The 2017 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympics maybe?

2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'd go with. And Google agrees; nearly all of the front page results are related to the US Olympic Committee.

3. DanielCzech

DanielCzech Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    11/29/2017:

COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN L: DUKE/INDIANA 1.6M (regular season)
    LIGA MX 11/29: SF: AMERICA / TIGRES 828k (play-off)
    NHL REGULAR SEASON L: TAMPA/BOSTON 424k (regular season)
    MLS PLAYOFFS L: CONF CHAMP:TORONTO/COLUMBUS CREW 223k (play-off)

4. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SEA-HOU match on ESPN drew 397k on Thursday night.

SOURCE: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...able-originals-network-finals-11-30-2017.html

Please also note that both of these figures (the 397k on ESPNfor Thurs night and the 223k on FS1 for the TFC-CLB match on Wed night) do not include the Spanish-language audience for the simulcasts on ESPN Deportes and Fox Deportes, respectively. We also haven't seen TSN audience numbers yet. And given Toronto's success in the playoffs, those numbers are likely statistically significant in determining overall audience/scope.

5. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    United States Olympic Committee.

6. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    TFC / Columbus 2nd leg drew 641k in English Canada...

dbailey62, RfrancisR and Stupid_American repped this.
  7. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Is it normal for non-MLS cities to end up in the top-10 ratings lists for MLS games? It seems odd to me, and seems to contradict the idea that "growing the footprint" is going to increase national tv ratings. Shouldn't cities like KC, Houston, etc., who had teams in the playoffs, get higher ratings than Albuquerque and Norfolk?

If many of the cities that actually have MLS teams aren't watching neutral games more than people in non-MLS cities, wouldn't the league get better ratings by staying smaller, concentrating more on improving quality of play, and putting the most popular teams on tv more, instead of continuing to expand and diluting the player pool more?

It's obviously only one data point, so it doesn't make sense to jump to conclusions based only on that, but it struck me as odd, so I hope others who have followed the ratings more closely can provide some insight. Maybe there are hundreds of cities in a cluster around .3?

11. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I don't think the people on this website and ussf/mls realize how much southwest Ohio and Appalachia like soccer. It's kind of blowing up all their stupid models

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  12. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I wasn't referring to the Ohio cities specifically. Or Nashville. They probably want to see MLS because they might be joining soon. Or they are Columbus fans, or part of the #savethecrew movement. But Albuquerque and Norfolk are head scratchers to me.

13. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    And Knoxville. And no it isn't part of Nashville. Completely separate markets separated by several/couple hours of driving time.

14. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Irritatingly, while MLS Cup is airing on Eurosport 2 in some European markets, in the Netherlands it is only being carried on their extra-cost "Eurosport Player" streaming service. (Eurosport 1 will be showing snooker, Eurosport 2 has Juventus - Inter followed by some as-yet unnamed match.)

I don't know for certain whether this is good news for MLS (the match is being used as bait for Eurosport Player) or bad news (snooker and literally any other soccer match are more popular than the MLS Cup final) but I rather suspect the latter.

15. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    So, what are the odds we get similar ratings this year as last year?

Points in favor: Only slight competition, Strong market in Seattle involved. Playoff ratings were up 18% on ESPN/ESPN2, and regular season was flat, Columbus not in the Cup. Same two teams, perhaps tne same result. Rematches in games like this could increase interests, A USA team against a Canadian team might get more neutrals involved as they root for the “home country’s team.” Great story lines, revenge-seeking Toronto attempting to cap “the greatest season ever, Dempsey would play adding a new dimension to this game that was missing last year, Seattle’ unheard of shutout streak is on the line. These teams finished their seasons as either 1 or 2 in their conference, without some regular season mediocre teams who pull off a couple of stunning upsets leaving us with an MLS Cup that looks nothing like a championship game, the game is likely to draw more interest from neutrals.

Points against: Not in primetime, not on broadcast TV. TFC and Seattle are not virgin participants this year. The novelty of being in the MLS Cup has gone away. Same two teams might reduce interests. People do like great underdog stories, and neither of these teams are real underdog teams in the post season. Some fans who are irate about Columbus’ move to Austin may have decided to boycott MLS.

16. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The end of the world as we know it!

jayd8888 repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sydney A-League derby attracted 81,000 viewers in Oz compared to 331,000 for the women's cricket match broadcast at the same time.
    81,000 looks terrible until you realize that population wise it's the equivalent of 1 million in the US.

19. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Wow! A 3.2 from Louisville has to be one of the highest ratings for MLS is a neutral market.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over half 7 vs. 6 were non MLS markets.

I believe Columbus was the only MLS 1.0 market in the top 13.

21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    331K for women's cricket in a country less than a tenth the size of the US.

Of course, as a former resident of Australia, my dad would watch cricket any day of the week. He loves it.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The peak so far for women's cricket is 441k.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

24. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm betting the Canadian numbers will be pretty impressive. MLS is comparatively much stronger in Canada and having Canada's biggest market in the final won't hurt either.

25. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup 2017 television ratings on ESPN rise 75 percent over 2015 edition
    Year Matchup Metered Market Rating
    2013 Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake 0.5
    2014 LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution 0.6
    2015 Columbus Crew SC vs. Portland Timbers 0.4
    2017 Toronto FC vs. Seattle Sounders 0.7

MLS Cup 2017 television ratings on ESPN rise 75 percent over 2015 ...
    mlssoccer