The 2017 Playoff Chase

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 28, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get where you are coming from with this, but in 2013 RSL also:
    • Lost to DC United (twice, in fact) who was historically bad
    • Gave up a 93 min goal in MTL to lose
    • Somehow drew with Philly on the 3rd of July with a questionable pk for Javi
    • Lost 4-3 in NY after Sabo scored a ********ing hat-trick to put us up 3-2 in the 82 min
    • Drew 3-3 at POR in stoppage time via the Flow, Cole Grossman
    It wasn't just that moment. We had plenty of moments that season. Same with this one season - 3 games in a row at home and only getting 3 points comes to mind.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (as of 10/9/17)
    EASTERN CONFERENCE
    1. Toronto FC
    65pts. 32GP. 2.03PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 vs Montreal
    10/22 at Atlanta

2. New York City FC
    56pts. 32GP. 1.75PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 at New England
    10/22 vs Columbus

3. Atlanta United FC
    53pts. 32GP. 1.66PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 at New York Red Bulls
    10/22 vs Toronto FC

4. Chicago Fire
    52pts. 32GP. 1.63PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 vs Philadelphia
    10/22 at Houston

5. Columbus Crew SC
    50pts. 32GP. 1.56PPG. 2GR. 0 Home. 2 Away

10/15 at Orlando
    10/22 at New York City FC

6. New York Red Bulls
    46pts. 32GP. 1.44PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 vs Atlanta
    10/22 at DC United

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    1. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    51pts. 32GP. 1.59PPG.23GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 vs San Jose
    10/22 at Portland

2. Sporting Kansas City
    48pts. 31GP. 1.57PPG. 3GR. 1 Home. 2 Away

10/11 at Houston
    10/15 vs Houston
    10/22 at Real Salt Lake

3. Portland Timbers
    47pts. 32GP. 1.47PPG. 2GR. 2 Home. 0 Away

10/16 vs DC United
    10/22 vs Vancouver

4. Seattle Sounders
    47pts. 32GP. 1.47PPG. 2GR. 2 Home. 0 Away

10/15 vs FC Dallas
    10/22 vs cRapids

5. Houston Dynamo
    43pts. 31GP. 1.39PPG. 3GR. 2 Home. 1 Away

10/11 vs Sporting KC
    10/15 at Sporting KC
    10/22 vs Chicago

6. FC Dallas
    43pts. 32GP. 1.34PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 at Seattle
    10/22 vs LA Galaxy

7. Real Salt Lake
    42pts. 32GP. 1.31PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 at cRapids
    10/22 vs Sporting KC

8. San Jose Earthquakes
    42pts. 32GP. 1.31PPG. 2GR. 1 Home. 1 Away

10/15 at Vancouver
    10/22 vs Minnesota

Overall Table
    1. TFC
    2. NYCFC
    3. ATL
    4. CHI
    5. VAN
    6. CLB
    7. SKC
    8. POR
    9. SEA
    10. NYRB
    11. HOU
    12. FCD
    13. RSL
    14. SJ
    15. MTL
    16. NER
    17. PHI
    18. ORL
    19. MIN
    20. DCU
    21. CRP
    22. LAG

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • The East is set, its all just jockeying for position. I don't expect much to change, honestly. ATL has the most difficult schedule, so I doubt they jump above NYCFC for that bye. CLB and CHI could possibly switch, but it won't be anything drastic.
    • What is nuts is that the East is fully set, while the West only has one team clinched. It's a very low probability that teams in the top 4 drop out entirely, but you never know.
    • The midweek SKC/HOU game is massive for us. This will level the playing field in terms of games played. No more worries or hypotheticals with games in hand. On Thursday, we'll have a true shot of what the table looks like.

4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I don't know exactly what happened, so I'm making some assumptions here, but if a team asked a ref about a rule, I'd be inclined to allow the league to extend that team the benefit of the doubt. They shouldn't have asked the ref, so they get fined, but they made a seemingly good-faith, if ultimately misguided, effort to adhere to the rules, so they don't have to suffer a forfeit.

As to why the league didn't fine the ref, I thought that they're not league employees. Has MLS ever fined a ref for something?

The Franchise repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not as caught up in all of this as I should be, but reading these posts something jumps out at me: is the league acting innocent on this like they didn't oversee the match? What is being painted in these posts is like the two teams showed up, a ref came, they were like "hey lets play a game" and the league was notified later. That's not how this works. I get updates on my god damn phone from the league app for lineup announcements, when the kickoff is, when a goal happens, etc. The league was involved here. Heavily.

Ivensor, goobx1 and The Franchise repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I really hope that this one point doesn't help or hinder any team but I would bet it will come down to one point out in the West.

What a shame that MLS didn't take the opportunity to give their rules a little boost of integrity by actually, you know, following them. I can tell you one thing and MLS is not the PGA when it comes to following it's own rules/laws of the game regardless of how silly they seem.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/exclusive-matthew-southgate-freak-incident-210000264.html

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I think the league should actually follow their rules? Of course.

However, you gotta look at this from an FCD perspective and ask "How the hell did we get all the way to here before anyone said anything?" The league ********ed this up. They didn't bother to follow their own rules while FCD did everything they should have leading up to the game to give the league a chance to step in.

It's like getting pulled over for speeding and the cop giving you a warning. And then a week later some other guy is like "hey, your tail light is out" and the cop catching wind of it and going "hey, it was then, too. Here's a ticket" That's... not fair. Nor is it the best analogy

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think it sucks all the way round for FCD, Orlando and the other teams that could be affected by what happened.

I think that the story from the PGA that I linked to is a pretty good example.

