The 2017/18 Coaches On The Hotseat (or should be) thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    this had me panicked for about 12 seconds.

2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look out! Boy, you guys are quick.

OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. torwart

torwart Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Johnny Torres would be waiting around for Creighton to open?? If Bolowich has another season like this I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up the boots and called it a day. Also- oblige me here, but would Mims at Omaha go back to St. Louis (his alma mater) and then Johnny take over Omaha??? Call it a conspiracy theory but not surprised if it happens.

Penn State job is a gold mind in terms of conference, resources, and in state talent. I don't see a lot of alum's out there or assistants who have killed it as Head Coaches and when head jobs open in big conferences I think AD's just want a sexy name. Therefore assistant coaches might have a tough time pushing for it. I'm sure they'll break the bank and spend major $$$ to have a top name with up & coming head coach. Maybe Oshoniyi from ETSU worked there and has done a solid job as HC, Gorman from Albany (done well last 2 years), Kevin Hudson from SMU, Franks from Denver seems to be a name people like buttttt they were average this year. Any others? Top assistants that could be considered if Penn state entertains it, could be Rowland from MD (has gone for a few jobs I think), Torres from Creighton if he wants it, Maisonneuve from IU, Jones from Clemson (also has gone for jobs in few years), and maybe Brenner or Armas from Wake if either want to push for it???

4. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet that I found after doing some research following the Maryland-Albany game is Trevor Gorman.

Penn State Alumni and has been a head coach that has won 37 games (so far) in the last 3 seasons and has made the NCAA tournament the last two season. (Not to mention, his father is the all-time wins leader in Penn State soccer history)

Just a thought, a lot of good candidates for the job though.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #56 fknbuflobo, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    This is worth its own thread. And I dare say that you should start the thread. This is important.

OverseasView repped this.
  7. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Jamie Franks would make a lot of sense at Notre Dame

8. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I think the Gtown Head Coach can't remember his name makes more sense. Assistant with Coach Clark at ND before Gtown.

9. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Brian Wiese

There’s also Jamie Clark

10. 9tenths

9tenths New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    summarizing open head coach positions:
    St. Francis (PA)
    Seton Hall
    St. Louis
    Temple
    Penn State
    Stetson
    Notre Dame

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While I think Wiese, Franks and J. Clark would be great choices, it means they would be leaving DC, Denver and Seattle, respectively, to live in South Bend, Indiana.

Now from a soccer perspective, this is a good move to a more established program in the best conference with good academics and all that history. But from a lifestyle perspective, especially if you have a wife and kids, it might be less desirable to move from a big, thriving metropolis to the Middle of Nowhere, Indiana.

Then again, they might find the housing costs appealing and thing about the bigger home they could own in South Bend. (I know that played a role in Bobby deciding to leave Stanford.)

Having said all that, I'll be surprised if the replacement isn't from Clark's coaching tree.

12. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Chad Hawley from Dartmouth. ND Alum and moving from Hanover, New Hampshire to South Bend no biggy.

13. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    #63 collegesoccer, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Sorry, Chad Riley from Dartmouth. ND Alum and moving from Hanover, New Hampshire to South Bend no biggy

14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand where the talk of Jamie Franks is. But, he's been a HC for two seasons at Denver -- arguably one of the weakest DI soccer conferences in the country. He inherited a team that Bobby Muuss built.

Wouldn't a program like Notre Dame want to see a bigger body of work than that? Same goes for Penn State. Insert SLU and Temple even. I'm not taking away from what Jamie is or how he's done it. Just think that'd be a HUGE jump that hasn't really been seen in those bigger programs.

15. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I see your point, as Muuss' first assistant he did almost all of the player identification and recruiting. It was as much his team as Bobby's.

16. familyfirst

familyfirst Member

Newcastle United
    Norway
    Aug 7, 2017
    Oregon State: rumor is out

17. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Steve Simmons has not been retained. Ben Stoddard is named interim coach as they do a national search for a new coach.

18. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Any news on any jobs that are already open ?

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Between Notre Dame (ACC), Penn State (Big Ten) Oregon State (Pac-12), Temple (American), Seton Hall (Big East) and Saint Louis (A-10), there are some nice jobs available in either a power conference or a school with a big soccer tradition or both.

Should be no lack of good candidates competing for these jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised if OSU looked towards the Timbers or Sounders organization for a coach. Someone who has worked with their academy or USL teams who would be able to get a pipeline from those programs going.

I will be stunned if Notre Dame's hire has no ties to Clark.

And I am still amazed UCLA's job isn't open yet.

Fitballer repped this.
  20. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Have to believe McElderry's phone at Fordham will ring once or twice

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard yesterday that Penn State is finalizing. Didn't hear who. Supposedly Sasho was on campus, was offered, but rejected.

CaptainD and fknbuflobo repped this.
  22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    WHAT?

Fekula and OverseasView repped this.
  23. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm about 80% surprised but not 100%. He has wanted an expansion of Ludwig Field since the day he arrived at Maryland which was what, 1992? There have been some enhancements and modifications but not the expansion he has wanted, despite the fact that other athletic facilities have been built or renovated (Cole Field House with the new Athletic Medicine Institute, Field Hockey/Lacrosse Complex, Xfinity Center). He has now worked for three AD's going on four: hired by Andy Geiger, then Debbie Yow, and now the current AD Kevin Anderson is supposedly on "sabbatical" but apparently has conflicted with University President Wallace Loh and is not expected back -- so the dept. is currently in transition, being run by an interim director. There is a feeling around here that things are on shaky ground. All you have to do is show up at a Maryland football game, especially against one of the B1G powers. I was there for the Penn State game last week. The clear majority of fans were PSU, not Maryland. Penn State is rolling in the $$$ while Maryland is depending to an absurd degree on Men's Basketball for revenue.

Now there is no question the job is his as long as he wants it. However, when he said a month ago that he ought to be considered for the USMNT coaching job, it was the first time ever that he had given any indication of thinking about leaving Maryland. Yes, it was a display of ego and rather silly, but it may have been an indication that he is not a completely happy camper here.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I could see Sasho taking the Notre Dame job ahead of another Big Ten job.

No secret he was displeased about leaving the ACC. Of course, if he wanted to love to Pennsylvania AND coach in the ACC, maybe he should have pursued the Pitt job.

Fekula and ThePonchat repped this.