the 1 thing the USA has to do to get soccer popular in the US.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002

Does Warren Moon have as many NFL passing records as does Dan Marino?

The answer is no.

That is why it is not a fair comparison.

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That explains why Pele could draw 78,000 to his finale at Giants Stadium,but it doesn't explain why Tab, Claudio, Landon etc. were seen as the saviors of US Soccer while Lassiter, Cobi, Eddie Johnson etc. were seen as "hopefuls".

3. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Dan Marino Have as many NFL titles as does Doug Williams?

The answer is no.

That is why it is not a fair comparison.

4. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002

Lassiter, Cobi, etc. are not that great players. Wait till a really talented black player (Freddy Adu might be one) comes to the forefront in the MLS. Then you will see ...

5. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Doug Williams was in the limelight for a much shorter period of time than Dan Marino was. And Williams does not have as many records as does Marino. These two facts collectively outweigh the effects of Williams' having won one Super Bowl.

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

7. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    No because Anelka is French not black. ;)

Well, I guess you could argue that he's black but certainly not black black.

I think is the first thread in history where the posts went off-topic for the better. And that can only happen when Toot starts it.

8. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many people questioned Jovan Kirovski's "true age"?

9. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    thats a hell of an idea! you ignorant ************.

10. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Yes, then we will see! The sport will suddenly become popular. Not because of a World Cup win, an American star, or amazing ability but because he is black.

Every MLS match will sell out and everyone will become soccer fanatics.

11. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could that be because of the bias there was against black quarterbacks? I've heard a lot of interviews done by Terry Bradshaw in which he says that Joe Gilliam was the better quarterback in '72 than he was and that by all rights, he should have started in their Super Bowls in the '70's.

I know what you're thinking now, "But Sean, that was the '70's, what does that have to do with today?" I'll tell you what that has to do with today, If being black was the primary factor in being a superstar, why would there not be more black players playing in the glamour position of that particular sport than there are now? Quick, name me all of the black quarterbacks in the NFL besides Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper.

White superstars are just as valued as black or hispanic superstars are. Don't cry reverse racism now. I agree that dark skinned professional sports players are recognized more than they were in the past, but is that really saying too much?

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Steve Mcnair
    Quincy Carter
    Kordell Stewart
    Charlie Batch
    Aaron Brooks
    Shaun King
    Akali Smith
    Tee Martin
    Joey Hamilton
    Aaron Wright
    Ray Lucas

13. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Black????

What are you smoking boy ??? Soccer will be popular on usa when MLS/USSF hire people capable with imagination to PROMOTE a sport activity?? ah..... when MLS DISMANTLE THE COACH CARROUSEL......By the way let me have that cigarrete......

14. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of them are undisputed starters?

15. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002

The Tiger Woods phenomenon clearly shows the effect of a sport's having an exceptionally talented black athlete in this country.
    The same thing will occur in American soccer if a very talented black player crops up.

16. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And baseball has lost market share because of what?

17. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If sporting success in this country was as simple a matter of having a black superstar, one would reasonably surmise that the NBA, which has the largest population of black superstars, would be the #1 sport in the country. That is not the case. That's why I see this thread about the black man being the savior of US Soccer as a big ol' pile of bullshit.

With that, I retire from this thread.

See ya.

18. Metrofan CP

Metrofan CP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    NJ
    What Astorian said.

I'm not a huge fan of locking threads. However, this is a thread that has gotten well of topic and is less an issue of soccer than of society. This thread has run its course ... and in record time.