A golfer puttts the ball and a leave is blown into his ball. If he had followed the rules which from the story sounds like he should have and put the ball back to where he putted first and then re-putted from there no penalty. He marks the ball and puts from the new spot and then, after the round was over and someone saw it on twitter and reported it, the golfer was assessed several strokes for not following the rules during the round and then two strokes for signing a wrong score card. Brutal. He also lost his PGA tour card for next year because he didn't follow the rules.

His response to the event is I should have known the rules.

FCD should have known the rules, regardless of whether or not the mistake was made by the "officials" on the field and at the game or not. If they didn't follow the rule, and if no one caught it before or during the game, so what? It's an MLS rule. Follow the rules.

I still think that as much as it would suck for FCD to lose a point MLS by not following it's own rules missed a golden opportunity to infuse a little integrity into the leagues perception.

Golf may have the most ridiculous and stringent and sometimes weird and confusing rules but what they don't lack for is integrity surrounding those rules. Can't say the same for MLS. In fact, one could argue that the rules in MLS are exactly like getting a speeding ticket. Depending upon the MLS cop that pulls you over, where he pulls you over, like say LA, or any other "sexy" location your odds of actually getting a ticket a dramatically less than say Columbus Ohio.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, you set that up for a race joke so well and then went with "sexy" and "LA"...

10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess we can officially call it the MLS 'rule' book. If they're not willing to enforce a clear cut rule, what's the point of having one? This isn't some kind of subjective rule that's open to interpretation. Whether the ref said it's fine or not shouldn't matter.

I'd be willing to bet if this happened in the first half of the season, the rule is far more likely to be enforced. Which is stupid really. The rules are the rules all season, not just when the league feels like it. I feel like as any owner, whether this affects them or not, should be upset about this.

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's even examples of golf officials on the course telling a player it was OK to do something that was against the rules and the player suffers the sanction of not following the rule, regardless of the course official's allowance.

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And golf is one where I'd honestly have a hard time keeping track of the various rules. There seems to be a lot of really minor rules that rarely if ever come into play, so not knowing them is more understandable. Even still, they actually enforce the rules and keep their integrity. MLS could learn a thing or two from them.

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The golf analogy is imperfect because for golfers, rule enforcement during the competition relies on the player himself. In soccer, this responsibility almost always lies with the head referee; if there's play worthy of a foul, the referee says so. It is not the individual players doing the fouling or being fouled who make these calls.

The best analogy is a police officer; if their words or actions overtly or implicitly communicate that something of unclear legality is tolerated, it often provides protection within certain bounds: a patrolman waving someone through a closed railroad crossing, for example, but cannot give legal protection for business tax laws.

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your police example, MLS would be like the judge, who should be enforcing the rules. Just because the officer (ref) says it's ok, doesn't mean it's ok. It can also be a pretty flimsy defense if you're supposed to be aware of the rules beforehand. It's also a very black and white rule. Some of the rules are more subjective, so I can understand different interpretations. Roster rules aren't. I feel like the fact they asked the ref at all shows they knew the rule. It was their way of having someone else to blame if they were caught. Had they just done it and not said anything beforehand, I would've had an easier time believing it was an honest mistake.

I've had coworkers pull the same stuff. Ask about how to do something they've known for years how to do, because it gave them someone to throw under the bus if something happened for some reason. It was their way of trying to break the rules, because someone else said they could do it, even though they knew the answer before asking.

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your points on golf are not true, there are several marshals on the course watching and taking note of players throughout any given round of a tournament. Yes, players are relied upon to report some infractions or questionable instances during play, but they are also constantly be monitored by officials as well. Another factor that you also did not consider is that golf rules are also subject to fan input/monitoring, there are have been several examples of fans submitting evidence to the USPGA and marshals which has resulted in players be docked strokes, this doesn't happen in any other sport that I'm aware of.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    question on this - was the FCD ineligible player at all a known issue prior to Paul Tenorio bringing it to light?

17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly unclear: golf regulation is not solely the responsibility of the player, but they do bear full liability. In most team sports, something needs to be egregiously dangerous or otherwise quite unusual to be addressed after a game, and there is no responsibility or expectation to call fouls on oneself.

18. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Tenorio reported that the League was already looking into it when he contacted them about this. I think he also guessed that Orlando probably notified the league about it, since they for sure would have noticed that the player who was removed from the lineup was then subbed in to the game.

15 to 32 repped this.
  19. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Uggh.. Houston.

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston up 2-1 on KC, not good

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fun at 1-0 SKC.

This is a double dammit, as Houston gets 3 and SKC has to play hard against us that last game of the season.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, look more like we're now in a 3 team battle for 6th than a 4 team battle for 5th and 6th. Hell, Houston could realistically jump all the way ahead of SKC if they take their points. This playoff chase is nuts.

So it comes down to FCD, SJ, and ourselves. I see both SJ and FCD losing this weekend. All 3 of us are on the road. Our game is significantly easier than the others (SEA and VAN). You have to expect both teams will win their last home games, as we flip to the other end of the spectrum and host the most difficult game. That means the bar, IMO, is still 46 points. A win this weekend would be a big step towards that and leave us room to only have to draw against SKC, likely.

Oh, only needing a draw in the last game of the season? Where have I heard this one before...

DrownedElf, Todorojo, Allez RSL and 6 others repped this.
  23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I'm going to go back to just assuming that we won't make the playoffs this year. I was happier before I thought we had a chance.

TheBiff, BalanceUT, goobx1 and 3 others repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without Savarino, I don't see us favored to win in either game.

goobx1 and Allez RSL repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely see our chances being worse without Savarino, but I think our overall play has been good enough to get in. Certainly harder with that Houston win, but I still think we get in. Obviously the results of this week will heavily swing my thoughts one way or the other.