The 2018 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And playoffs, that is where tv network make the money with the NHL and NBA.

Is like 2 different worlds.

TheJoeGreene and eddygee repped this.
  2. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think MLS will get a TV deal that is in the 300-400 mil range. I hope NHL can get the most amount as possible in 2021 as it will increase MLS TV value. I do see that NBC brass has griped about ratings. I hear message board rumors that Gary Bettman has said he wants at least $500 million US for the next US deal in 2021. Is that feasible especially with declining ratings on a whole NBCSN ratings have dropped about 80k-100k viewers on NBCSN since they signed their current deal. The numbers have been worse on NBC broadcast where they've lost about 280k since the last deal. That's not sustainable for them over the course of another 10 yrs and makes the playoffs not as valuable if they are losing everywhere else. That said I hope the Caps can finally win one for the area. Watched a bit of the LA and Vegas game last night it had a great atmosphere in the arena. Again I hope they get as much as possible though because it's easy for Garber to then say our average ratings are only 10-20% off of their's so we should get the market going rate for a US sports league.

If the NHL hits a brick wall it will make it that much harder for MLS to get a deal in the range I think the could get, unless by that time they are about even on cable or have passed NHL ratings on NBCSN. Right now NHL average season was 296k while a month and a half into MLS season MLS is averaging 321k.

3. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree MLS will never get the commercial money unless we go the Liga MX route and run a mini commercial box in audio during games. No one wants that. MLS has shown stars drive ratings for the league see Zlatan bump so you'd have to provide even more stars to keep people adequately tuning in for playoffs games to drive ratings. That won't happen til a bigger tv deal or they increase the DP allocation to 4.

4. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We have that here in colombia and it is horrible. Most of the time they put the damn add on top of the play. Sometimes you even miss goals. horrible.

Namrog The Just and Just Offside repped this.
  5. DanielCzech

DanielCzech Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    For MLS it is all about time. For example in Europe ice hockey lose their popularity in some contries due the immigration (people from Syria dont watch hockey:) ).

But now NHL and MLS are in different spaces in USA. In Chicago over two millions people watched Blackhawks´ parade. Can u imagine something like that due the MLS team?

And don´t forget Stanley Cup playoffs numbers. And local TV ratings in Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh etc.

6. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...final-on-record-without-an-original-six-team/

Yeah I agree Stanley Cup numbers are 4x MLS Cup playoff numbers the past few seasons. I looked back at the last MLS Cup broadcast on National Broadcast(Fox) and playoffs on cable (ESPN/FS1) in 2016 the average for the complete playoffs were 343k, while NHL'S total post season average was 1,387 million across all networks. I agree, it will take time or just buying up stars.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    As you can see from the Galaxy vs kc match ratings, that bump lasted one game.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where'd you see those numbers?

TheJoeGreene and edcrocker repped this.
  9. DanielCzech

DanielCzech Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    RfrancisR, ukraine76, eddygee and 2 others repped this.
  10. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need a bigger sample size of one game to determine that.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Investigate the (very small) ratings bump from Beckham in that case.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's pretty good!

In response to the initial argument though, people aren't tuning into those games for the MLS team. Chivas is a huge draw, so is America. Philadelphia - Pachuca isn't going to have the same pull.

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  13. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    #288 RfrancisR, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    It took you a bit to churn up this silly response. You claimed that MLS could not gain any credibility from CCL success because the viewership for CCL is “nearly nonexistent.” The correct response is “oh I was wrong. It has significant audience for soccer in America.” Humble pie. Eat it.

The whole point of CCL from MLS’s perspective is to get their product in front of soccer fans who aren’t tuning in to see their teams. Your wobbly attempt to rewrite your portion of the discussion here doesn’t negate my point, but underscores it.

eddygee and ukraine76 repped this.
  14. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Those playoff ratings are nice, but they are not worth $200m a year.

eddygee repped this.
  15. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22557721/nhl-gary-bettman-hits-back-nbc-ratings-decline-claim

Yeah I too suspect they won't get anywhere near the $500m they want I get the playoff argument and that NBC pays that much for the deal because of playoffs but I suspect that may only be half true and is even more less so now. one month of solid viewer ships for playoffs don't cover for a entire 6-7 month season nowadays.

NBC has openly gruffed about the poor ratings this season for NHL. If MLS had ESPN, FOX and Univision openly complaining about our ratings, 7 years into our 10 year deal we'd be shitting bricks and worrying about what our next TV deal would look like. NHL has benefited much from having the previous BIG 4 tag title in sponsorship deals. Much like a old TV star or player goes around bagging tail and getting into the cool night clubs. At some point it only will get them so far. Especially with the way they are expanding.

The league has inflated salaries compared to what they are bringing in, that was the cause of their last two lockouts. They will need a new rights deal of $500 mil or so to survive with how they have things set up and soon to be 32 teams if Seattle joins the league. The NHL players Union will not want to take a cut if the next TV deal isn't close to the money the were expecting. I will give it to Bettman though he knows how to find money so hopefully he has one more sweet TV deal for them so we can get our sweet heart deal. Which will benefit MLS much more.

16. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    #291 bbsbt, Apr 12, 2018
    Please elaborate more on the red part.

