The 2019 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 19, 2018.

1. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #126 eddygee, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Unfortunately they have a monopoly on Univisions TV ratings. They are the only outlet that releases those Univision network soccer TV ratings. We could really cut them out if we had a in on those Univision#s since they wanna be propagandist shits all the time. I really wish someone could get back in the business of providing all numbers. Son of the Bronx or something.

Kejsare, bbsbt, Stupid_American and 2 others repped this.
  2. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for these numbers.

eddygee repped this.
  3. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Those guys have no credibility on who is spinning numbers for or against MLS. Sports Business Journal is not some fly by night operation. They are, unlike WST, a well-respected publisher.

eddygee repped this.
  4. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    If MLS had that much influence, why not just have SBJ declare that they average a million viewers per game?

eddygee repped this.
  5. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    I heard that MLS is the real culprit behind 911, Garber was on the grassy knoll in Dealy Plaza when Kennedy was shot, and OJ proved they were the real killers.

Dirt McGirt and eddygee repped this.
  6. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your welcome!

napolisoccer repped this.
  7. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're*

8. SocFanda

SocFanda New Member

Seattle
    United States
    Mar 19, 2019
    What about Sunday's numbers?

9. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #134 eddygee, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    I'll have the totals for everything hopefully by Thursday including the last week's Univision Numbers as well so we have a more complete picture. I like to have all the numbers so I can compile the ratings average at once as to not clutter the page in updates.

10. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you're new around these parts. Just noticed this was your first post. Sounders Fan? I guess.

11. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little bit beside myself right now. Is this the right thread to ask about MLS Live? I just realized I won't be getting in market Galaxy games on MLS Live EVER, whereas in past years there had been a 24 hour + blackout period before the games became available. As a cord-cutter getting cable is just not an option, and in my area I'm not sure I can get Spectrum Sports Net at all! PO'd and not sure who to complain to!! - so you guys get the brunt. :)

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This is why the Galaxy are so overpaid for the TV rights. They force you to keep cable.

Geneva repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just the Galaxy. I checked the Sounders' games and they are all blacked out as well. The best you can do is watched the condensed match on the MLS App.

Geneva repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I am specifically referring to Charter paying the Galaxy far more than they are worth to stay on Sportsnet. There is no other way to watch them, and no way to get Sportsnet without traditional cable. In essence I am paying $130/month to watch the Galaxy and Lakers.

15. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What about for the Earthquakes?

I exchanged emails with ESPN+ who assured me that "games blacked out only on regional networks will be available immediately after the live event, for replay on ESPN+."

The MLS website is ambiguous (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/02/how-watch-stream-mls-games-2019):

Regional network IN-MARKET
    Live Stream Team specific
    Full Replay Team specific

That's why I wrote to ESPN+. I guess I'll find out for sure when I sign up for ESPN+ to watch San Jose at Seattle on April 24th, the first away SJ match not televised on over the air Univision.

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm discontinuing my ESPN plus now. Thanks for your responses.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    VPN might be an option for you?

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I've tried VPN, but it doesn't work for me. I think they are checking billing zip code these days. I get a message that my subscription can't be validated. When I try without the VPN, they tell me I'm blacked out.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Hopefully Charter gives up on the Galaxy once the current deal runs out, though they'll likely sign with some terrible streaming service when that happens.

Geneva repped this.
  20. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Spanish version appears not to be blacked out.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be related to the YoutubeTV contract then?

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I just spoke to an ESPN rep and they have apparently changed their blackout policy. The 24-48 hour rule is no more. If an MLS game is blacked out, it will always be blacked out. That's a real kick in the pants to cord cutters.

DBR70, Geneva and Yoshou repped this.
  23. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try Proton VPN its free. I live in MD in the NW DC suburbs (Montgomery County), I was able to watch the DCU vs RSL game even though I should've been blacked out. It was kinda by coincidence as I had just downloaded the VPN a day earlier. When I went to ESPN+ to see what games were on I saw the DCU game and thought damn! too bad I can't watch it. I clicked just to see and it wasn't blacked out!

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty damn stupid actually. Dubba Tee Eff

25. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In my experience, the telephone reps are often wrong. I think the replay blackout rules depend on each team's contract with its cable and/or live stream broadcaster. Because MLS and MLS Live/ESPN+ do not list the local blackout policy for each team like they did through 2017, it is impossible to know for sure without purchasing an ESPN+ subscription and checking for your specific region.

The locally telecast blackout policy was that ESPN+ made the blacked out games available as soon as they hit the replay section of its website: http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule?...ethod=eplusnav&startDate=20190321&type=replay

The 24-48 hour rule applied to matches nationally broadcast on a ESPN network, which were also available soon after the match ended for people with access to ESPN3 through their ISP. Pre-ESPN+, all nationally broadcast matches eventually hit MLS Live. Now, the Fox family and Univision family broadcasts never do.

Reposting the (ambiguous) policy from the MLS website: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/02/how-watch-stream-mls-games-2019

"Club streams: Some clubs have agreements with streaming partners (YouTube TV, FOX Sports GO, FloSports, etc.). Check your club's website for details about team-specific streaming services."

The SJ Earthquakes website has no such details. A few years ago, I tried to get clarification from the team about the local MLS Live blackout policy and got a nonsensical response.

Good luck. It should not be this hard to get the proper information.