The 2019 Autopsy: FCD Offseason Thread [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Oct 21, 2019.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2019 was overall a very average season with some positives and negatives...

Positives
    - 1 loss at home all season.
    - Wins at RSL, Atlanta & KC.
    - Beating the piss out of Houston and comfortably beating the Galaxy.
    - Development of Paxton , Jesus, Servania & Cerrillo.
    - Cannon looking more and more like the real deal and starting to lock down a national team spot.
    - Our expensive, flop of a striker going from piss-poor to average.
    - Luchi punching above his weight considering age/experience/weapons on hand.

Negatives
    - AWFUL road record, even by MLS standards.
    - Too many home draws.
    - Badji is still trash despite all the promises about his new attitude and role. Doesn't stop him from starting every game.
    - 1 point from 2 games against Vancouver.
    - Losing to Houston, Vancouver, Columbus, Orlando, Chicago, & Colorado. None of which made the playoffs.
    - Some heavy defeats on the road.

Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that the team should keep Acosta. He's a great #8, but at the same time, Pomykal and Servania do well in that role, and Ferreira seems to have locked down the #10. They tried him at the #6, but he just wasn't the same sort of stopper in that position that Gruezo was and it showed in all of the chances that this team gave up after Gruezo was sold.

I also don't think that Cerrillo is quite ready to take the #6. Yes, he's a good stopper, but he doesn't do well in the transition to attack.

So honestly, I think what this team should do in the offseason is

1. Sell Acosta. It's not that I don't think that he has anything to contribute. It's a numbers thing. FCD's got a surplus of #8's that they didn't expect to have at the beginning of the season, and the other ones don't have a fetish for constantly putting shots into row 15.

2. Finally open the damn wallet and sign a good #9. Everybody loves Kobra, but he has yet to score a goal for FCD outside of Toyota Stadium. Yes, I know, this is the eternal, unrequited desire of every FCD fan ever since Blas left.

3. Sign a Gruezo replacement. I don't think that Cerrillo is there yet and I don't think that Acosta ever will be.

Pegasus and MjrGrubert repped this.
  3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey, HEY! Who do you think started the great comeback at Montreal??

4. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    #4 Hitman, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    I have a host of thoughts and opinions, but my overriding reaction is: meh, another season that ends without the Cup and I'm pretty sure we're stuck in the loop for the foreseeable future.

Is that miserable? Yes, but forgive me for not being able to get past the reality this is the same club that is less than 3 years removed from being this close to winning the domestic treble and having a true spine of players: A #10 that was the envy of the league, a homegrown box2box midfielder, a world class holding mid, a DotY center back and the quickest rising goalkeeping star in the league. Oh, and THE coach who was most perfect for gluing it all together.

Just a few seasons later, much of that is gone and we're back to rebuilding. Why? Because the Hunts choose to run their operation in a manner that is contrary to what should have happened to not only keep that spine together but grow on top of it. And hence, why Pareja left upon the first opportunity to go try his luck elsewhere.

While this current "youngest roster/coach" thing is a neat storyline, it also is a crutch. It's a self created parameter and so when you, again, lose early in the MLS playoffs, I find it really hard to go and collect yet another Moral Victory Cup.

Those looking for the positives point to the potential but jerks like me counter with, "what exactly in this club's history tells you they will actually do what we all agree would be the things needed to make the most of this new, young foundation"?

I marvel how the fanbase and media seemingly have all forgotten (and by doing so given the Hunts a pass on) the fact after all the hoopla and promises of the "most active transfer window" the single July signing they did make wasn't even in the 18 on Saturday - and tell me what else more did Luchi need than an impactful attacking player?

As for the club's losing record on signings, while some wonder if it is a lack of talent assessment, I wonder if has more to do with the self-imposed reputation and salary limitations that reduce the pool of interested players?

If you’re a young, ambitious soccer player - FC Dallas is a dream destination. Stories flow from the Frisco HQ of the number of the daily global inquiries to gain admission to the club’s vaunted academy.

If you’re a successful, proven, prime of your career player - FC Dallas is not a highly desirable destination. A club that shies away from eclipsing the $1M salary, a head coach who possesses less professional experience than you, a roster loaded with young talent - all of which adds up into a concoction that relies more on “hoping the stars align” for a championship run than an actual plan to get there.

Point being, while FC Dallas continues to be the nation’s lighthouse of development, it is equally well-known as a not the ideal place in MLS for anyone looking to progress their already existing, successful pro career.

