The 2003-4 Parma thread [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by 352gialloblu, Jun 17, 2003.

1. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Two huge wins in a row, on the road no less.
    Man, Gilardino's goal was, um, a thing of beauty (hahaha.) Honestly it's kind of excrutiating to watch, I mean, how is Antonioli ever going to face his teammates after that? I remember he made a similar bumble when keeping at Roma the year they won the Scudetto.
    And then we get a huge, huge break at the end when Bazzani goes down and ... no call! Like gialloblu said, that was a clear penalty.
    Meanwhile Bresciano scored another pretty goal. Looks like he's getting on one of his hot streaks. What's he got now--five or six goals?

2. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Call it luck, but this team is showing amazing guts and character. Hats off to the ragazzi, to Prandelli, and to us die-hard Parma fans.

Faced with a total nightmare, AC Parma are fighting for a CL spot. Who wudda thunk it?

If you can just suspend all you know of what's gone on for the last two months, it's almost like we're back in '99 again...

3. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    unfortunately Roma will wake you up guys!

4. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    26/2/04

FINAL:
    Parma: 0
    Gençlerbirligi: 1

5. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    UEFA Cup, first leg.
    Pretty miserable performance out there in the snow. Hard to get anything going under such conditions, playing with that hilarious orange ball. The defense played well, Gencle's goal was just a real cracker.

6. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    now, please stop the giallorossi!!!!!!!

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen of Juve lately Roma losing to Parma on Sunday won't help Juve's chances this year of retaining the scudetto. Trez's is out for a month and your defense is crap. That is why Juve won't win. Enjoy the Coppa Italia because that is the only trophy you have a realistic chance of winning this year :p

8. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I dont get it, Legrottaglie is an improvement since my POV yet something's missing! :(

9. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    pre-game conditions Parma-Roma

We had another huge blizzard blow through the region yesterday, dumping a good three or four inches of snow. The field was protected by a tarp.
    Nevertheless, the field should be pretty sloppy, 'pesante' as they say here. I imagine that will work to our advantage, slowing down Totti and Cassano.
    Forza Parma!!

10. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Re: pre-game conditions Parma-Roma

Good to know it will be played.

3 o 4 pollici sono 10 cm, almeno a Bologna e Reggio Emilia, ne ha fatto 30/40 cm (ie 1 feet) non credo che a Parma ne abbia fatta molto meno.

11. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Parma 1-1 Roma [HT]

The pitch actually looks great. And so did we for the first 28 minutes. After we scored, we didn't get the ball back until their equalizer. Were we just going to let Totti and Cassano come at us until they scored? Did we think maybe we should put some people near them to prevent them from playing freely? I don't know what our plan was, but it was crap. Cassano ran right between our centre-backs for about the fourth time and scored. They really have been ignoring him, which is BLOODY STUPID.

Our goal, and the first half our were nice. I was just hoping we'd make it harder for them to equalize. We just couldn't get control of the ball again, and our defense just isn't good enough to try to hold out Roma for an hour...

This is the first time I've seen Zicu, and he's not bad. He isn't quite there yet--some of his passes are off, and his one-on-one skills aren't so dangerous either. He's one of the reasons we couldn't keep hold of the ball so well. Hopefully we'll come out strong in the second half, again.

FORZA GIALLOBLU!

12. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Parma 14 Roma [FT]

Wow, I really love Roma coming to the Tardini and slaughtering us every year. Especially when they let us have the lead first. :rolleyes:

The scoreline is just about right, I'm afraid. We looked good for half an hour, took the lead, and promptly decided we'd really rather let Roma win. The defending on all four of their goals was pretty bad, even though a few of their goals were pretty good. The Totti free-kick especially, because I knew exactly where it was going, so I could have blocked it! How many times have you seen a player or two from the kicking team line up at the end of the wall, then peel away as the ball flies straight through where they were and into the goal. And on the other two, we just didn't seem interested in marking people. Hint to Parma: the guys in red shirts are trying to score on you--and that's a BAD thing. Why don't we have a clue?

Roma are a good team, no doubt. They are solid at the back (even though Dellas looked suspect for the first half-hour), have a solid midfield, and have Totti and Cassano up front to do whatever they want. We had no response to any of that, really, except Gilardino.

Thank God for Brescia, eh? I don't know what to wish from tonights match, because I honestly wouldn't mind Roma catching up to Milan after watching them destroy us, but if AC do win, we stay in touch with Lazio...maybe a draw?

Next match is at Modena next Saturday. Maybe we can learn how to defend before then...

13. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    You're exactly right--the field was fine and so was Roma. We were defeated by a superior team today, period. There's a sort of chicken-or-the-egg debate in wondering if their offense is really that good or our defense is really so pathetic. A little of both.

Two road wins followed by two home losses, let's blame it on the snow. (Sardinia, there were 20-25 centimeters, as reported in the not so reliable Gazzetta di Parma.)

Now let's go get a win in Turkey!

14. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Turkey's going to be very very tough. Reminds me almost of that famous comeback we had against that Swedish side a few years ago, when we'd lost 3-0 away and then came back to win 4-0 at home. It was Stoichkov's finest hour as a gialloblu, just an incredible performance, and never to be repeated.

But to go to Turkey and win by two goals now....um, I don't like our chances.

15. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Out of UEFA

Oh well, we were beaten pretty soundly in Ankara. I was hoping for a more inspired performance after the Roma debacle.

You had it right, Parmigiano.

Let's face it, after the January sell-off, this is not a club 'built' for more than one competition.

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    When Frey got sent off in the first half after committing a penalty, which led to 1-0, it was pretty much over for Parma.

17. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    OK, big derby in Modena. Can we bound back from the Roma and Turkey debacles? I'm guess a draw, a 2-2 drenched in balsamic vinegar.

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Interesting that ex-Parma coach Alberto Malesani's job is on the line at Modena. If they lose this one, he might just be outta there.

19. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Modena-Parma 2-2

Parmigiano, should we start calling you Nostradamus??
    I heard there was even a drizzle of balsamic vinegar in Modena last night.

20. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Parmigiano Nostradamus! :eek:

21. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    Talking about vinegar ...

next time, dear cousins, bring salads instead of flares you sent towards us.
    Good game anyway, the draw tells the truth.
    Damn how cold it was, I'm still drenched!
    Allycks, were you @ the stadium?

22. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    No, I wasn't there. But I apologize for any flares nonetheless. Next time the 'Boys' ought to be more polite and throw small bite-sized chunks of Parmigiano-Reggiano at you guys.

23. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    The day the ultras start hurling chunks of Parmigiano-Reggiano at each other is the day I pick up and move the family to Parma.

I didn't pick this name for nothin'. :D

(As for Nostradamus, he may have guessed some floods and eclipses and what not, but I seriously doubt he could have ever divined 'tredici' on the schedina...)

24. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Parma-Brescia 2-2

A well-played game on both ends, though we blew the lead twice.
    What can you say about Brescia's second goal? Pure Baggio magic.

25. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I would love to see Baggio's goal. Too bad we didn't win, but Baggio is my all-tiime favorite Italian player, more so than even Zola. He deserved way more than he got from the national side and of course Ancelotti was dickhead for not bringing him to Parma when he had a chance.