The 2006 World Cup Draw Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GuruSky, Nov 30, 2005.

1. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    lol

I may disagree with his commens 90% of the time
    but I must say he uses great diction in his posts :D

2. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Anyway, it looks like we have lots to get through before World Cup.

[​IMG]

3. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    강신우 기술국장은 12일 대한축구협회에서 가진 기자간담회에서 "중동과 홍콩 미국을 돌면서 9~10경기 정도 치를 예정"이라며 "그 중 유럽팀과 4경기 정도 맞붙을 것"이라고 밝혔다.

http://news.naver.com/sports/index....mode=view&office_id=109&article_id=0000022808

hmm...Hoping for strong nations such as Spain, Netherlands...

Another Interesting News

After Lee Woon Jae retires, Kim Nam Ill is possible captain.

http://news.naver.com/sports/index....mode=view&office_id=117&article_id=0000031966

I think it's great choice. He or Lee Young Pyo would do just fine.

4. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty good draw for Korea.

Any training matches planned?

5. Chosun HwoRang

Chosun HwoRang New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    NYC
    Out of all the 8 teams in our Pot, We(South Korea), Iran, and Saudi Arabia really lucked out. I guess we can say Costa Rica got a decent group too.

Japan, USA, Serbia, and Trinidad really got tough groups.

6. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    lol, quite diplomatic there (leaving out the ending bit of that dsk's original post ;))

7. Josephus

Josephus BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 11, 2005
    Regardless of whether we take his words literally or figuratively, it still remains that his words are of the ingratiating sort that doesn't accurately reflect the reality of the present Korean team.

Anyways, I maintain my stance that it is rather silly to talk about the infinite when talking about any aspect concerning humans, because we are all mortals after all.

And if you read the context and audience of Hiddink's remarks, then you would realize that he was trying to pull down the lofty expectations that would surround his hire. He wasn't being arrogant at all, but rather pragmatic and diplomatic at the same time. Of course it was overstatement that Australia's qualification would be impossible, but he was merely stating the views of others. Furthermore, he was saying that his job was to increase the likelihood of securing qualification.

Advocaat is doing the exact opposite. He is overstating the potential of the team, and this is a very dangerous thing to do. Because if the fans ever believe this to be the case - that their team possesses the potential to be the best in the world - and they subsequently fail at this, then virtually every coach who manages such a team can only be deemed a failure if measured against "infinite potential."

And this is why I prefer Hiddink's PR skills over Advocaat's. Hiddink talks about attainable goals and results. He doesn't talk about immeasurable and unattainable things.

I don't understand why people here are always making personal attacks, when I only want to debate the matter at hand.

You suggest that I should study some poetry and question my sanity like our gracious friend sky. Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the fundamentals of rational discourse and debate.

But thanks for your astute observations about figurative and literal language.
    You see, I had no idea about figurative language at all, and I was always wondering why women are called "flowers." And thanks for the fourth grade grammar refresher on similes. It looks like you really earned your B-.

8. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    LOL, they're so easy to wind up :D

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    LOL. yeah i only got a b- in ENglish, but I had lots of friends.

Adios.

10. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Rubbish!

"There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity .. and I'm not sure about the former!" - Albert Einstein

Since human achievement can't be infinite, but (according to Einstein) human stupidy is infinite, it looks like humans (if compared to a line graph) have a finite +ve axis and an infinite -ve axis.

Maybe Advocaat is actually being super-subtle and insulting the player's intelligence? :D

Classic salesmanship .. undersell and overdeliver.

Luckily for Hiddink it turned out that way, thanks to home advantage .. I don't think that Advocaat will have as much success.

IMHO Advocaat is referring to the untapped potential of the korean players .. both the current and future possibilities.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

11. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    here's a very interesting article:

http://news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=soccer&menu=mania&mode=view&seq=2906

author seems to be presuming a bit as well, but it still was a great read.

12. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    damn long article reading right now....