The 20 best USMNT prospects and stars of the future

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Eighteen Alpha, Nov 8, 2016.

1. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I don't mean to be dismissive, but how good a player like Gooch was when he was 16 is irrelevant at this point. Players don't progress linearly, and Gooch has improved tremendously over the last 5 years.

I also don't get the idea that Gooch somehow has a low ceiling. He's one of the best US players at crossing the ball at any level right now, has good dribbling skills for a winger, and was measured by Opta (One of the top sports data companies in the world that is employed by many teams across various sports) as one of the quickest players in the entire premier league this season.

He's not limited by anything.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Except his soccer skill.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind Gooch and think he can be a future MNT pool player and contributor, but would not pick him long-term over the likes of Pulisic, Carleton, Tillman, Shashoua (and a few others younger) who have been consistently top prospects to this point, and who in my opinion have a very high career ceiling. Gooch looks pretty good in a vacuum but, in my opinion, less so when forced to choose between him and certain others. I'd bring 50 players to a World Cup if I could, but some very tough cuts are going to be made for future MNT rosters given the increasingly talented crops of young players.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I have a good feeling about snagging Tillman, for whatever reason. Less so about Shashoua.

5. Marcus OMalley

Newcastle, Louisville City
    United States
    May 24, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Bit of a head scratcher. FJ back to LB? still viable at 34? Olosunde in midfield? I'm not even sure he makes the team at RB, his usual position. Tillman, I buy. Puli, CCV, and Yedlin as well. GZ if he reaches his potential. I think with the others there are better options but not a bad line-up.

bballshawn and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Projecting 9 years into the future is largely an exercise in futility. I could tell Dempsey was going to be a starter in 2 WC's and was on the verge of the next WC's XI in his rookie year but he was in his 20's and I had seen him play hundreds of minutes against men. At the time I also expected Szetela and Gaven to be on the roster in 2 WC's, that wasn't exactly a fringe opinion either.

I think people should make projections based on probabilities. The biggest single component is a player's individual quality. The largest creators of uncertainty are a lack of first team experience and age. Spot minutes are different than long runs in the lineup. The level of play also matters when weighing the performance (how well that player does relative to peers and historical points of comparison).

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Big Soccer's Raison d'Etre. ;)

HartwickFan, deejay and Peretz48 repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @3four3's Tweet:

12. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmao that is so perfect it hurts

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Unless there is Pro/Rel Gary doesn't see any improvement. Period.
    He's blinded for some reason. Would love to know why he is so butt hurt.

TxEx, Starman* and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    From what I've seen he is also selling a product in his 3four3 coaching. So he needs people to believe that everything the US soccer fed is doing is "the wrong way" and only the way he teaches things is the right way.

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's one way. Another way is to just say we teach the game the right way. There is a growing improvement to our coaching nation wide and we're leading the way.

USSoccerNova and Starman* repped this.
  16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something the Matt Doyle crowd will have a really tough time with. They think anyone who's American and starts and scores a time or two in MLS has suffered a great injustice not to be called in. They are wrong.

These are the people who mention folks like Tommy McNamara for a callup. And that should never, ever happen. Similarly, they lobbied Willll Trap into a couple when there is absolutely no reason since he sucks nuts.

Lots of fans will need to learn to adjust their expectations of what "deserves a look". Hitting a couple of crackers and assists over a month won't do it. Nor should it.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    First of all, you spelled his name wrong. Second of all, thats not true. And third of all, Doyle dislikes him as much as anyone.

Lets not make this into MLS, MLS media, Europe, Europe media. There are plenty of claims for players playing in all different types of leagues who don't actually deserve NT call ups. I could rattle off the names of players playing in LigaMX or Europe who've been mentioned many times, yet don't come close to deserving a call up.

18. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Holy shit the people in his replies are delusional. Sure most prospects don't pan out but that's true in any sport. Kleiban is off base or perhaps just saying what he needs to say to keep the gravy train rolling. We could have worse results but if we do things his way he wouldn't be saying anything to the effect of the system needing an overhaul. His replies are the definition of a circlejerk.

19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. But I guess I consume more MLS related media, so I see a lot of it.
    oops, did I? Agree to disagree. Damn, I hate when I agree with him.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that even if we won the full World Cup Kleiban would tweet that it doesn't mean anything.

Anderson11 repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What hurts me most is that I agree with him that significant structural and personnel changes need to happen. In some senses they are. As many people do he can't recognize things that have improved and what still needs to be fixed without Pro/Rel. He's a one trick pony making snarky remarks without detail. He takes a cheap shot on twitter and I sit there trying to figure out what he means by it.

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also thinking the value of targeting duel nationals will start to diminish as we grow our domestic player pool.

23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you mean, but I hope we always go after dual nationals who are good enough to play for us. Why not? At the full squad level, I just want to win.

DHC1 and Patrick167 repped this.
  24. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I tried to challenge him and he just blocked me without a reply.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Dual Nationals will always be a part of the USMNT. Its apart of being an American and having an immigrant population.
    What will happen is the level of the 'dual national' will just increase. Any American who can help our team will always be welcomed by coach, team, and fans alike.

Namdynamo, ChuckMe92 and Dirt McGirt repped this.