing a guy not playing for his club's first team will be a fixture with the senior team, but that obviously depends on the first thing I speculated on. Hard to know with Weah either, I don't personally think he's breaking into the PSG season next season. Same would apply to Akinola as Sargent, hard to know if he'd start in the academy or with the first team. I don't see much reason why Konrad wouldn't be available, he'd have to be the next Messi to appear for the first team at 17 (he's currently playing for the U-17's, still two age groups above his to go before the first team), although maybe they wouldn't release him anyway.

I'd actually think someone like Tyler Adams or Brady Scott are more likely to not play with this team than anyone. Adams could very well be playing with a European first team in another 1.5 years. I doubt his next move is to an academy as he's already playing first team minutes. Scott is right on the verge of being in the first team picture for Koln. I believe he's their third keeper. What if he moves up that depth chart next season?

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn’t really mean to speculate on specifics, though I know you had fun doing it ;) I just read that Sargent is likely to be on the first team at Bremen soon and it seems like US Soccer is as excited about him as the fans.

I really just meant that there are likely going to be a few players who aren’t released (regardless of who they are) so that 2019 team isn’t as good as it could be, so we should just accept it. Also, if Tab is still there, we know he will have some reason why 2-5 guys aren’t called in who probably should be.

TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pre-emptive hypothetical Tab callup bashing is the new "The NEXT cycle will be the best one ever."

;)

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can’t it be both?

Winoman and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It can, for as long as American Soccer Is At A Crossroads.

But no longer!

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luka Prpa, Marquette University

923703199931891712 is not a valid tweet id

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies. Should’ve confirmed his birth year before posting that tweet.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So right before the international break, Jonathan Amon, a 99 from South Carolina, made his pro debut for Nordsjaelland in the top flight of Denmark.

Amon, whom I'm presuming is the brother of former YNT player Joe Amon (who played at the U17 WC and had a disappointing college career), is a left-footed flank player who has been with some of our baby nats in the past.

Not that this cycle needs more attacking depth but it's good to see and pure flankers are always in demand. Definitely one too chart.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that the US will never, ever, ever, ever, ever have enough attacking depth. But I know what you mean, in terms of the attack/defense balance of the current U20 group.

But speaking of such things, I'm not 100% sure but I have it in my mind that Omid Namazi was experimenting with Perez at RB during the U18 camp last month in Spain.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree about the depth and mostly because of injuries. Gyau and Gatt both sustained bad injuries and I'm one of those who think Shea was never the same after his foot trouble before he went to Europe. The more the better.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One to keep an eye on for sure, but at this rate he'll never be released by his club for qualifying:

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We gotta have some defenders step up.

I look at all the positions around the field, and I think we have sufficient depth in all of them, besides defense. Maybe not CF, if we can't get any of the guys playing in Europe, but even then we got guys like Perez, del Rosario, Padilla, Soto, Reynolds, maybe Ferreira, so I think we can get by in qualifying without such great CF play. We won the last qualifying tournament with 0 goals from our CF.

Defense is the big issue though. Outside of Tyler Adams as a wing-back (and he might not even play as one for this team, if he plays for this team, at all), we have no givens on defense. We have some "depth" but its depth in maybes. A lot of maybes usually adds up to some givens in time, but its a question mark for now. Some players really gotta start emerging on defense in 2018, otherwise this team might be more talented in goal, midfield and attack than prior cycles, yet come up short because of a lack of quality defenders.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Corey Anton, Serginho Dest, Harold Hanson, Jaylin Lindsey, Matthew Real, Sam Rogers. Plus Sands and Durkin can slide back to CB if need be.

There appears to be plenty of FB depth. CB I agree remains a question mark but it's also really early in the cycle. Let's see what happens with some of the kids currently finishing their freshman years of college soccer (Avionne Flanagan, Christopher Grey, Mark McKenzie, Logan Panchot, Mark Salas, Daniel Strachan, Brandon Terwege, Carson Vom Steeg, Blake Willis) to see if they go pro and are able to contribute.

It won't be a strength like it's been the past couple of cycles, but I don't think it's that bleak, either.

anivha repped this.
  24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't there a few defenders who have played in USL?

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hanson (RB) played extensively for T2 team. T2 were awful so that doesn't necessarily mean much. I have no idea how close he may be to an MLS contract, nor is it knowable what Portland's attitude toward young players will be under the next manager.

Rogers (CB) played extensively for S2.

Real (LB) played a fair bit for Bethlehem. About a month ago, Curtin suggested that he might get an MLS deal this winter.

Lindsey should be in line for a lot of USL minutes next year, at least.

Looking abroad, Corey Anton (RB) blew his ACL and is out for the year. Sergino Dest (RB) looked good at the U17s, so fingers crossed. Angel Uribe from Tijuana has been in a million camps, but I'm not sure what his position is.

It's early, but at the moment it looks like we'll need Sands at CB again - and maybe Durkin too.

We just don't have all that many irons in the fire this cycle, though that can change. We'll see what the wave of HG signings this winter brings, and you never know who will break out.

TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.