The 2015 Can't-Miss U-20 American Prospect Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Now that we have re-visited the 2011 edition, I think its time for the 2015 edition.

Here is your challenge:

Pick one player under the age of 20 who you think is the number one can't miss international prospect for the United States national team. Just one.

Post their name and defend your choice as well as you can, and feel free to rip others' choices to shreds. Bookmark this thread, and come back in five years to see what bragging rights (or shame) you've earned.

Simple, right? Who's willing to give it a go?

2. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    John Hilton

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta is a guaranteed pro but Hyndmann looks the best of the lot, while accounting I haven't seen Zelalem play.

4. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hands down, Christian Pulisic...

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its tough. I want to say Flores, Steffen or EPB because those are the three I rate the highest, but I think Carter-Vickers is the most can't miss. I'm going to say Carter-Vickers.

#Vela repped this.
  6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio Rubin. I like CCV though. Tough choice. Sticking with RR.

7. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the U-20's I'd have to say Carter-Vickers. What he's accomplishing at his age is very impressive.

For those beyond the U-20's, Christian Pulisic is the easy choice.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  8. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    So the main thing that would win the thread seems to be playing for the national team. I will take Zelalem.

Going off the Yedlin model in looking for a sleeper, one should look for a player who has signed pro with an MLS team and may have a pathway to immediate first team playing time earlier than some of the guys in Europe. Yedlin obviously benefited from the pool of American fullbacks being a bit thinner than some other positions. While Zelalem is my pick, Bradford Jamieson seems like a reasonable sleeper since he plays positions that are generally thin.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't miss ≠ highest upside.

I'll go with Rubio Rubin. He probably doesn't have the very highest upside of all of our prospects, but he's already shown that he can be productive against adults at a fairly high level, even if he's hit the rookie wall this season with Utrecht.

Picking Rubin is obvious and will not make me look like a genius down the road. But shouldn't a "can't miss" pick be obvious?

Hyndman would be a close second. Again, maybe not the upside of a Zelalem or a Pulisic. But I've been following prospects for long enough that I've gained an appreciation for what it means to see a player succeed against adult pros. Hyndman is not an established starter at Fulham, but he's shown in games that he belongs, at the age of 18.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perhaps we should take those players already capped by the full USMNT out of the equation. I mean, they've already "hit" in a sense. If somebody is picking a player other than Rubin or Hyndman then they're just trying to be different. [Julian Green as well. He's already been on a World Cup roster.]

I think a great pick is Zack Steffen. Heck, I haven't been impressed with our keepers at the U23 level. [I don't know what to think of Crropper yet.] Steffen might be our best U23 keeper on top of best U20 keeper. He could easily be our keeper for Olympic qualifying next year, and be called into the full USMNT quickly after that. So that's my answer. Zack Steffen.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Getting a few caps doesn't mean that anyone has made it as a can't-miss prospect. I don't even think a World Cup vet like Green is a "can't miss" prospect in terms of having a long-term presence on the USMNT. Rubin and Hyndman were capped in friendlies during an experimental phase because both are prospects who have advanced further than their American peers so far, but they haven't "made it", either.

Gale Agbossoumonde has been capped.....enough said.

Rubin/Hyndman are boring answers, but the question is one that requires a boring answer for the most part.

12. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alejandro Zendejas
    Christian Pulisic
    Zack Steffen
    CCV
    MM

13. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK :: Steffan
    D :: Redding & Carter-Vickers
    M :: Hyndman
    F :: Rubin

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    One! Dang it all! One! It's killing me to pick one and I have no patience with a guy who dnr'd the first post.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uncapped players is easy. Acosta.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I can't do it. I can't pick. I need to see Rubin play alongside this team in the Youth WC. :(

17. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin, Emo and CCV are all good choices but 'll go a different way and say Joel Sonora. Think he has all the tools to succeed as an attacking midfielder.

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going with Carter-Vickers.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    ... and he's not an anomaly, either. Szetela, Adu, Kamani Hill, Zizzo, Quaranta, Kirovski, etc.

There's also a steadily growing category of players who didn't exactly miss but also didn't contribute much to the national team. Did Spector miss? Chad Marshall? Eddie Gaven? Lee Nguyen? Gringo Torres? Conor Casey? Bobby Convey? I suspect that a fair number of people would even say that Eddie Johnson missed, and he's one of our top ten all-time goalscorers.

As for the question at hand, I'll shy away from Pulisic in order to make an unfairly maligned play. Is Julian Green eligible for selection? If so, him. If not, I'm tempted to pick Jonathan Klinsmann, but I'll have to go with Haji. People need to look at what he can do.

Also, if we'll be looking back at this in a few years, I'm awfully interested to see what happens with Mauricio Pineda. Not a flashy prospect, but an unusually good defender.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C Pulisic

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luca De La Torre.

Combination of his touch and vision stand out.

22. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda surprised nobody else has mentioned him: Tommy Thompson.

Great combination of skill and work ethic. I don't think he will fail.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like his coach in terms of playing youngsters.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe in five years he'll be old enough for playing time. ;)

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I'm picking three; although he hasn't even played for any of our youth teams, I'm going to say Desevio Payne. I like his situation, and I want to be original. Next pick is Junior Flores, because I played against him a couple times and he's an all around nice guy. Final pick I'm picking me because a 97er can dream <3. I got an invite to some training thing, with the U-14 when I was like 13 twice but never went. Regardless it's call up in my heart.

Mahtzo1 repped this.