The 2018 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    ZZZZZ

:)

JasonMa repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digital signage? We used those in our cafeterias for menus at my last company. A lot of schools also used digital signage throughout the building for announcements of events, as well as daily student created news shows.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's all us. 20% of schoolkids in the U.S. go through cafeterias running our digital signage or other menu software. Menus, weather, clocks, text, tickers, videos, etc. are all supported. We also do online websites and ordering.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #754 crookeddy, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    947k for the All Star Game across ESPN and Univision, drop of 50% from last year (Real Madrid effect) 67% decrease in Spanish and 8% decrease on ESPN from last year's match on FS1.

The All Star Game was the most watched soccer broadcast of the week if you include combined ratings. Individually, the 495k on Unimas would be 4th behind three Liga MX matches.

Women's soccer is also down 45%, likely due to the move from ESPN to FS1, making last year's All Star Game rating all the more remarkable.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #755 crookeddy, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    MLS Homegrown Game - 46k on UDN which seems good when compared to the only other youth soccer game that was on TV this week - the UEFA U19 championship between Spain and Germany which only got 19k on UDN.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    A few more ICC numbers
    Barcelona - Roma 250k
    Real Madrid - Juventus 151k
    Chelsea - Arsenal 146k
    Inter - Lyon 134k
    Man United - Real Madrid 125k (what happened there?)

Looks like ICC number have dipped below MLS!

Atlanta - Toronto 207k :)

STR1 repped this.
  7. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    20% of the time kids see your signage all the time.

jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, it's probably at least technically true that they aren't making money. But that may not count the value of keeping subscribers from cord-cutting to the entire Comcast enterprise.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC are creating a commercial terms for public places like bars to show Premier League Pass games. In the meantime they pay the same as an individual subscriber. So at some point you may have to look a bit harder to find a bar showing Bournemouth vs Cardiff City.

10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    You would think these networks would want more people to watch their content. More eyeballs = higher advertising income. I know that is a crazy concept.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Direct payments can monetize better than commercial views. I know that is a crazy concept.

superdave repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not both? Get direct income from subscribers, and then also collect ad revenue as well............. Two revenue streams is better then one

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So No Real Madrid (or Barcelona) but still higher rating on Spanish TV (495K) than English TV (452K if my math is correct).

Not bad at all, it seems that Spanish speakers do like (and have for a while based on prior years ratings) All Star games.

14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    two smaller revenue streams may not be better than one big one. It is only better if the two together are bigger than the one by itself. I question whether that is the case in this instance.
    They would most likely get much more than double the eyeballs without the paywall. I don't know what percentage higher advertising rates that would equate to.

15. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #765 NashSC, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    If that is the case then why has every channel not gone to this model for all content?

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Because you need a niche but highly dedicated base to make it work.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who watches the commercials in a bar?

Setanta used to charge pubs a fee of $20 per guest and would have agents do check-ups to make sure that receipts matched the number of people in the establishment.

18. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the on the TV front with NBC not making money on the Premier League and shifting majority of games to paywall. We have to remember that Premier League isn't broadcast during Prime ad time on TV, so it's not generating a ton of advertising dollars it could if it came on late afternoon or in primetime. With NBC going to a paywall direct pay system is probably doing ok now. Better than just airring a crap ton of games during less than desirable TV ad times i.e 7 am. The job in any business is to find the best ways to generate revenue and they've found the model.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unrelated to ratings but I got up at 8 this morning to watch QPR-Sheffield United. My TV was still on ESPN from last night and the Saturday morning 3-hour Sportscenter was starting when I turned it on. Taylor Twellman is co-hosting Sportscenter this morning after losing a bet during the World Cup. His first time behind the desk as an anchor in his career.

sitruc and Anderson11 repped this.
  21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not bad. He was on GetUp! a few weeks ago for a few days and did very well.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not too bad for his first time behind the desk.

23. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Did he just present info, or was he highly opinionated

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He did both.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United