And btw, your English is good.
    But perhaps not your intentions. ;)

eddygee repped this.
  17. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Sheesh, the irony here.

I know, I'm being an ass, but I just couldn't resist. :p

18. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #293 eddygee, Apr 12, 2018
    Lol oh the irony you got me. Your= Your wallet You're=You're a ass :ROFLMAO: lol jk man. I'm often at work and quickly drop in to hurriedly post a thought and don't always get to proof read what I typed.

bbsbt repped this.
  19. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    #294 RfrancisR, Apr 12, 2018
    Concacaf Semi-fnal TV ratings

1st Leg

Toronto v Club America 515k
    Chivas vs New York 649k

2nd Leg

Club America v Toronto 886k
    New York v Chivas 665k

Semifinals Average: 679k

The CCL matters. LigaMx is sending their A teams to play MLS teams. LigaMX teams are in late season form. It is, thus, a no excuses competition. And while the CCL has no English language TV presence, a sizable audience of, mostly, non-MLS fans are being exposed to the competitive quality of MLS teams. A Toronto win in the finals will likely be the most consequential on-field accomplishment, from a league growth perspective, in MLS history.

Earlier in the tournament, I asserted that an MLS win in the finals would garner significant coverage in English language sports media. The argument against my position was that US English language sports media could careless about the tournament. On its face it was sound enough objection. After all the English language sports media has never given coverage of this tournament. My response was that the reason that coverage never came before is that MLS was not getting the kind of results that would pique the interest of America’s very jingoistic sports media.

Even as Toronto are a Canadian team, they play in an “American” league, thus I predicted that their success would bring with it more English language coverage. Toronto’s win, and the Red Bull’s loss, was in fact featured more prominently on both ESPN and Sports Illustrated’s web page, both stories making the front page. On Sports Illustrated, Toronto’s triumph was one the leading stories on SI.com on Wednesday morning. Never underestimate the American sports’ media’s results oriented coverage. Winning matters, and “unexpected” wins matter more. Now, it is up to Toronto. If they meet expectations, even more prominent coverage will come.

Stupid_American and eddygee repped this.
  20. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #295 eddygee, Apr 12, 2018

Yeah I had to re read that "in loss" part a couple of times, it can't be more false. The league isn't in loss. I'll cut him some slack since he's the the Czech Republic and probably presumes what he reads online from the once or twice a year Garber article stating "Let me tell you about these 10 International TV deals we just signed and we just signed a handful of deals with new sponsors too. and oh wait did I tell you we're losing money" Lol sponsors don't willingly throw away money and product on a "in loss" venture @DanielCzech the league isn't losing money. I wouldn't be surprised due to the large number of undisclosed dollar amounts of so many deals if revenues aren't 1 billion + US right now. We only get dollar amounts of any deals when the other sponsor leaks them. The league is tight to the vest with financials understandably for CBA negotiation purposes. MLS Players union hasn't been in a strong enough position to force their hand yet.

21. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    All CONCACAF Champions League TV ratings*

Feb 20:

Herediano vs Tigres 209k

Feb 21:

Motagua vs Tijuana 156k

Saprissa vs America 432k

Feb 22:

Olimpia vs New York 142k

Cibao FC vs Chivas 315k

Feb 27:

Tigres vs Herediano 294k

Tijuana vs Motagua 275k

Feb 28:

Chivas vs Cibao FC 401k

America vs Saprissa 537k

March 1:

New York vs Olimpia 155k

Seattle vs Santa Tecla 186k

March 6:

Tijuana vs New York 279k

America vs Tauro 370k

March 7:

Toronto FC vs Tigres 330k

Seattle vs Chivas 531k

March 13:

New York vs Tijuana 269k

Tigres vs Toronto 510k

March 14:

Tauro vs America 374k

Chivas vs Seattle 737k

April 3:

Toronto vs America 515k

April 4:

Chivas vs New York 649k

April 10:

America vs Toronto 886k

New York vs Chivas 665k

CCL Average TV rating to date:

23 games at 400.7k

*If I am missing any broadcasts, or have duplicated any, please let me know and I will correct the data.

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Epic ratings for the semis considering the channel they were on.

Most interesting thing here: Games not involving a Mexican team still drew about as well as an MLS regular season game. The narrative that nobody watches the CCL is dead.

RfrancisR and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  23. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    May be able to real one million for the finals. Another benefit, and probably the biggest, will be the effect a Toronto win has the CONCACAF Champions League as a marketable competition. Until now CCL has been a bit more than a novelty. That’s its doing so well under that condition is remarkable. Attendances and TV ratings for CCL can soar if the expectation that an MLS team can win rivals the expectation that a LigaMX team can win. The next biggest moment will be when an American team wins the CCL.

I don’t want to get ahead of myself. Something strange has happened, I am not sitting here hoping TFC will win this thing. I fully expect that they will win. Times, they are a changing!

It feels very good being an MLS fan right now.

Len and eddygee repped this.
  24. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Not for all of us.

jayd8888 and Kev_K repped this.
  25. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry man for the Crew at least if it comes down to the Crew moving I at least hope they give Ohio another team in Cincinnati. What would be better is if Austin never gets a team even if they move and Ohio gets to keep a team at least people in Ohio can still root for a Ohio team.