News: The 2018/19 Season Preview, Discussion & Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. If I were a betting man I’d put in a bet on us catching Spurs. But fourth place is ours now. Remarkable.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not worried about Chelsea at all anymore. Sarri doesn't have the players to play his system and is tactically inflexible so he won't change. Their driving force, Hazard, has clearly quit on the team. I'll be shocked if he's there next year .

I can't see Arsenal putting up a fight either. Their defense is too awful and their offense is punching about their weight statistically.

The only worry about dropping out of the top 4 now is an injury to Pogba. He's so crucial to our team and style of play. If we lose him long term we will struggle. We don't have anyone that comes close to replacing what he does.

johno repped this.
  3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree to some extent. I think Spurs have sold their soul this season. They have GOT to be something like 15 points better than their numbers show but they keep putting together results.

I'm slightly worried about Chelsea and Arsenal only in that they have enough talent to put some wins together. If we ever get 5 points ahead of 5th place I'd feel a lot better, but there's no guarantees of that and we are about to enter a very difficult period of fixtures.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #279 Ashur, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    We've got Wolves away in the next round of the FA Cup. Another tough tie for us.
    The full draw:
    • Swansea v Manchester City
    • Watford v Crystal Palace
    • Wolves v Manchester United
    • Millwall v Brighton

5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    City getting a ********ing cake walk so far.

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1097623574096105472 is not a valid tweet id

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Wengers opinion after PsG game.

You can say what you want about him and a person and a coach, you cannot deny yhe truth Wenger is speaking here.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It seems to me that Arsenal or Chelsea have a decent chance of winning the Europa league, that gives one of them CL. I forget whether that would mean 5 or 4 BPL teams qualify?

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arsenal or Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the EL, that will make it 5 Prem teams in the CL. Just as was the case when we won it in 16-17.
    For me personally, Arsenal have the better chance of winning it, because of Emery, but there are still lots of very good teams left in the competition and they're both still longshots to win. With a little luck in the draw though, then who knows?

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #289 Ashur, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Still buzzing like crazy over yesterday's game. Trying to keep my feet on the ground but you can't help but wonder all the same, what's next? We are in all likelihood looking to get back to full strength (or very close to it) within the next couple of weeks, with essential players refreshed by their enforced break and should be raring to go for the run in. We have found a newfound depth that hopefully we'll keep making use of and rotate more with the starters/regulars.
    Looking forward to the CL 1/4 draw though: should we make it to the semis then anything is possible. Same goes with the FA Cup if we can get past Wolves. But first we've got Arsenal this weekend and we have to make sure we get a result there. But anything looks to be possible now under Ole: he's brought the joy and belief back to the club and the fans.
    What a season of 2 halves though. Going from the constant misery of Mourinho (who killed our chances for the season before a ball was even kicked), the almost inevitable expectation of poor play and bad results. To go from there to the rebirth we've experienced under Ole and bringing back feelings we haven't felt really since SAF stepped down. He had done so much and more than enough to deserve the job, but after yesterday's masterclass, there should be no doubt. Have no idea what is in store for the remainder of the season, but one thing is for sure: we are happy, proud and dreaming big again as United fans and that is worth everything.

15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    The arsenal game is a banana peel game now.

jnielsen and JamesA repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game has been a worry for me given their recent form. Add on top of that their desire for payback and the rivalry between both clubs makes this game very dangerous.
    Everyone from the staff in down will need to be sharp for this one.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Incredible really that we've hardly dropped points, advanced in both cups and withstood all these damn injuries. We need to kick on. We can't let our momentum slip.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    100% agree. Coming off such a high it would be normal to have a letdown game. Unfortunately, it's likely that this game decides who finishes 4th.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Also don't forget Arse are playing today against Rennes away.

Pogba will be back and hopefully someone else like Herrera/Martial/Lingard??

20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They have to take that competition seriously too given the prize at the end.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The BT sports short film was also very touchy ..

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looking at the fixture list of Us, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs it's clear that us and Chelsea have an uphill battle.

Essentially our top 4 race will be decided in the next two games against Arsenal and Chelsea.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad result today, but in the grand scheme of things, there's no real reason to panic just yet. Tottenham's collapse means that we've got 4 teams competing for 2 CL spots. And we're still just 3pts off Spurs.
    Our run in is more difficult but the teams around us (Chelsea and Spurs in particular) have not been in great form. We've got to rebound in our next league game at the end of the month. First have to take care of business vs Wolves in the FA Cup, which will not be easy but we've got to go for it.
    The season is far from over, we're getting our injured players back. Let's go for it. The CL remains as it was before our miracle in Paris: a bonus. The FA Cup is our only realistic hope at a trophy, but it does not supersede the league and finishing top 4. We can do this still, but the next home game vs Watford is key.

25. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Standings:

Spurs 61
    Arse 50