News: The 2019/20 Injury and suspension thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    did not get notification of this tag so now seeing this.

OK. not sure this is definite proof unless you're saying he made up the 6 weeks timeline? i'd assume someone more qualified made that diagnosis and he's going by that. i see your logic though.

he also did say today there was no pre-existing injury with Rashford but did say he had a knock as i had listed in the previous game thread. so that can be taken for whatever it's worth though i suspect not much with most here.

so maybe unfortunate if that's the case to get a double stress fracture at once. i just thought he should have omitted him from the squad completely. we weren't losing with 20 mins to go when he came on. it was still 0-0

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’m not talking strictly about results. I’m talking about results, recruitment, reputation, etc. We’re definitely worse than Pool at their lowest in the past decade.

J'can repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im not saying our medical team has been flawless and deserves no blame, but I can tell you this. The medical team would not lie, or hide an injury from the player or the managment team. There is no "missing" this injury. Especially when you consider all the other knocks Rashford has had.

I dont believe Ole when he says there is no pre existing injury.

Drae repped this.
  4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    fair enough. in the end the reason doesn't really matter. we're short our top scorer having his best season regardless. maybe like you and i think amdrag said it's common for athletes to play on with it so they passed him fit.

i thought he might actually hit 30 this time

benni... repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    and just for the record i too agree it would be unlikely to miss something like that. i just had to wonder because it seems ridiculous to me. again maybe i'm the only one.

i just can't believe any athlete in any sport would risk compounding that further, especially in a high impact sport, if they knew. your back is your everything

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not common, but possible from what I remember. As well, the chances of making it worse are high. The cure for stuff like this are rest. You can't fudge it.

Drae repped this.
  7. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kevin Durant played in the NBA finals knowing there was a real chance of his leg tearing in half. He did it anyways, and his Achilles went. NFL players still try to hide their concussions knowing the damage they do. Players are stubborn, which is how they got where they did. That is why it is important for the coach to make these decisions.

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i expected this would most likely happen this season with only 3 forwards at some point. didn't expect it this soon or like this (the Doherty challenge didn't seem bad to me).

it just means Tony Martial will need to be on fire. likewise Greenwood and any help James can offer would be great. i don't really expect us to get a forward in with just over 9 days to go.

alternatively, if the defence could actually keep goals out that's another option

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd be fine with no forward if we bring in Bruno. I think he'd help us much more, now and later.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    as do i. i just don't expect it to happen.

we're supposedly close now just as we were in the summer. what else is new.

despite what people say or want to believe the January window is a needle in a haystack search in general. it's rare to get anything of substance in the window. it's really for stop gaps and that's it.

even if we do get him we've badly misused players in recent years. though i have to say Solskjær has generally put players where they belong

Amdrag repped this.
  11. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, rare to get an Vida or Evra. But of course, this is all compounded by the awful summer. Everyone has been talking about more players since the start of September, which has made this Jan important. It didn't have to be, but our summer business made it so.

12. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    assuming that's true what's there to be upset about?

you said he always rushes players back and overplays them so isn't this a good thing? especially if we're not going to win anything or get top 4?

14. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't want multiple different answers. I just want him to be straight about it from the start. If he doesn't know, he should say he doesn't know. There is a big difference from 6 weeks to may not play again this season. One sets up expectations.

This one of the things that really annoys me about him. He says a lot of different things, and then points to the one he likes as the thing he "actually said". I shouldn't have to read 3 different articles to get the actual answer. We can say Ole isn't "lying" but he sure as hell is talking out of both sides of his mouth.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tally of games so far of players out due to injury this season has already reached 148 (does not include Timmy, who was injured in his time at Fulham last season).
    Eric Bailly (28)
    Luke Shaw (17)
    Tuanzebe (7)
    Diogo Dalot (24)
    Nemanja Matic (14)
    Paul Pogba (30)
    Scott Mctominay (15)
    Marcus Rashford (4)
    Anthony Martial (9)
    Injuries are part of the deal, but that seems like a lot, especially considering we've just passed the midpoint of the season.
    Given that data, coupled with the fact that there have been questions about guys being rushed back prematurely (presumably after being cleared by the medical staff), is it a surprise that someone like Pogs for instance, sought a second opinion (something he was slammed for by some of the fans)?
    That really reinforced the fact for me of how poor our physio staff has to be, if players obviously don't fully trust them and have cause to feel this way clearly, based on what we've seen.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If like me you are not familiar with this injury and find some of this medical stuff interesting;

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the injury front, Ole also confirmed that Matic picked up a knock, explaining why he was subbed off vs Tranmere. Said he hopes to have him ready for tomorrow.
    Forget tomorrow, let him rest and be ready for the Wolves game and just roll the dice with Garner tomorrow, paired with Fred...

19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lets see if OGS has learned anything from the Rashford injury. It will be deja vu if this happens with Matic.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matic has trained today with the team. But Galbraith was another CM who took part today (along with Fred, Garner etc...). Might not mean anything and might have been called up to make up numbers in today's session but hopefully Ole could give him a spot in the matchday squad.
    There really is no reason for Matic to start tomorrow: would keep him out of the 18 completely tbh, with an eye towards this weekend.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rashford injury update.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...efore-end-of-season-says-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

Considering what we've heard about this sort of injury, on top of RvP's comments (having suffered from a very similar injury himself), it's good to hear that the club looks to be taking the sensible approach.
    As much as it sucks not having him on the team, we really want to insure he comes back 100%, no matter how long it may take. Still very young and potentially has a long career left ahead of him and the long view has to be the focus when it comes to him.

23. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The issue here is why did they act like it wasn't that big a deal in the first place?

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We need to hold open tryouts for Maguire's CB partner. Slabheads style is just way more suited to be paired with a Bailly or Tuanzebe type. Someone who can recover quicker and is more athletic. Lindelof is a great #3 but his strengths and weaknesses are too similar to Maguire.

I think Tuanzebe will get his shot if he can stay healthy.

benni... repped this.