The 2016/2017 off season thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We NEED to hope, but we shouldn't really have to. The handling of the backline has been atrocious for too long.

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm really struggling to figure out what my confidence level is going into the season...

On one hand, we ended last season top of the Eastern conference and not all that far from the Supporters Shield, and are only measurably worse at one position (Dax's holding mid spot).

On the other hand, we're just about the only team that's gotten worse from the previous season, even if not significantly, while other team's have all made improvements. With how tight MLS is each year, even small differences in quality can make big differences in the standings.

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I get the feeling that the message has come down from on high that neither Curtis or Marsch are capable of making any real decisions, so they are forced into tapping the youth pool and the market for cheap MLS vets and regional talent. No real players will be forthcoming unless the purse strings are loosened. You can see them collecting TAM and GAM in the hopes of someday affording better players. I just don't think any funds will be allocated. Of course, vets get more expensive every year, too. So short of selling off a young prospect like Adams first, I don't see them making any big purchases.

4. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Report: RBNY engages agencies to sell RBA name

The lack of transfer activity suggests that Global is not loosening any funds for NY, but it may also be that word has come down from on high to make this club profitable before any big spending can take place.

8. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well this blows. So I guess we can exp3ct to see a few young pups getting minutes this year.

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What worries me the most is the bargain bin vets that might see time ahead of the pups. If you've got no budget, you might as well shed even more salary of players who don't carry their weight anymore. Sadly, the place where those expensive journeymen are the most prevalent is in defense, which also happens to be the area where there is the least young talent to blood. I would trade a so-so Veron in heartbeat for one solid veteran defender on the good side of 30.

goindownsouth repped this.
  10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Woodrow I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the purse strings just yet. There are a number of things that could be going on here. The fact that no one has seen or heard from Ali Curtis in weeks is raising all kinds of flags.

11. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @kokoplus10 ... But you have to admit, the signals are a bit alarming...

12. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can this team just manage NOT to blow itself up every two years?

They're certainly looking for more $$$ from their American team.

With all the resources RB has spent on this team I'm sure they're a little reluctant shell out more cash than they have to, especially after the big name "era" didn't necessarily yield the financial or on field results one would think they could.

They've spent all this cash on the training facility and academy to much success, I think they feel its time to use those resources to its fullest. Its a one part competitive two parts fiscally sound strategy for future growth, and profitability.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Cutting salary and aggregating transfer cash, while more or less not upgrading the overall talent seems to suggest there is precious little leeway from management. The fact that Curtis has to spend more time explaining himself to Corporate than looking to add players would also serve to underline the fact that NY is not where Global wants it to be. I don't think timidity in player acquisitions, squad management or even tactics will endear anyone in NY to their foreign ownership, no time to freeze in the headlights.

goindownsouth and msilverstein47 repped this.
  14. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Woodrow repped this.
  16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Curtis and Marsch TRULY believe in the players they currently have on their roster and if they TRULY believe in giving youth a shot then it's completely reasonable that we haven't seen any signings.

I'd bet the house that they really believe in Veron, Baah, Lade, Royer and a myriad of their academy guys.

I don't AGREE that they should stand pat on defense, but that doesn't mean that they are standing pat because corporate told them to. And believe me I'm the first one to jump down corporate's throat.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    top 3 local soccer news stories today:

NYRB fell to Real Salt Lake, 1-0, on Tuesday afternoon in a preseason match at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson.

The North Carolina Courage tabbed Paul Riley as the team's head coach ahead of the 2017 NWSL Season.

EoS confirmed the Cosmos will call MCU Park in Coney Island, Brooklyn home for their upcoming 2017 NASL season.

19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Every coach has his blind spots and it isn't unusual for an ex-midfielder to load up on midfielders but any coach who wants to be successful finds a way to balance the team. If he has a couple of lock-down CD's he might run them into the ground rather than sign additional depth, but that certainly isn't the case here and their acquisitions in that department of late have tended to be of the 2nd or even 3rd tier variety. Zubar, Baah, Perrinelle and Collin were all on the pricey side for what they've delivered thus far. The reason Zubar is gone now is he wanted too much money. That much we do know.

I will concede it is possible that there still could be a player signed, for whom they are saving the space. Then there is a good chance the club management is taking a wait and see approach and would not move on said player until summer, when most vets are available. But why then is there the urgent need to cut salary now? You're clearing out salary cap space with no big additions. That sounds more like cutting corners to save money and hoping to get by.

The club schedule is front loaded with a lot of games, CCL as well as Open Cup in addition to regular season. Also, mix in WC qualifiers to the mix. At least 2 of the three most likely CD starters have spent significant time on the trainer's table. And Long is largely untested. I would feel a lot more reassured if the club appeared to be building some depth capable of playing in MLS right now. There also is the virtue of bringing a player in during preseason so that he can hit the ground running when the season starts, rather than play catch-up.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't think this is evidence of any urgent need to cut salary. If they want Davis and Adams to get minutes then Dax had to go. I think that's a philosophical move. Cutting Zubar should have been done a long time ago. He's just an injury waiting to happen.

It's entirely possible that they believe that the depth in youth that they've stockpiled is going to come good and that they believe (rightly or wrongly) that Collin, Baah, Perrinelle, and Long are more than enough to see them through. Personally I believe they should have gotten a blue chip CB at the very least. Possibly a RB too. However, I'm willing to concede that there are a number of "gambling" options at RB (Lade, Adams, Muyl, draftees, etc.) and that outside back is typically a position in MLS where you need to take a chance and/or cut cost.

iced1776 repped this.
  22. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    With the report once again surfacing that Curtis is out, I have to wonder if relieving him isn't directly related to some of these issues we've been discussing. The lack of new players being brought in is just one symptom. His job performance is all about providing institutional direction to the sporting side club. He might have overspent on the wrong players and not seen to it that Marsch played enough young talent and adopted the specific tactics the global management wanted to see.

A coach can request certain players, but the GM/Sporting Director was supposed to make the numbers work. For example, misusing Veron was Marsch's mistake, but it was also an expensive one with little return, for which Curtis is ultimately responsible. Spending upwards of a $1M on four CD's who couldn't get it done was another expensive mistake. Still, Marsch even with the waste was pretty successful on the field, so he gets face time with global and a big glass of kool-ade to drink. Presumably, that's why Marsch gets a second chance and the 4-2-2-2 is getting another run out in preseason.

Honestly I don't know why Curtis gets canned and Marsch gets to stay. Presumably because the results on the field and the direction provided within the club are diverging too much.

goindownsouth repped this.
  23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    At this point, I don't think there's any point even speculating what's going on with Curtis, this is pretty uncharted territory for a GM to simply disappear like this. He could be sick, he could have fallen in a ditch, he and Marsch could have gone all rumble in the jungle over the Dax trade, who the hell knows.

Woodrow and kokoplus10 repped this.