News: The 2018/19 Season Preview, Discussion & Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monchi would certainly appear to be a very good choice: the history of his moves a Sevilla particularly and now at Roma since he's been in charge, really speak for themselves.
    Really would not be against going with the model of looking to hire ex players (like Bayern does for instance), as their knowledge and connection to the club can make them excellent candidates for the job.
    But due to the fact that it will be a new position for the club, it's important to get it right and the best bet would be to go with one of the best who are currently (or have recently) fulfilled this position elsewhere.
    The top candidates on my list would be: Michael Zorc from Dortmund, Monchi, Berta (for the job he used to do with Atleti) and Rangnick also. There likely are others, but that's where I'd start, if I were Woodward. Surely, the prospect of overseeing a new project at a club of United's stature would be appealing to one of those guys.

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Bring back Levy as DOF

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berta, along with Zorc, have been personal favorites of mine for quite some time. Apparently, Mourinho wanted Berta (who has ties with Mendes apparently) to get the job when he first came to the club.
    Don't know what his current status is, think he might be with PSG (not 100% on that however) and if that's the case, unless he's ready for a new challenge, it might not be easy prying him away from there.
    Woodward does need to throw the big bucks though, to make this position appealing to the top candidates we'd be looking to target.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I dont know where, but didnt he just take a job recently at another big club?

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Morata won't leave Juve. There are better choices available anyway. I'd take Berta ahead of him and probably RBL DOF ahead of him as well.

7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think he said he'd leave when his contract is up in 2021. Doubt it though, he's been at the club his whole life.

benni... repped this.
  8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's right, but Morata runs that ship. I'd be interested to see how much power Paratici actually has behind the scenes.

Morata was the DOF and was eventually elected CEO. He brought in Paratici as the head of scouting and eventually promotod him to DOF.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He (Berta) left Atleti, didn't he? Personally, I don't believe that he and Simeone are a package deal. They did great work together at the club, but Berta seems ready to try himself elsewhere, whereas Cholo appears to be deeply entrenched now at the club, after rumors of him possibly leaving last year.
    Also believe that Mendes actually could be a big factor potentially in where Berta ends up. I also think the odds of being United's DoF would have been very high, if Woodward had signed on for the position when Mourinho signed with the club (he was lobbying hard for it, if rumors were true).
    Would love it though, if he were the guy...

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol....Simeone?

******** no. It's bad enough with Jose.

12. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    can we at least verify he's talking about the same Simeone that we are talking about? Because I had the same reaction when I read his post

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simeone at best, would be kind of like Mourinho, prior to his Real stint. Nowhere near what we would want at the club, or who we shoud shoot for. The only way he would be somewhat tolerable is because we know we might have a chance to win some trophies and titles. But we need to get off this mentality, as it's what got Mourinho at United in the first place.
    He definitely should not be among our top options: not that it matters anyway. He's in a good situation at Atleti: new stadium, competitive team with players who love him, same goes for the fans. And if he ever leaves, it will probably be for Inter anyhow.
    Just not what we want from a style point of view: would hope that we've learned our lesson with Mourinho...

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Simeone's teams plays the same as Jose's, they just press higher up initially and have players more suited for their counter attacking style than our current United team.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a team that primarily play great defensive football is not what the club is about, nor what should be our primary aim.
    We want to be good and solid defensively, but it's just as important that we effective and eye pleasing going forward.
    That line of thinking is how Mourinho, for instance, is our manager. The goal is to be what we were from 2007 to 2010, from the mid 90s until early 2000s and so on. That is what United is about.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd be a better defensive coach than Jose too if I had better defenders at each position and 3 pacy technical forwards to mix and match and a stellar midfield as well.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The DoF debate should be it's own thread, no? Just need it seconded and I will create it.

19. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing. Go for it.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think we need a DOF thread because I don't think we're getting one anytime soon.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Too late!

22. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You grumpy old man.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    What do you expect? He lives in Missouri. He’s miserable.

MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central Midfielders right on top of each other as well which makes it difficult to move the ball forward.