The 100 Greatest X of All Time Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Wandile Mndebele

Wandile Mndebele New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its amazing how FIFA has disregard some top performers in favor of their "ideal" brand of football and Messi has been at the forefront of it. In 2010 Wesley Sneijder won the champion's league with Inter Milan, took Holland to a World cup final. Messi on the other hand, failed to live up to expectation and even then, he won the title of best player... I dont know about you lot but i smell a rat..

Here is an article i found showing some of the new players in the EPL who might be a tad underrated:

http://www.soccerreport.com/hidden-gems-the-top-5-most-underrated-new-arrivals-in-the-epl/

2. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

"I DON"T LIKE SPAM!!" ;)

3. ManusXavi

ManusXavi Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    #2453 ManusXavi, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    4-2-3-1 Formation.

Goal Keeper Casillas, Rightback: Sergio Ramos ,Left back: Paolo Madini, Centre Backs: Franco Baresi and Franz Beckenbauer but seriously I don't think I should be putting my 10 cents worth as I don't know much about defenders.

Defensive mid and centre mid : Frank Rijkaard and Xavi Hernandez

Left wing: I hate him but I can't deny C.Ronaldo is one of the best ever.
    Right wing: Andres Iniesta
    CAM/2nd striker: Messi: He can provide assists he is creative and can score goals. I will let him be my 2nd striker.
    Striker: Pele. The man could score goals. I think Messi is better but I want Messi behind him.

Rijkaard is a good defender. If any of the defenders such as the right back and left back want to come forward like what we see at Barca I feel that will be fine so long as they both don't at the same time. Iniesta and Messi can drop back and pretend to be midfielders at times. Xavi is a player who has the ability to score goals. Overall this line up can: create confusion and a wide range of options. It contains proven goal scorers and proven defenders while at the sametime providing security with ball control and good passers

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  4. dencildb

dencildb New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Club:
    AC Paranavai
  5. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    msioux75 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I do not disagree nor against your choice ...
    But the statement in bold is just not quite well proven with fact.
    Rijakaard had even a better goal record than Xavi ... If you want Xavi scoring goal, in average you have to wait 9,10 games .... LOL (and WC or Euro only got 7 at most)

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jorginho over Leandro? Other than longevity, Leandro beat Jorginho in every other area hands down.

8. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Since this is a take on the greatest players of all time, what do you think about this statement on Messi/Ronaldo and modern players?

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I tend to disagree with the 2nd to last paragraph, and would cite the 2010 World Cup as an example of a tournament where both in their primes generally speaking were in games of Association Football that they didn't dominate! Maybe it wasn't meant in such a literal way.

Anyway, I'd disagree with the general premise too I think but with less certainty. I never think of the nutrition and fitness as being so relevant when supposing the players were playing in the same era - I'd prefer to think of the player having the same benefits after a period of a few weeks or months adjustment anyway and I would suggest that players were always fully 'match fit' in any case. If the question was what would happen if older players were literally taken from their own era and asked to play without adjustment then perhaps they would tire more though and have to pace themselves more towards the end of the game. I can't prove it but I would think they could still perform pretty much to their best level with a similar effect as they had in their own eras even in that scenario though - the fitness would be good enough to give a platform for the talent to show I would think personally.

Pipiolo, RoyOfTheRovers and msioux75 repped this.
  10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I know this discussion is largely dead, but I'd rather it wasn't sidetracked too much here by the Messi/Ronaldo debate. Feel free to open another thread to cover.

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree 100%. Plus the whole premise is useless if it were true, as the best player six years from now would automatically be the greatest of all time...and so on.

12. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2462 La-Máquina, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    A modern athlete like Emile Heskey would run rings around Bobby Moore and Scirea... ;)

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    but not with the ball at his feet ;)

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #2464 PuckVanHeel, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    I'd like to add that modern fitness (medical science?) and protection helps to lengthen the career of players, at least at peak level and/or elite level. Though I have the greatest respect for Cristiano Ronaldo and what he has made out of relatively unfortunate circumstances (living at 'isolated' Madeira until the age of 12, and also Sporting Lisbon has played second fiddle to Porto and Benfica for ages).

