The 2016/17 Championship Season

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Oct 3, 2016.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure who's still around here these days, but the Norwich game on Wednesday was earthshaking and worth a new post. A six point swing against our promotion rival is likely to be a difference maker in May. So, third place after 10 games is positive. After the first two losses, they've righted the ship. The only thing you can say is that the home Wolves loss after destroying QPR shows that we could be more consistent in our level of play, but they've gotten the wins, probably enough for automatic promotion if we assume the depth of our squad will be able to maintain this pace. Looking at the players, I see a lot of good purchases - only Diame hasn't been worth his wages yet. Gouffran has been like an extra signing, and I feel great about the front five producing goals week after week.

So, was anybody else blown away by that 4-3 win against Norwich? People are comparing it to 4-4 against Arsenal, and that's about right. I was listening live and imagining getting stuck in the Championship for multiple seasons, when the Gouff struck again from the delivery by Yedlin - another player who has been a surprise contributor. Of course I was floored by the winner, Shelvey to Mitrovic to Gayle. You had to love it.

2. dgn9

dgn9 New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    It was a great game. I just discovered this forum. Was looking for Newcastle under "Championship Clubs". But maybe BigSoccer knows promotion is coming at the end of the season.

el americano repped this.
  3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    up into 1st place

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are flying right now. What's more is that they now have 3 point cushion to remain in the automatic promotion places. So, maybe we won't have to suffer too much over the possibility of return. They've have a lot of new faces, the squad has real depth, they're playing with the right attitude, and Rafa is steering the ship. You couldn't ask for more really.

I only worry that this board is completely dead. I think even promotion won't resurrect it.