NSR: thats it im out of Jersey!

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by elviejomen, Jan 27, 2011.

1. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

ah, yes the rose colored glasses are always on. So you're implying that all these advance degrees, will assure you a great paying salary? Not everything can be taught in class --although your advance degree(s) surely is paying for someone's retirement (Ironically enough someone likely to move to the south)

btw, where are you attending school? Where is your undergrad from?

2. hadexxx

hadexxx Moderator
    Staff Member

May 3, 2005
    University of Rhode Island and Bryant University....

Yup... School only teaches the theoretical... I already have 7 years out in the "real" world.

mmm... Yeah... the work I do allows many others to make a living, some make a really great living, some others make tons of money... the guys making 7 bucks an hour pay for my salary... and that is prety much how it usually works... so I don't see your point on the Bold part. If you work for your self and you make a living for your self independently... great for you! But what does that have to do with moving away from here?

3. hadexxx

hadexxx Moderator
    Staff Member

May 3, 2005
    and by the way... you are right, when I first came out of college... I couldn't find a job... it took me a while... A Degree doesn't guarantee you anything, experience and a few degrees does put you in a much better position than the average person, I am sure you would agree. Most likely you went to an IVY league school and feel that you are much more competent than I am, I am assuming, if not you would have not probably asked where my undergrad was from.

4. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If u two keep going back and forth I think im going to create a thread named "thats it im back to college.."

Btw thanks to the rain all that white $hit is melting :)

5. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think that at all(regarding the me vs you competency point). I just want you to understand that the reasons to stay in this region are far more important than some bad snow storm. Do you have kids? --- because that changes the equation quite a bit. My perspective 'pre kids' was much more idealistic and 'free spirit'. I traveled and met a ton of people and absolutely loved it. But once it was time to settle down I really needed to look at the hard facts, pros and cons for the area. I'm sure you'll do well in your endeavors. I was just frustrated about your complaining about what was nothing more than 5-6" in what's been a pretty mild winter so far!

Below is a recent study that you may be interested in, if not now, surely when you have children:

http://fcd-us.org/sites/default/files/Analyzing State Differences in Child Well-Being_1.pdf

6. hadexxx

hadexxx Moderator
    Staff Member

May 3, 2005
    yeah, no kids...

cool report... Rhode Island is 43rd on Family Economic Well-Being... I guess i've done really good then :p

Don't get me wrong... this has been the best winter ever!!!!!

Now, focusing on education... I have a bunch of mix feeling about that... I would do my best to have my kids go to a private school(if i ever have kids), as I think that the public system sucks... but then again... I came out of Central Falls High-School...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcWxysSCNI&feature=relmfu"]Central Falls Teachers - YouTube[/ame]

I think family involvement has TONS to do with education... The whole country looked at this school as a shame!!!! Brown wouldn't even look at our applications... but guess what? after going through other schools... 5 of my friends ended up graduating from Brown University, my other friend who was my roommate at URI as well just finished his Doctorate at Brown University.... etc... and I still believe that some of the teachers were wonderful teachers and helped move forward in my academic and professional life. (67% of my class went to college and I believe everyone has a college degree today)

If we speak of upper education... any day the northern and cooler states will always beat the crap out of the southern states... (BU, Harvard,Brown,MIT,BC,etc, etc, etc)

also after what I have gone in my short life... I think life has a lot to do with who you know as well.

I a also thankful of the opportunities I did have and experience I have gained here on my native state... one of the reasons I am still here is that I do like the people, I have a great job... etc... but... I am tired of the cold...

7. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Listos pa la tormenta?

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    my boss called me that I don't have to go to work tomorrow and I am getting paid :)

Snow days as an adult are pretty awesome.

9. ColombianKilla

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The power will probably go out for a couple of days over here.

:(

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Stay safe guys... Get water and food that you don't have to prepare and/or a grill and also plenty of ice for your perishables...

Lets see how many hours can crazed survive without power and still think that this is "awesome"...

MetroChile repped this.
  11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My apartment is flooding but I have power. Brooklyn were my best friend lives is fkd and jersey is scary I saw a picture of a shark swimming on a street today

12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    elviejomen -- getting ready for Nemo :(
    gas stations already starting to get lines. People in Jersey get panicky real fast!

13. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol los gringos son soyados, mi hermana comento eso. Por ahora no esta tan mala la situacion

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fall Storms, Winter Storms, if you get a Spring storm the NE will be officially worst than S. Florida...

15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In boston we ran out of gas yesterday. I was going to go home to CT because my parents have a back up generator but decided to just stay at my gfs in Harvard. We have at least a foot already

16. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Good luck guys, hopefully this will pass without too much damage. Stay safe..

17. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don't see what everyone is tripping balls about, media is blowing this up like crazy. The blizzard of 09 was worse. nearly 3 feet of snow.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    on vacation in tokyo this week...plane just got off in time!

19. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you guys experience different seasons. Winter and fall are myths where im from. Its mostly summer year round with "spring" btw december and february.

20. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I rather have one season all year long than deal with freezing temperatures.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    those freaking hot summers in Florida even get the flying roaches going....nah, not for me. I'll take the 4 seasons any day :)

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree with minus. I'd tather take a trip to see the red leaves and the snow. I can wear shorts from April to October and play soccer or basketball year round.

23. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Este man es costeño....

Odio el invierno, la unica razon por la cual me mamo este frio es por las oportunidades

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Naahhh, pero 13 años en Miami ya se me subio la temperatura. Lo de las oportunidades es relativo, mi cuñada se fue para dc y si se gana mejor, pero todo es mucho mas caro y los impuestos mas altos...

25. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Washington?