News: The 2017/18 Season Preview, Discussion & Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    9th behind Leicester and CP.

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I get the target should be winning the EPL and CL and all that, but realisticly given where we are at currently what would be an acceptable season?

For me, being in the hunt for the title for the first two-thirds of the season and finishing in the top three, getting out of the CL group stages and going out to one of the teams currently better than us (Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc.) would be par. Plus a decent run in one of the cups.

johno and thenamestsam repped this.
  3. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    City look like clear favorites in the league to me. They still have obvious weaknesses, but they were already much closer to Chelsea than point totals made it appear and while they've certainly overpaid for some of their acquisitions they've acquired mostly good players in areas of need. If they struggle though then I think we've got as good a shot as anyone to pick up the slack.

Chelsea, Spurs and even Liverpool I think have arguably stronger first 11s than us, but all have significant depth issues barring more transfer business still to come. That makes it very hard to predict them. One of those three will probably have good injury luck and be a strong contender, one will have average luck and have a good shot for top 4, and one will have poor luck and slump out of the Champions league. Which is which, I have no idea. The one thing we have going for us is a relatively flat talent structure (partially due to a lack of truly top level players) at most positions.

Scenario A: City have a good season and win the league by a solid margin.
    Scenario B: City have a poor season and it's a dogfight between City, United and whoever from the Pool, Spurs, Chelsea group can keep their first 11 on the field.

Either way I think we make top 4 although I expect it to be rocky until the very end.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our goals for this season, at minimum, should be: being in the title race, finishing not lower than 3rd. In Europe, we should get out of the CL group stages and depending on the draw, pass a round or two in the knockout stage. And if we're not going to win the title, at least secure a FA Cup win.
    City are the clear favorites for me as well, but as things stand, not overly worried about anyone else. It could change by the end of the month, especially if Chelsea make the moves that Conte wants.
    Our main concern will clearly be our goalscoring output: if Lukaku can perform as expected, and at least a couple of players can chip in with double digit returns, then we should be fine. If not, we really could again be looking at a repeat of last season. Don't see him happening though.

5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, for most part. We need Anthony and Henrikh to do their part. If they don't, we ain't lifting no major trophies this season.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It really depends in how Mourinho sets up the team to play. Martial can't score if he isn't given a good amount of playing time on a regular basis.

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True, and if Anthony as well as Henrikh don't see much playing time this season I don't see where the chance creation will come from. We'll manufacture some goals without them, but as I see it those two will be crucial to whatever success we may enjoy.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's bad form to quote oneself, but since we have a poster here who quotes himself all the time I'll indulge myself this one occasion.

Key to our attacking success this season will be Martial and Mikhtaryan and so far they've done the job. I get what Jose was thinking by not starting Martial today but once he came on in the second half, we began to tear Swansea apart. Miki started but didn't hit top gear until Martial came on.

Putting aside the LB question, we have a pretty obvious phenomenal first XI -- pending the return of Shaw:

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Jones Blind
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Miki Lukaku Martial

Rashford and Mata, sweet. Lingard, Smalling and Darmian, fine. Fellaini, whatever.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If both are to be key they need to perform before other teams tire and crumble.

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not that simple. Most opponents are going to bunker down on us...just a fact a life. We shouldn't expect to score four goals before halftime very often. But I realise things are different on Football Manager, so I understand your perspective.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Futbol_Head and johno repped this.
  20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This rotating name for the cup is so fracking stupid.

22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Hopefully pool & arse drop some points today. Wishing for a 1-1 draw or something.

Fixtures wise, the next 4 games are very important for us.

City: Liverpool, Watford, Palace, Chelsea

Chelsea: Leicester, Arsenal, Stoke, City

United: Stoke, Everton, Southampton, Palace

We are well placed to take a good lead here and establish some cushion in advance.

24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Completely agree. We must take maximum points off cannon fodder.

We'll hit a wall at some point, but to lift the trophy in May we have to clean up Stoke, Everton and Southampton in September.

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC