The 2006 World Cup Draw Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GuruSky, Nov 30, 2005.

1. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just saw an interesting article on Naver. Also, I'll be watching the World Cup draw on ESPN2 next friday, so I think we can just keep all the talk about the teams who we get drawn with in this thread.

Here's the article - http://news.naver.com/sports/index....mode=view&office_id=076&article_id=0000017865

Some columnist from ESPN made a mock draw for himself and Korea ended up in Group D with Holland, Croatia, and Ghana.

That's definitely not an easy group. It's rather hard, but I'll take it.

2. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Im ready for anything. We always seem to get stuck in some of the more difficult groups.

3. nad1998

nad1998 Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Tacoma
    here's the actual ESPN article

ESPN

4. Chosun HwoRang

Chosun HwoRang New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    NYC
    out of the seeded teams, who would you guys want in our group?

I'd like to have Italy, Argentina, Mexico, or France (Netherlands not really)

Wouldn't want to have to face the hosts or the champs. Spain scares me and I feel that England will have a good run this upcoming WC.

5. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I would rather face Mexico or Germany. Not Italy though, because I want to stay on top a little longer, although winning again would really hurt them. hah

6. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I more or less concur with you.

I feel most comfortable with Italy or Mexico obviously because we've played them several times.

I respect Holland the most because of their style. Then again our coach is pretty familiar with how they play. I think its their time this one around.

7. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    thats true..we always have a tough draw....

is it b/c we rank low this part of the year all the time>>????
    do we??

8. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    My concern is not with the top seeded team
    because we are capable of winning or at least drawing with top seeded team...

my concern is wether we will get easier lower seeds, because thats where we need to get points.

we can lose to a top seed team in the group 1-0 or 2-0 , as long as we pull out wins from weaker teams...
    thats always been our weaknesss as the world cup goes prior to 2002..

remember 94 world cup where we tied Spain , I will take the 3-2 loss agianst Germany but we should have beaten Bolivia to advance instead of tying 0-0...

9. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Bring on whoever. Mighty Korea will destory those pigs and fry them for bacon.

10. Edgar

Edgar Member

According to PlanetWorldCup.com (link), these will be the pots:

Pot 1: Brazil, Germany, Spain, Mexico, Italy, Argentina, England, France
    Pot 2: Netherlands, Sweden, Croatia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Poland, Serbia & Montenegro, Switzerland, Ukraine
    Pot 3: Ecuador, Paraguay, Australia, Japan, Iran, Korea Republic, Saudi Arabia
    Pot 4: USA, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Angola, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo, Ghana, Tunisia

11. bevang03

bevang03 New Member

Dec 1, 2005

Hi I wish you good luck at the world cup as this time the competition will be a lot harder I think the best think Korea can do is avoid Brazil, Argentina, France and England as I cannot see a korean win but with park chu young and park ji sung you have a chance against weaker teams like Japan, USA, Ghana, Mexico as they are all very poor

:)

12. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    I will take Mexico, Serbia, and Trinidad and Tobago :D

13. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Facing Holland will definitely be a hard test, but I wouldn't really mind facing them.

We have a coach who coached this team just a year ago in a major competition, and we also have 4 players who played in their league (Park JS, Lee YP, Song, and Kim NI).

If there is one European team we know the most out of all European teams in next year's WC, it's Holland.

14. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    But I still don't think we're beating Holland. I'd be estatic about a tie.

15. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well in that case, we really aren't favours when it comes to facing ANY European teams in the World Cup next year.

16. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Would Mexico, Swiss and T&T be our dream draw?

17. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    does that mean we'll be eating õ°ã»ì? :D

Seriously, I think Korea's chances are as good as any other country.

18. gatch

gatch Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Seoul and Melbourne
    Totally agree with you YCashM. We always seem to do well against Stronger teams eg a win or a draw but we often draw or lose to teams that we should be putting away. I really dont mind if we go into a strong group. It will just mean that we will go into the group more mentally prepared and with a bit of luck on our side ;) i believe we can beat any team in the world. I however would not like to be put in the same group as the Australians. Only reason being is that I think we Koreans will go into the game thinking it will be an easy win but I really think the Australians will be the dark horse of the Torny.
    During this world cup i think we will have a few teams such as Italy, Portugal and Spain who will want to get back at us. ;)

19. Josephus

Josephus BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 11, 2005
    In theory, Korea could get the exact same group draw as in the last World Cup. That would be very interesting.

