The 2017/18 Coaches On The Hotseat (or should be) thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Wake assistant, Dane Brenner,
    ------------------------------------------

A couple of names I've seen mentioned are Chris Gbandi and Brian Wiese(grad). While it might be a stretch to see either HC leave (Ne/Gt) for the Ivy they have a past in Hanover at least.

2. CHIII

CHIII New Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gonzaga promoted their assistant to Head Coach. No press release though

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Gbandi recently left Dartmouth for Northeastern, it is bad timing for him that the job opened up so fast. Great guy. Would be tough for NU if he leaves.

5. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Great player but he is 9-23-3 in two years and was 3-12-3 this year.... Not sure that gets you the Dartmouth job....

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    OverseasView and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  8. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    He's a pup compared to wenger

fknbuflobo repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's a pretty low bar.

10. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Come on.......He will go down in top 10 of all soccer coaches worldwide (including ncaa d1 coaches).

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Was referring to age. Wenger is pushing 70 so being a pup compared to him doesn't take much, hence a low bar.

12. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Fair enough. He is a good recruiter and is highly regarded by many. NU is a tough deal, facilities are off campus and the campus is more urban than most. The number of busy city streets in the campus, the lack of a sports identity, the co-op program and the presence of several other schools make it a tough draw. I could see somebody used to recruiting for Dartmouth having a tough time acclimating to NU.

13. Misha of IL

Misha of IL Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Gurnee, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As reported in St. Louis Post Dispatch

Kevin Kalish led Southern Illinois Edwardville’s transition to Division I soccer before leaving college coaching to work in the Scott Gallagher Soccer Club five years ago.

However, he didn’t abandon the college aspiration altogether. Kalish now will put his vast local connections and D-I experience to work at St. Louis University, which named him as its new coach Saturday.

The former SLU player and first-team All-American will replace Mike McGinty and attempt to return the Billikens to the NCAA Tournament after a three-year absence.

Kalish had a record of 49-46-16 at SIUE from 2008 to 2013. He has been working as the Missouri boys program director for Scott Gallagher.

Kalish met with SLU’s returning players for the first time Friday night and will be introduced at a press conference this week.

Kalish, 40, attended Aquinas-Mercy before signing with the University of Connecticut, where he played for two years. He transferred to SLU for his final two seasons and was an assistant coach for the Billikens in 2000 before moving to SIUE.

At Scott Gallagher, he coached the U19 Saint Louis Academy FC team that is ranked No. 16 in the country.

“It is great to have Kevin Kalish coming back to campus to lead the Billikens,” SLU athletics director Chris May said. “I have confidence that Kevin will be able to execute our objectives of education, competition and community. Kevin’s strengths as a coach and values as a person align perfectly for where we want our program to grow. As a scholar-athlete and a tremendous player on the field for the Billikens, Kevin will be an outstanding role model for all Billiken student-athletes.”

As a member of SLU’s 1997 national semifinalist, Kalish was the Conference USA defensive player of the year that season.

After one season coaching at SLU, he spent 13 seasons at SIUE, the first seven as an assistant. During his time as an assistant, the Cougars played at the D-II level and reached the NCAA Tournament six times.

SIUE turned to Kalish to lead the program’s return to D-I competition. He was named the Missouri Valley Conference coach of the year in 2012.

Goal420 and fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    SLU will be relevant again in the next couple years. Kalish has an impressive resume for only being 40 years old.

The list of players he has helped develop is quite impressive, including Fulham defender Tim Ream and the current US Young Male player of the year, Josh Sargent.

15. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ... and SLU finally has one of their own at the helm to be embraced as the prodigal son by the alums....

fknbuflobo, Sandon Mibut and Misha of IL repped this.
  16. Misha of IL

Misha of IL Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Gurnee, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Well we know the East Coast name with the pretentious attitude doesn't work. All kidding aside, a few alums on here don't represent the entire community.

We'll see if they were right here shortly...

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Updated...

As far as I know, Dartmouth is the only current vacancy. Also still amazed that Jorge Salcedo still has his job.

DARTMOUTH - Chad Riley, resigned;
    DePAUL – Craig Blazer, asked not to return; Mark Plotkin, Colgate assistant.
    GONZAGA – Einar Thorarinsson, retired; Paul Meehan, assistant coach promoted
    NOTRE DAME – Bobby Clark, retired; Chad Riley, Dartmouth head coach.
    PENN STATE – Bob Warming, retired; Jeff Cook, Philadelphia Union academy coach.
    OREGON STATE – Steve Simmons, contract not renewed; Terry Boss, Virginia assistant.
    TEMPLE – Dave MacWilliams, contract not renewed; Brian Rowland, Maryland assistant.
    St. FRANCIS (PA) – Paulo Neto, not sure what happened; Frank Olszewski, Davis & Elkins head coach
    SAINT LOUIS – Mike McGinty, contract not renewed; Kevin Kalish, local youth coach
    SAN DIEGO – Seamus McFadden, retired; Brian Quinn, assistant coach, promoted.
    SETON HALL – Gerson Echeverry, resigned; Andreas Lindberg, CW Post head coach
    STETSON - Kyle Gookins, resigned; Cristian Neagu, UNC assistant coach.

OverseasView and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I don't regard Salcedo as exceptional. Among the 200+ DI programs, there are plenty of under-achievers, but even so, it's rare for coaches to be forced out. Your list does a good job of showing that.

Anyway, I may not drop back in again for another couple of years, but I do hope life is treating you well.

20. push_up

push_up New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Gerry Lucey just announced as head coach at Dixie State in Utah. Any comments or opinions in Coach Lucey?

21. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part-time job has been a revolving door. I enjoyed St. George when I've been through there. Gorgeous area. Hard to stay relevant and compete with you are only part-time.

Should also note, that Gerry Lucey is the women's soccer coach.

22. push_up

push_up New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Part-time attitude or part time coach? Any idea on why the revolving door? It looks like this is first year out West. Going to be a culture shock for him, pluss Dixie is predominately Mormon country.

23. push_up

push_up New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    “We had a phenomenal pool of candidates for this opening and Gerry very quickly rose to the top of the list,” Dr. Boothe said. “His credentials speak for themselves, but beyond that, he is a tremendous individual that will bring fantastic leadership for the program in all areas we need—in the classroom, on the field and in the community.

@ThePonchat - I reread the press release and noticed the "in the classroom" statement. Thank you.

Why the revolving door? Any comments?

24. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Heard Dartmouth is bringing candidates on campus next week !! Anyone hear any names ?

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dixie State has always been a part-time job. Salary, hours, etc. Hard to find and keep quality coaches when the job is part-time. Cheap school. Nice enough area. But, crap structure in making men's and women's soccer part-time positions. Club job in town allows to make up some salary, but that's crap from a school to still offer part-time jobs. Dixie and a few DIII schools are the only jobs I know that are truly part-time.

Sure, some others may pay like they are part-time, but that's the soccer world.