This is how you end up with Bryan Acosta and not Brian Fernandez.

Call me whatever name you wish. I have history on my side. While I have no doubt FC Dallas will try to improve and add needed pieces. Certainly a year under the belt of a young and new staff will benefit. But all of that relies on Dan & Clark.

The Hunts built the nation's most successful youth/academy system on a business plan that generate millions of dollars of recurring revenue and is a self sustaining money machine. Clark could not have conjured up a better project while at the Cox School of Business.

But like any of the successful MLS teams today - what is required to match them violates the tenets of the Hunt business plan and even if they creep out of their comfort zone a little and maybe eclipse a single $1M salary, will it ever be enough to keep up the many Jones' who have moved into the neighborhood?

Oh and Luchi didn't start Paxton. ‍*throws hands into the air*

Quaker, Pegasus, Cowtown Felipe and 3 others repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think (and I have thought for a while) that anything is possible in the crapshoot that is MLS Cup Playoffs. That being said, being the home team is extremely important in this new system. In order to be at home, you have to be the higher seed which requires a good regular season. Not an average one. So no, I don't see the stars aligning anytime soon, especially with more quality coming to the league by the season. Maybe I'm wrong. I think Pareja's 2015-2016 squad would probably win MLS Cup in the new system, which is a damn shame.

When I walked out of BMO Field back in 2010, I thought to myself that it would probably be many, many years before we sniffed an MLS Cup again. That was super depressing, especially seeing who we lost to. That's why I tried to soak up 2016's silverware success as much as possible. Who knows how long we'll have to wait to see a team like either of those...

Pegasus and Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think Ondrasek, Pepi, and Ferreria are fine at the 9. Not great but adequate. What this team desperately needs is another good creative, attacking winger to play opposite of Barrios. Mosquera isn't getting it done. The two GA wingers haven't gotten a sniff and should be let go or truly given a chance. Sign Arturo Rodriguez and sign a big name DP winger like that Ghanian playing in the Danish league.

I also agree with ElJefe, sell Acosta. It's not that he's bad, like Hayes is bad, but that he's not significantly better than Pomykal and Servania. Those guys need all the minutes they can soak up along with Cerillo and Roberts. I hope Dallas signs Jatta and Tessman is a one and done at college.

Trade Badji and Hayes. Sell Acosta, Santi, the flop Chilian winger (whose name I can't remember right now) and Cannon. Use that money on a real DP, fill in backups from NTSC that Dallas doesn't want to lose for free to overseas teams.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  7. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with most of the rest of your post, but FCD desperately needs a goalscorer. Teams that are still in the playoffs have goalscorers: LAFC has Vela (34) and Rossi (16), LAG has Ibra (30), Atlanta has Martinez (27), NYC has Heber (15) and Mitrita (12) and Castellanos (11), Philly has that Polish guy who desperately needs to buy a vowel (15), Toronto has Pozuelo (12) and Altidore (10), Seattle has Ruidiaz (11) and Morris (10), and RSL has Rusnak (10).

Cobra is pretty high in the Goals per 90 category, but as has been pointed out it's all at home. And he only played half the season. Badji is the #3 scorer on the team. Of course, the forwards need service, and the midfielders need possession from the defenders. It's a team sport. But when the chips are down, you need somebody who can put the ball past a keeper with regularity.

8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think Ondrasek and Pepi can be those kind of guys if they had better service and a more offensive midfield. Pomykal and Servania are both better offensively than Acosta. Selling him to make room for them plus Ferreria or Roberts would help. It would especially help if they had another winger opposite Barrios. Preferably a goal scoring winger who can attack defenders with the ball at his feet. A Castillo clone opposite Barrios would make a huge difference.

I have no objection to FCD buying a legit #9 but I think they're going to give Pepi every chance to become that and they'll only buy one DP. So with that in mind a winger has a higher priority to me. Sealy's not ready. Arturo Rodriguez doesn't have an MLS deal, but should. Though even if he did could you honestly count on him to have 5G,8A or so? Roberts and Pomykal have both played some wing but are not best there so someone to play 2000+ productive minutes there is a must.

9. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would put some priority on a speedy wing as well, but not at the cost of a 15g/y #9. While we can all hope and dream Pepi becomes that soon, I'm not optimistic it's next year. There's too many things for him to overcome, size/physicality, speed of the game, smarter/more experienced defenders, etc. I don't think anyone expects Ondresek to have anywhere near the same goals per game clip that came out of no where this year, so resting 25-30 goal hopes on the two of them, in a single striker system (which may change) is a recipe for disappointment.

10. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of good comments in this thread.
    I too relished the 2016 trophies because it's unlikely we'll get more anytime soon. I was also damned depressed after leaving BMo field after we lost to the f'n Crapids in the MLS final. I thought, "Here's our chance! We beat Galaxatives, now all we have to do is beat these clowns."
    The idea of trading / selling Badji doesn't seem likely. What do we get in return, a used ball bag?
    Agree about Acosta. He's good, except when he decides to shoot, but his VORP isn't that great.
    The only ways we get a good striker are if we develop one out of the academy (Come on Pepi!), or luck into one through the draft. Our scouting doesn't seem likely to find one. This club won't risk big $ on a striker and the few foreigners interested in MLS don't want to come here.
    I guess for next year I hope our core improves, Luchi improves (WTF was he saving Pax against Seattle?), we get into the playoffs and magic happens.
    The oddest thing about this team is the terrible road record. Several seasons under Pareja, I'd watch away games and think, "Who are these guys in FCD uniforms?" We didn't look like the same team away as at home. Now, except for a couple games like the last Fire and Crapids games, we look like the same team, but can't get results on the road.
    At least we don't have a championship drought as long as the Cowboys (by one season) or Rangers.

11. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good observation. The focus on developing youth also hampers success in attracting the outside talent needed to win an MLS Cup.

As frustrating as that might be, the academy success is quite remarkable, though. An astounding 7/20 players on the US U15 team currently playing in Poland are from the FC Dallas academy.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Badji gone...

https://3rddegree.net/fc-dallas-sends-badji-to-nashville

13. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    If you come across the HoF social media video post of Dan building a starting 11, set aside the unintentional humor of his selection, just know I believe there to be a killer Easter egg in the video. I'll remind you when it applies.

burning247 repped this.
  15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We got Jara. Probably this summer, maybe sooner. Let's hope he can still bang in the goals as he approaches 32 this summer.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2020/01/21/fc-dallas-signs-liga-mx-forward-franco-jara

16. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Jara: Forgoing $5M for 6 months of usage is probably good, smart business. But I do wonder how in a globe filled with soccer players, there isn't an equal quality player that was also available now.

Pegasus and burning247 repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just be glad we aren't repeating the last several years and not having a quality goal scorer at all for the whole year.

18. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jara is the perfect signing for FCD. Your average fans will be excited, your fair weather fans will be intrigued, and the die hard fans can continue to bitch until summer!

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jesus you're not kidding. Some of these fools on Twitter make me want to bang my head against the desk.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  20. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    On a positive note for FCD, Chicharito signed with LA Galaxy so now when he comes to Frisco they may be able to get over 12K in the stands.

21. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong decade. Come up with something original or be on your merry way, please...

22. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Facts!

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh look, this board is a wasteland of conversation for months on end and now we have two random slap-dicks talking shit about our attendance out of nowhere.

Bravo, Gents. Bravo.

Easton FC repped this.
  24. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    ya know, "the attendance issue" is open game in the troll dep't (I still contend Houston's current fate is far more damning), but I've come to settle on this: If the Hunts, who own and depend on the revenue, don't care about selling out and creating an atmosphere - then why should the rest of us? Unless of course it is an integral part why you want to go to games, fretting over empty seats just feels like a waste of time. smaller crowds? Closer parking and shorter lines!

I'd love the joint to be full of sing-song camaraderie in support of the guys in red, but that has never been a trait of NTX fans, of any sport, and after 25 years if we ain't figured out soccer atmosphere yet, we ain't gonna.

25. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Wasteland of conversation is right, there is zero interest in this team. It should be called out and the Hunt's should do something about the poor product on the field that draws in such sadly poor crowds year after year after year. It may not be of interest to those on this board, but going to a game with 10K in the stands versus going to a game with 50k loud fans is a totally different experience. There is a reason FCD is close to last in attendance and one of the lowest value teams in the league. The Hunt's should be called out and folks should stopped going until they fix it. I had seasons tickets for two years in a row but dropped them.

Brining in a Chicharito, Miguel Layun, or a big name player would do a lot of good for notoriety, attendance and help grow the game in NTX. It's not a no win situation but with these guys running the show it very well may be.

I will get tickets when the little pea comes to town and maybe they will eclipse 12K. Otherwise, I hope the Hunt's have fun in the largely empty stadium.