The 100 Greatest Games of All Times?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Gregoriak, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    5 BORUSSIA MÖNCHENGLADBACH 7-1 INTERNAZIONALE
    20 October 1971, Bökelberg, Mönchengladbach, European Cup second round, first leg
    B.M.G.: Kleff – Vogts, L.Müller, Sieloff, Bleidick – Bonhof, Netzer (83 Wittkamp), Kulik – Wimmer, Heynckes, Le Fevre
    Inter: Vieri (46 Bordon) – Oriali, Giubertoni, Burgnich, Facchetti – Fabbian, Bedin, A.Mazzola, Corso – Boninsegna (28 Ghio), Jair

A game not counted by UEFA due to a can thrown at Boninsegna by a Gladbach fan. If it had counted, it would have gone down as one of the greatest examples of offensive football crushing defensive football. Arguably the greatest performance by a German club side in a European game. The brilliant Günter Netzer at the peak of his powers in command of a magnificently brilliant Mönchengladbach side. What a great game a European Cup final between Cruyff’s Ajax Amsterdam and Netzer’s Mönchengladbach could have been, but instead the catenaccio masters of Internazionale made it to the 1972 European Cup final where they were without a chance against Ajax. Mönchengladbach would have been a far more worthy opponent for Ajax and I’m pretty sure the two sides could have produced one of the finest spectacles of offensive football in the history of the sport. Too bad they never met.

4 FC SCHALKE 6-6 (a.e.t.) BAYERN MUNICH
    2 May 1984, Parkstadion, Gelsenkirchen, German Cup semi final
    S.04: Junghans – Kruse, Dietz, M.Jakobs, Schipper – Opitz (106 Berge), Dierssen, Thon, Abramczik (73 Clute-Simon) – Stichler, K.Täuber
    Bayern: Pfaff – Beierlorzer, Augenthaler, Grobe (109 Kraus), Pflügler – Dürnberger (77 D.Hoeness), Lerby, Mathy, Nachtweih – K.H.Rummenigge, M.Rummenigge

FC Schalke 04 was a second division side at the time of this legendary game. This game made young Olaf Thon an overnight sensation. This boy had just celebrated his 18th birthday the night before and would be the big star of this game, scoring not one, not two, but three goals against the overwhelming favorites from Munich. Just check the goal sequence to see what a brilliant match this was to be at:

0-1 K.H.Rummenigge 3
    0-2 Mathy 12
    1-2 Kruse 13
    2-2 Thon 19
    2-3 M.Rummenigge 20
    3-3 Thon 61
    4-3 Stichler 72
    4-4 M.Rummenigge 80
    4-5 D.Hoeness 112
    5-5 Dietz 115
    5-6 D.Hoeness 118
    6-6 Thon 120

What an utterly amazing game this was in front of 70,000 boiling spectators (it is available on tape for anyone interested). The tie had to be repeated, this time in Munich, Bayern won 3-2.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When you beat a team with those stars playing against you, you must have a really special side. BM had a special team.

Who's got the Bayern-Schalke match? I might not get it now but maybe sometime in the future.

3. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    3 ITALY 4-3 (a.e.t.) WEST GERMANY
    17 June 1970, Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, World Cup semi final
    Ita: Albertosi – Burgnich, Cera, Rosato (91 Poletti), Bertini, Facchetti – Domenghini, de Sisti, A.Mazzola (46 Rivera) – Boninsegna, Riva
    Ger: Maier – Vogts, Schnellinger, Schulz, Patzke (66 Held) – Seeler, Beckenbauer, Overath – Grabowski, G.Müller, Löhr (52 Libuda)

I assume most everyone checking out this thread has seen this game anyway, so no need for me write anything.

4. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

The Schalke-Bayern match, I'm not sure but maybe www.rpvc.com has it (it's not listed on his website, though).

These guys definitely have it:

www.raresoccervideos.com

www.pastfoot.it

http://www.soccer-videos.tk/

5. BongartzUndRivera

Sep 24, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    While this LAST substitution for Germany was goin on, Beckenbauer was still lying on the pitch after he got fouled close to the Italian box nobody checking on der Kaiser (it was typical back not to give too much attention who were down, even if were your teammates!:) ).

Anyway, Franz himself might have not known until the rest of the 2nd half had ended and got it checked in the locker room during the breakfor the 1st Extra-time.

Footy history might have missed to witness a player with an armband (which "striped" Beckenauer's number 4).:rolleyes:

6. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    2 LIVERPOOL FC 3-3 (a.e.t.) AC MILAN
    25 May 2005, Atatürk Stadium, Istanbul, Champions League Final
    LFC: Dudek – Finnan (46 Hamann), Traore, Hyypiä, Carragher – Riise, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso – Kewell (23 Smicer), Baros (85 Cissé)
    Milan: Dida – Cafú, Stam, Nesta, Maldini – Seedorf (85 Serginho), Gattuso (112 Rui Costa), Pirlo, Kaká – Shevchenko, Crespo (85 Tomasson)

Still fresh in everyone’s memory I guess?

