The 2019/20 Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Isco , Asensio , Vazquez , Kroos , Marcelo. Sigh.

MaxY repped this.
  2. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yep, wives have got a key role in getting the best out of players :D

Where's autocorrection when you need it

temesgen repped this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man Asensio... i don't know what to say about him. I like the player a lot but he simply doesn't offer enough to be a starter and i'm not sure what he can do as a sub. Perhaps he should have been loaned out. I don't even wanna start on LV. I ********ing hope he's the first one to be sold (yes even before Bale). The guys from Castilla also looked pretty bad.

Kubo and Rodrygo had a very impressive game. Kubo looks very mature and has a lot of character. VJ was horrible. I was hopping to see more service to Jovic but it is what it is. Can't help but feel that he would have scored at least one goal if he had played in the first half.

Edino Edinho, Saeta Rubia and HZinho repped this.
  4. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Only way Jovi does that is if we have a clear ideas in attack. His game isn't built around chaos.

Hazard needs to get the ball sooner, he was much more dangerous when he was running into the box with the ball rather than outside in the final third.

I'm not seeing any clear ideas, and while it's early and it's preseason we look pretty much what we've look like for a very long time. Midfield was out played, not motivated, attack devoid of ideas or tactics. Defense was just as confused, reactionary as ever.

We've strengthen but in some ways it feels like we put 45 cents into a vending machine that requires 50 cents to get anything out of it. Outside of a clearly defined system, these signings aren't going to dramatically change our fortunes in the league.

5. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe we should have a special thread for all these young talents that we have instead of each of them having their own thread. I wanna talk about Kubo!

Someone with unbroken fingers do it before @YOUNGSTARS87 opens it and names it "Real Madrid's Young Stars Thread"

6. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have the feeling Kubo will require a dedicated Kubo thread. What a damn talent, looks unbelievable (one of those players you immediately see that can ball)!

Mimadridsta, Eddie and natenate101 repped this.
  7. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I chuckled.

Eddie repped this.
  8. Castillas

Castillas Member+

May 4, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My thoughts exactly. Absolutely nothing from their last year's performances proved that they deserve to be in Madrid, let alone starting material. Yet we got rid of those that performed much better than them.

Edino Edinho repped this.
  9. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What ever happened to Javi Sanchez.

He looked very promising in some of the games he played last season. Tall, strong, not a liability with his feet at all. He was one of my preferred fourth choice centre back options if Nacho and Vallejo leave.

Edino Edinho and natenate101 repped this.
  10. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lewa need one chance and goal, Benzy 4 and still cant score :) of course just game, but like it was before midfielder our bigges issue here.

11. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You asked for a shit title, and you got it.

Eddie repped this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Did anyone else think that Mendy looked kind of clumsy?

Stiliyan and Halycon repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The reviews he got were mostly negative, but at the same time he can't be worse than Marcelo was last season.

14. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I thought he was good early on. He had no support/balance from Nacho and the other CB so it made him look out of sorts for me later.

The mistake he made which I didn't like was how he didn't track the runner in the box giving Thiago a free header. That's a no no.

15. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that first goal on Dani, Asensio or both?

Drouchk repped this.
  16. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Why are people pointing out Marcelo?

He was good yesterday. Made one or two small mistakes and he was on point in his defending on that goal they scored on us.

If anyone had a horrible match in defense it was Carvajal. He got sliced and diced. Then Varane.

Halycon and Drouchk repped this.
  17. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    For me both. Asensio didn't bother tracking his man and didn't hustle after the pass. Carvajal was in no man's land and easily beaten... like he had been most of the night.

18. Aensensen

Aensensen Member+

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Same problems we've seen for a while on display yesterday.

Modric was great, and we've got to see those butter smooth passes again. When he's rested he's focused and things just flow.

Benzema had a 100% chance where he forgot to extend his leg. Somehow I think he believed that it's the ball's duty to find his foot instead of vice versa.

Anyhow, Rodrygo and Kubo not bad. Rodrygo btw completely milked that contact with the goalie, but good on him - he got a goal out of it. And what a goal it was.

Keylor actually got called Jesus Navas a couple of times by those incompetent boring British commentators. Keylor was, as always, sharp, tho Thibaut wasn't bad either.

Marcelo actually wasn't as bad as last season, but was found out of position a few times. Kimmich is just a beast vs anyone tbh.

All in all, yes, it was only a preseason game so no biggie. Shame about the score tho.

19. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    The players who should have been the first out of the club in summer, all started last night.

Asensio, Isco, Lucas, Kroos and Marcelo. Sigh.

20. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    we opened with the players zidane consider the starters. get used to it.

21. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    I would post a thread like this, but the last one I did (I opened the Lopetegui thread ), it didn't well at all. So I will refrain.

Eddie repped this.
  22. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    #572 janos audron, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Clearly we have issues. Substantial ones. Not only in terms of personnel, but also in terms of coaching decisions thus far which are supported by certain trends which somehow invalidate rhetoric "it is just first game of the -preseason".

At this point i am baffled as to what is the exact idea, besides fielding 80% the same squad. Meaning the same defense - Marcelo will be a starter while Hazard will be the only profound change upfront. Unless there is a shocker and we bring another RW - which it seems we should do, because the idea of Asensio and Lucas operating there is grotesque. While Vin and Rodrygo should be considered as the future and at this point are not starting material. Maybe operacion Neymar?

Another big issue is midfield. What is the plan? Why sell the only DM / CDM replacement who you can use also as b2b options in need, when you lack such profile in your already soft midfield while at the same time playing with DM was one of the crucial traits of your system? Baffling really. Is Pogba the magical fix? Casemiro, Pogba, Modrić / Kroos?

Is this what are we going for:

Hazard - Benzema - Asensio / Lucas / youngsters
    Modrić - Pogba
    Casemiro
    Marcelo - Ramos - Varane - Carvajal
    Courtois​

If so, i am not impressed. The contrary. We should have been pragmatic, kept the good stuff from last season, ditched the bad ones, while also bring back James back who is clear upgrade for today`s squad. And he is free of charge. Something in the line:

Hazard / Vin - Benzema / Jović - James / Rodrygo / Kubo
    Eriksen / James - Pogba / Modrić
    Casemiro / Llorente
    Marcelo / Reguilon - Ramos / Hermoso - Varane / Militao - Carvajal / Odriozola
    Courtois / Navas
    Out: Isco, Kroos, Kovačić, Mariano, Asensio, Lucas, Bale, RDT, Mayoral,....

Net spent: In the negative. And we have better squad than now.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    It was the first preseason match.

FFS...

If anyone actually believes that is our starting lineup then they aren't that bright.

kelvinphr and Drouchk repped this.
  24. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Marcelo will be a starter. Defense will be the same. Midfield will have one change tops. The same applies to forwards. Or you think otherwise?

25. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    unless Zidane explicitly asked for a player, that player won't start.