The 2019 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 19, 2018.

1. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another fallacy that has been disproven I'm sure you got this number off of Twitter from World Soccer Talk or Ben Fast or Ted Westerveldt or one of the other Pro/Rel nuts. But its vital in this discussion of whether we continue it or not. If you are going to stick to believing that FALSE number concocted for a self fulfilled premise, their isn't any use of us wasting key strokes. More validated people in the media on social media has picked that article and the 6-7% claims to pieces. That research while im sure required hard working is the perfect example of confirmation bias and misreading data. The take way that was pointed out and has been pointed out repeatedly on Twitter by those who work in network media like Mike Decourcy of the Big Ten Network is that the article didn't take into account local coverage of games(bulk of MLS coverage is local televised games), Didn't include all nationally televised numbers ie Spanish viewing and even if you decided to go with that bad data it was concluded wrong. The data stated MLS was shown on TV 7% of the time and had a 6% share which would've made it proportional. You show it more on National TV the TV share will increase.

As far as the pat on the back stuff you mentioned I was told a long time ago never be ashamed to give yourself a pat on the back because there are plenty people who'll stab you in it and kick you when you're down;)

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    How is MLS finals viewership trending from 1996 to 2018?

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I prefer to stab myself in the back, just so I can learn to keep the eyes on the back of my head pointed forward!

I hate when people talk shit behind my back right in front of my face!

4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    No idea but I would think the last 6 years would be more relevant to TV execs than 23 years ago. Not very relevant to today. A lot has changed in 23 years.

Kejsare and eddygee repped this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #380 crookeddy, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    I actually found the answer. The record is 3.1 million in '96. Second place is '97 and third is '98 :) After that we have to go to 2016 for fourth, so that's a bit of a positive, though that involves combining the viewership for 2 channels in 2 languages.

Speaking of that, I think 2018 could have beaten 2016, but the Spanish language moved from Univision to Unimas.

Interestingly, the top 4 highest rated regular season games have all been on Fox. I know a small event called the world cup final caused the #1 spot. The other 3 also followed world cup games. I know NBCSN had some double headers with the Olympics, but they never tried putting an MLS game on NBC to follow morning Olympics coverage.

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ou could add Chicago to that list, we have 5 games on Univision/UniMas, more tham both Houston & San Jose, but at least they have a local TV station showing games, unlike here in Chicago (ESPN+)

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Unfortunately, looks like the Fire were just ahead of the game there...

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just having ESPN+ (Streaming) is just stupid.

9. SocFanda

SocFanda New Member

Seattle
    United States
    Mar 19, 2019
    112.000 viewers for LAFC-Dallas FC

Attached Files:

eddygee repped this.
  10. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a surprise late 10pm game on ESPN2 with the NBA playoff game starting at 9pm on ESPN.

SocFanda repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You're like the anti world soccer talk!

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Welcome to the future, buddy. We don't have to like it, but we can't stop it either.

13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We aren't there yet, not even close, if that was the case every team would just have streaming TV as their local TV partner. I have no problem having ESPN+ with a local TV partner. Only having ESPN+ as your TV partner is stupid. How many causal fans are you missing out with just being on ESPN+. All this was here, is that our owner is a cheapass and wasn't willing to make an investment into his team.

Oh, by the way I'm not your BUDDY........

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Next TV deal will have every MLS team on streaming exclusively.

15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link? or you're talking out of your ass.

eddygee repped this.
  16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    How can I have a link for something that hasn't happened yet? It's the only thing that makes sense for a unified local deal though.

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're talking out of your ass, got it.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You have another theory for how a unified local TV deal could possibly work?

19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says it's going to be unified?

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. Why don’t we ask the NFL how they do it without stream only.

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The NFL is the NFL and everyone else is something very different.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, talking out of your ass again

firefan2001, eddygee and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 28 teams (probably more not long after this deal kicks in) we have 14 matches per matchday. That's a lot to get into national TV schedules. The NFL has their networks broadcasting up to 8 matches between two channels at the same time splitting them regionally. Only the NFL can pull that off. We can't generate the ad revenue to justify producing multiple matches at once splitting the viewers from each other. Only the NFL can do that.

crookeddy repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, you're not wrong, but @crookeddy literally said:
    And immediately @Yoshou pointed out (beating me to it) that there's already a league in this country that doesn't do it that way. So, yeah, its not the ONLY option out there, despite the claim.

Given the poster's long track record of trolling its not wrong to call him out (again) for talking out of his ass.