I think the best draw for Korea would be France, Switzerland, and Trinidad & Tobago.

The toughest draw would probably be Argentina, Netherlands, and USA.

I think Korea might be glad that they don't have to face Saudi Arabia or either Equador or Paraguay.

I guess such organization of the pots would rule out a Hiddink v Korea scenario.

In any case, I am not optimistic now about Korea's chances to advance in the World Cup, but perhaps I might gain some hope if Korea manages to do well against A teams while playing away from home.

20. FlashM11

FlashM11 New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    California
    why am i not surprised ;)

21. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-worldseeds&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Full seedings for the WC were just announced:

Pool One: Germany (hosts), Brazil (champions), Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, England

Pool Two: Australia, Angola, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo, Tunisia, Ecuador, Paraguay

Pool Three: Croatia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine

Pool Four: Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, United States

Special pot: Serbia & Montenegro

IMHO, based on the reputation the worst draw we could possibly have is:

Brazil - Australia/Paraguay/Ivory Coast - Netherlands/Czech/Portugal.

The best draw I think would be:

Mexico - Togo/Angola - Switzerland.

22. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I'm not sure whether facing new teams or teams that we don't have much experience against such as Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, or Angola would necessarily be good for us. We've always been the type of the team to gain confidence from previous matches (even against tough teams like Brazil, France, Spain, Italy, etc) and I think whenever there is an element of new-ness or surprise, that's when we don't really do that well. Plus there is the fact that we may underestimate those teams because they are first timers in the World Cup...

If we draw an African team, I'd want Tunisia since we've at least faced them before, and we'd still have reasonable confidence in beating them. Similarly, I wouldn't mind avoiding teams like Switzerland, Ukraine, and Ecuador no matter how "beatable" they may seem to be compared to some of the other teams...

23. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So one thing's for sure, we won't get drawn in with Serbia and Montenegro.

Imagine Australia/Netherlands/Korea in the same group? Three Dutch coaches... That'd be crazy

24. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Okay, I just spent the last hour making a program to do the calculations... The gory details and methodology are at the bottom

Probabilities for Korea drawing team X:

Angola : 0.121031746031746
    Argentina : 0.0892857142857143
    Australia : 0.121031746031746
    Brazil : 0.0892857142857143
    Croatia : 0.125
    Czech : 0.125
    Ecuador : 0.136904761904762
    England : 0.130952380952381
    France : 0.130952380952381
    Germany : 0.130952380952381
    Ghana : 0.121031746031746
    Holland : 0.125
    Italy : 0.130952380952381
    Ivory : 0.121031746031746
    Mexico : 0.166666666666667
    Paraguay : 0.136904761904762
    Poland : 0.125
    Portugal : 0.125
    Spain : 0.130952380952381
    Sweden : 0.125
    Switzerland : 0.125
    Togo : 0.121031746031746
    Tunisia : 0.121031746031746
    Ukraine : 0.125

The methodology is as follows -

Assumptions -

1. Serbia can only be drawn with Mexico, Argentina and Brazil seeds.
    2. All of Korea's pot cannot be drawn with Serbia
    3. 2 teams from the same federation cannot be drawn in the same pot except UEFA

Methodology -

Each team's probability to draw a particular seeded team was calculated manually. For instance, Serbia's probability of drawing Brazil is 1/3. Korea's probability of drawing Mexico is 1/6 because:

If Serbia draws Brazil or Argentina, USA, Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica all cannot be drawn with Mexico, and thus, one of the 4 Asian teams must be drawn with Mexico. Hence, Korea draws Mexico 1/4 of the time in that case. Since Serbia draws Brazil or Argentina 2/3 of the time, the total probability of drawing Mexico is 2/3 * 1/4 = 1/6

The same calculations can be made for every non-seeded country. This clearly gets Korea's probabilities with all the seeded teams (and then some).

Next, to calculate probabilities of teams from other pots, say Angola:

1. We take the probability that Korea gets drawn with a particular seeded team (say, Brazil).
    2. We then take the probability that Angola also gets drawn with the same seeded team (in this case, Brazil).
    3. We multiply the two together to get the probability they will both draw Brazil.
    4. We sum over all the seeded teams to get the probability that Korea will be in the same pot as Angola.

25. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    nice post, that was interesting

i cant wait till friday...

SO in all, looks like all Asian teams gonna face a tough group huh?