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Hmmm.. Are they really going to pick the final Brazil v Italy 4-1 of WC '70 as best match? It seems so when looking at big matches missing.

8. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    I would hope not. That game was a bit lob-sided, no? Not exactly dramatic, and technically there were better performances by that team, never mind in the history of the game

9. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Be relieved guys, Italy vs. Brazil 1970 is not the #1. It's a game from a European Cup competition.

10. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    yeah, i think that game was already mentioned in the top 25. i have a feeling it might be an Ajax game, just a feeling:rolleyes:

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I would assume 'yes', but I'll ask anyway.
    Does it involve a German side?

12. ilmilandivanbasten

ilmilandivanbasten New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ploiesti
    Well, do we get to know?! :)

13. ffcseptic

ffcseptic New Member

May 9, 2006
    I live by the river
    Agreed. Except Holland 2 Czech Republic 3. Absolutely fantastic. My immediate riposte to any American who says "soccer is boring."

14. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wheres France v. England from euro 2004?

that was classic.

15. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not a very good match except the last 2 minutes.

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It had a great ending.

17. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    1 BAYER UERDINGEN 7-3 DYNAMO DRESDEN
    19 March 1986, Grotenburg Kampfbahn, Krefeld, Cup Winners' Cup quarterfinal, second leg
    Uerd.: Vollack - Herget - Dämgen, W Funkel - Buttgereit, Bommer, Feilzer, F Funkel, Raschid (52 Klinger) - Gudmundsson (72 Loontiens), Schäfer
    Dynamo: Jakubowski (46 Ramme) - Dörner - Trautmann, Doschner - Minge, Häfner, Stubner, M Sammer (28 Gütschow), Pilz - Kirsten, Lippmann

So here it is, the number one game of all time, according to "11 Freunde". Bayer Uerdingen won the German Cup in a 1985 upset against Bayern Munich. Here they were facing East German Cup winners Dynamo Dresden. Uerdingen had lost the first leg 0-2 at Dresden. At half-time of the second leg, Dynamo was up 3-1, or 5-1 on aggregate. Uerdingen now only needed to score five goals in the second 45 minutes to advance to the semi final. There were no signs early in the second half that such a miracle was about to happen. After one hour, the aggr. score was still 1-5. But then Bayer Uerdingen exploded. What followed were the greatest 30 minutes of all time? Maybe!
    0-1 Minge 1
    1-1 W Funkel 13
    1-2 Lippmann 36
    1-3 Bommer 41 own goal
    2-3 W Funkel 58 penalty
    3-3 Minge 62 own goal
    4-3 Schäfer 66
    5-3 Klinger 78
    6-3 W Funkel 81 penalty
    7-3 Schäfer 86

18. United Pumps

United Pumps New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    come from?
    "Minge" :D

I've never even heard of that game.

19. ilmilandivanbasten

Apr 9, 2007
    Ploiesti
    I might be getting this match on a trade so I'm very happy it's so highly rated!
    Again congratulations for this thread, it was top notch!

20. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And France-Brazil 86 is rated 98/100 :rolleyes:

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds like a great game but you can clearly tell that this was a match with a German flavour. It was East vs West and then there was another one of those German comebacks. Maybe this thread was a coaches' guide to playing comeback football and also a players guide in scoring a goal for your team, then one for the opposition. Dresden had some quality players in Ulf Kirsten and Matthias Sammer but was Hans-Jürgen Dörner the sweeper?

22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I don't know about you guys, but I would pick as my favourite basically the only match on 11 Freunde's top ten list which doesn't include German teams or a hockey result - Italy v Brazil (3-2) of WC '82.

This match was so pulsating throughout the full ninety and it must have been unbearable for Italians and Brazilians to watch it. Especially the second half is very eventful. An end to end game between two superpowers representing two different styles, two different continents and with all their best players in their prime age (apart from Zoff may be, but he was still outstanding on the day). "The best attacking team in the world" versus "the best defensive team in the world".

There was no such thing as a draw in this game because Brazil would progress if that was the case. Italy had to win so therefore the game would never at any stage stall since one team always had to chase another goal to avoid defeat. The order of the goals meant that the semifinal ticket switched no less than five times between the teams during the game. How often do we see that?

This game is a celebration of football. Apparantly the Brazilians were treated with a great reception when returning home. How often do Brazilian World Cup teams experience that when being knocked out before the semifinals?

A special game of football for sure.

23. ilmilandivanbasten

Apr 9, 2007
    Ploiesti
    France-Brazil 86 is my all-time favourite, because of the unbelievable pace at which it was played and the moments of pure drama in E.T. and at the PKs... But i've just received Uerdingen-Dresden and I can't wait to see this one as well!

24. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    hmmm...shall we be seeing Uerdingen-Dresen at a certain someplace under the title of Game of the Century Part 3 !? :) :eek:

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, as I was born near there (my aunt was living in Thale back then) I have to comment here ;). Actually, Thale had arround 20.000 inhabitants then, so while not big it wasn't exactly a village either. Also, the club had just been promoted to the first division before the final, where they would stay in for four seasons.