The 2017 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it's a press release (i.e., inherent self-interest and potential spin), here's some good news from the Univision/MLS partnership side.

URL: https://corporate.univision.com/cor...year-year-among-total-viewers-2-adults-18-49/

Excerpt: "Audience growth was also amplified by Univision Deportes’ broadcast of MLS fútbol matches on Univision networks. MLS on Univision’s flagship channels – Univision and UniMás – averaged 310,000 Total Viewers 2+ and 156,000 Adults 18-49, up +24 percent and +16 percent from the prior year, respectively. This has been the best quarter ever for MLS fútbol viewership on Univision Networks; in fact, Q3 2017 is on pace to be MLS’ most-viewed season ever on the leading Spanish-language networks. Additionally, telecast of MLS fútbol matches on Univision and UniMás have outperformed telecast of the MLS matches on FOX Sports 1 by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49, as well as on ESPN by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+."

2. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    310,000 is damned good for MLS matches. And it is encouraging to see this growth on Spanish language telecasts because of the growing hispanic population in the US. That bodes well for the future, and this appears not to include simulcasts on Univision Deportes, so the total audience for MLS matches on Unimas and Univision could be around 340,000 - 350,000. In my mind, this yoy growth may indicate growing acceptance of MLS in the hispanic community. Nothing but good news here. MLS should be pleased.

barroldinho, deejay, Centennial and 2 others repped this.
  3. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Yes that's a really good number. The Hispanic population is still a little under 20% of the total U.S. population. Use that as an imperfect proxy for the Spanish language TV audience and it is impressive that there are more MLS TV viewers in the Spanish language audience (<20%) than the rest of America (>80%).

4. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #529 whiteonrice04, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    To go along with our continuing conversation about the TV industry changing....
    Comcast just announced a nationwide TV streaming service. If that doesn't tell you something then you are blind. A huge cable TV company just released a streaming only TV service. There are new TV streaming services coming out every day. Hulu live just came out also.

I will say if Comcast wants to be competitive with with Sling, PlayStation Vue, Hulu live, etc they are going to have to offer more channels. Just looking at the sports add on they have no FS2, Bein Sports (you have to add an additional package to get Bein), SEC network. The starter package gives you only networks, which most people can get 80% of for free over the air.
    https://www.xfinity.com/learn/insta...dHoc_CM_XITVUpgrade_NonStreamParticipants_SLA

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially with the Fubo.tv channel having com out. 75 channels that cover everything that sports shows up on, even the auxiliary channels used by NBC for Premier League, etc.

6. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    My problem with fubo is is claims to be sports focused but gives you no access to any ESPN networks which literally every other streaming service does.

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god, that's hideous.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a situation where a cable channel paid the Lakers a ridiculous sum of money to carry their games, and then tried to get cable and other distributors to pay them a ridiculous sum for that channel. Most balked, and the upshot is that the Lakers (and Gals) have low availability.

Hopefully someone in LA can confirm this or correct me.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Nope. This is the one where they paid the Lakers and Galaxy insane amounts, and then did succeed in getting other distributors in paying them ridiculous amounts. The distribution for this channel is fine. Then they tried the same thing (new channel) for teh Dodgers... and nobody carries it but TWC. (Leading to the Dodgers leading MLB in attendance). At face value it was a terrible financial decision, but in reality it's why I and many other people still pay $100+/month for cable. This channel will never be on streaming.

11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The broadcast rights belong to the home team. They were bid on in a process which I'm certain was as fair and above board as any enterprise which BeIN's ownership takes part in.

ceezmad, bselig and sitruc repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Eventually posters in this thread will understand how the broadcasts happen and networks are chosen.

HailtotheKing, usadcu, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What evidence leads you to that conclusion? :D

barroldinho, ceezmad, Kejsare and 4 others repped this.
  15. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dodgers have traditionally led MLB in attendance as far back as the Memorial Stadium days. The only stadium larger than Dodger Stadium at any point in time was the old Mistake by the Lake. Millennials may only recall the years when the Dodgers sucked and no one cared.

And they're historically good right now, and LA fans are nothing if not frontrunners.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just that. This deal involved Traffic as they were the ones that bought all of the CFU home broadcast rights and then held the bidding war that beIN won. I'm absolutely positive there were no kickbacks to Traffic's BoG and/or the various CFU federation heads involved in this. Traffic is an upstanding organization that has totally never been investigated by the FBI and certainly never indicted by the DoJ..

usadcu, PTFC in KCMO, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CFU, Traffic, and BeIN Sports? With fine citizens like these, I'm surprised anyone could even conceptualize the slightest hint of impropriety.

(Oh, for added current relevance, BeIN Media owns Miramax. That's right; we're talking about Harvey Weinstein's bosses.)

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The Vet was bigger, unless they downsized Dodger Stadium.

Thx,

Jay!

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Nope.

Thx,

Jay!

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN is expensive right, if you want to keep cost low, cutting ESPN is a good way to do it.

The Franchise repped this.
  21. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Fubo isn't any lower than any of the other streaming services.

22. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Is it possible to simply get a ratings number i.e rating rose or fell by X % over the year

23. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the last few seasons, John Ourand (a writer for the Sports Business Journal) has embedded a table like the one I've posted below in his end-of-season MLS TV summary article. I'm hoping he does the same again this year.

[​IMG]

24. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    If you really want to increase exposure need to have games on standard channels. ABC NBC cbs fox

25. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello 1996

JasonMa and superdave repped this.