The 2019 U-20 Pre-Finals Catchall Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Since we (rightly) took down the qualifying thread, I guess we should start a new one to take us home.

The finals are in May in Poland. The draw is in February.

https://www.fifa.com/news/y=2018/m=10/news=fifa-u-20-world-cup-draw-to-take-place-in-gdynia.html

Historically things have happened pretty fast between qualifying and the Finals, mainly due to qualifying usually being later. If you count past cycles' qualifying tournaments as a camp, there were 3 tournament-year gatherings in 2013, 2015 and 2017, all in the low-20s in terms of player count.

I wonder if there will be another YNT "jubilee" in early 2019. We also haven't seen the U19s get together since September; three guys who were at that event made the qualifying roster.

And here's the qualifying thread, by the way:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-2019-u-20-qualifying-thread.2074848/

TheFalseNine, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since there is more time between qualifying and the final tournament this time combined with a possible coaching change there might some friendlies to look at more players and make more than usual changes.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There will be more time for the entire operation to implode, agreed.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave, I think both threads serve a distinct purpose. I stickied this one. Thanks!

Anderson11 repped this.
  6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The article is titled: "The US U20 men dominated the CONCACAF Championship, and that's not all good news." If I may take a guess... Is the bad news the fact that we need stiff competition in order to sharpen our players?

Patrick167 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are now officially more qualified than most of the people working at the USSF.

soccersubjectively and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Thomas Roberts efforting to make this team.
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...tious-goals-in-2019-for-both-club-and-country

But next year he also eyes the lofty goal of making the U.S. U-20 World Cup team – where he would be playing up a cycle. It’s a goal he believes is attainable and U-20 head coach Tab Ramos is familiar with Roberts as he also served as the U-18 coach for the Vaclav Jezek Tournament.

“We did really well in the Czech Republic,” Roberts said. “It was my biggest accomplishment so far because I scored the game winning penalty to beat Japan. That was a big step for me, confidence-wise. The U-20 team [next year] is a big goal for me, but I still have work to do to make that roster. I can play in the next one in 2021, but I want to play in this one in 2019.”

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint, props for turning "effort" into a verb there.

[​IMG]

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Ramos was on the Scuffed podcast an explained that the giant jubilee only works in off years for the U17 and U20 WCs. There will be a combined camp of some sort, but another big one next year.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Worth noting that there is no FIFA date until March. So getting all of these Euro kids away from clubs (even those that don't play for first teams) will be tough for 4-5 months. Just part of the deal.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ramos will pull a guy in without seeing all that much of him (in U20 camps, anyway) if he wants him. Last cycle, four field players made on the finals roster despite having just one previous U20 callup. And Zelalem was brought in in 2015 despite zero previous camps.