the 1 thing the USA has to do to get soccer popular in the US.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Can't see it.

If Langdon Donovan wasn't attractive, he wouldn't be the poster boy of soccer. Besides, his forehead takes up the whole poster anyway.

No kidding says Sir States-the-Obvious.

Sean

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: HEY

Why do you hate people that are mixed? I'm mixed, so I guess you hate me too? What did I do to you to make you hate me? Please explain.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words: Joe Gaetjens

4. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Re: Re: Re: Re: HEY

I dont hate Mixed people i just hate people giving examples of Mixed people .. Acting like its a full fledge black guy.. He is not Fully he is either black or he isnt .. He is half African and half Holland but his genes came out Whitish ..

5. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goddamn Skipshady, It's Friday night, think of the drunk part of your audience! Had I had a little more to drink tonight, I'd have sued you for making me pee my pants! Post another gem like this one later tonight, and your ass is mine, MF'er!!

6. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Half his genes came out whitish? Very well said Toot.

Race and nationality are two different things. You obviously don't understand too many things so you should think before you say something so blatantly ignorant.

7. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Never mentioned anything about Landon Donovan and never said anything about the "attractiveness" of atheletes.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HEY

Most of the Black people I know can cite a dead Native American or two in their family tree. Few of us are "pure".

Tell us, did more Americans see Shaft than Super Fly?

9. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    That's because he is in a sense. He accomplished much more than Gretzsky and Montana.

I just hate to see people still thinking this way and trying to bring race into everything. Talking and thinking like this doesn't help.

For every major sport you'll find super stars of different races.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If toot has any common sense packed into that head of his, I haven't seen any of it spill out onto these boards yet.

why are you so hung up on how people look? who gives a damn if earnie is black enough for you? If your argument gets shot down -- and it did -- you just whine and twist it around until you find something new to argue about. Admit you're wrong every now and then, and then stop this nonsense.

11. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I realize that, but you said something along the lines of 'the general public only cares about athletic ability' and I was just pointing out that his looks are half the reason Donovan is where he is today.

Sean

12. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    No, I didn't. I was saying how atheletes aren't stars because of their nationality or race but because of their athletic ability.

Donovan would still be a star if he was uglier than Chad Deering. He just wouldn't have all the teenie-bopper/nsync groupies obsessed with him.

13. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    this is the funnist thred I've ever read

14. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    soccerfan- That is the sickest sense of humor I've ever seen.

Sean

15. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    1. Whether Jordan accomplished much more than Gretzky or Montana did is not as clear-cut as you posit it to be.

2. If there is a racial undercurrent to a particular topic/issue, then shoving the racial aspect of it under the carpet in such a matter-of-fact manner defeats the purpose of attempting to conduct an objective discussion (regardless of whether it is politically correct or not).

16. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that's why Doug Williams is seen as the superior quarterback to Joe Namath. They both won the same number of Super Bowls.

I thought they were ALL seen as greats in their sports, my bad.

17. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002

Joe Namath became a legend in the late 1960's and the early 1970's -- things have changed now nearly a generation later (more than 30 years later).

Now if another Joe Namath (white, obviously) comes by, he probably will not attain the same stature in society that the original Joe Namath had.

18. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Would Dan Marino be any more famous if he were black?

19. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I guess soccer is the most popular sport in the world because Pele is black right? Maradona, Puskas et. al can't even be compared to him because they're white boys, correct? Man, you better tell Adidas that they're wasting their money on Beckham, when they should be paying Anelka that money.

20. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Quite possibly. In fact, it might well be the case that a black Dan Marino (with equivalent performances) might become more famous and glamorized than his white counterpart is.

21. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I bet Peyton Manning would be.

22. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002

No, the deification of black athletes vis-a-vis their white counterparts is a much more pronounced phenomenon in the US than it is in the rest of the world.

23. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, Warren Moon on line one for you.

24. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia

25. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see, that's why hockey is more popular than golf, because hockey has only had one black player reach the pinnacle of the sport (Grant Fuhr, shut up with your five Stanley Cup rings, Jarome Iginla, your scoring title means nothing, Willie O'Ree, you made your debut for the Bruins in the '60's but there were dozens of black golfers out there, that's why golf is more popular than hockey today, nothing to do with you.)