In general, the harmonization of football and increasing convergence in conditions help the very best to stand out. Finally, apart from 'protection' also the tendency of good players to play with fellow supreme players levels down the intensity during regular games, as well as the frequency of physical contact (because by playing with other elite athletes more space and movement opens up which decreases the amount of contact, the wear and tear, although increased strength and speed of athletes increases the propensity). Cf. the common argument of how Madrid and/or Barca provide that few metres of space for the superstars to perform (as expressed by Sacchi or Cruyff).

Personally I am a believer in the incommensurable properties of eras. The debate whether players are more prone to injuries or less prone to (contact or muscle) injuries - to start with - is an endless one and not settled by experts in the field. It is interesting though where the transitions to a different era are located (and whether one can find eras matching a certain ideal type).

We also don't know how Pelé would react to modern medical treatment and such. See the famous examples of highly talented athletes who do not react at all when injected with energetic banned substances (doping) while others do react to a large degree. Not every human body reacts in the same manner to the same stimuli (hope this is clear). Example: HGH makes on average ill people larger and stronger as 'healthy' people without injected HGH but it is an average - not every human will react the same to HGH, maybe some would still feel a deficiency with HGH injected.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    rightly so ... Heskey could knock a Scirea in to the nest but not able to burry the ball there

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You're correct that Heskey could knock Scirea clear up in the NEST... ;)

Seriously, Heskey gets a load of stick because he wasn't Michael Owen. But, that wasn't his job on the pitch IMHO...

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I guess the "nest" sounds better than the net huh?

Agree ... Owen is a pure striker or goal scoring FW. Heskey was more of a (general) out and out striker who could hold up the ball for others to come in and score

18. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Moore marking Heskey in a match would've been an interesting proposition because it's often forgotten that Moore was a better "card-carrying" (W-M-mould) centre-half than people tend to remember. Moore was even capped by England in that role on at least one occasion...

19. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sorry, my post about Heskey was meant to be sarcastic (humorous)...

...in response to the ridiculous belief that today's footballers are far superior to the legends of past era's.

P.S I am a fan of Emile Heskey.

20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

*wonders if La-Maquina is being sarcastic again* :cautious:

La-Máquina repped this.
  21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    We know and joke too

However I totally agree with your last statement.
    Better, far superior or worse are just relative terms and they would be used in different scenarios .... We can not just "generalize" simply like that.

For example, Pele was surely "far superior" than your Heskey ;)but no one would say all players in the 60's were far better than now!

In otehr hand Messi, CR7 now are surely better or far better than say .. G. Hurst in the 60's ..
    But it ain't mean "today Footballers" are better than before

22. Javiersmith001

Javiersmith001 New Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Club:
    AC Mineros de Guayana
    On goalies, Antonio "Cinco Copas" Carbajal should make your top 100, if nothing more for participating in a record 5 World Cups. Granted, he played for Mexico, so he also owns the record for most goals against in WC history.

23. vanmorrison

vanmorrison New Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Mantova
  24. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think great players would be great players in any era.. But the standard of football up until the mid 60s was dire in general..i know that might upset some people but it was.. Has anyone seen the 1958 world cup final ? Garrincha or stanley mathews wouldnt get a kick against maldini and his like.. I suppose nowadays the pitches are perfect carpets and boots and kits are lightweight in comparison to yester year but football has become more difficult due to fitness tactics and professionalism.. So based on those facts my all time team would be.....1. Buffon 2.jorginho 3.baresi 4.scriea 5.maldini 6.falcao 7.zidane 8.platini (socrates) 9.ronaldo r9 10.zico(ronaldinho) 11. Maradona.....

Once repped this.
  25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great team, and we must be the only posters here who appreciate Jorginho as an all-time great. Just replace Ronaldo with a Romario or Van Basten or Messi and you have a perfect side.

Good shout on Socrates too.

@giles varley