"Thank you, Jurgen. And good bye. Time to Move on from the Sterile Klinsmann Interlude"

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CarlosE, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely my point.

But in judging Jurgen's performance and the team's performance, we DO know those things.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a good laugh when they said that coasta rica played an attractive brand of futbol.

When did counter attack become sexy soccer?

Also we had a much harder road than them. Uruguay without Suarez is toothless (which is the side they faced). England is good but not elite. Italy can be top notch but are aging honestly for the first time in ages tactically approached the games horribly. Greece is a bunker down side.

Ghana, Portugal, Germany, Belgium are all tougher sides than what they faced. Only Italy can claim a place amongst the sides we faced and Uruguay if Suarez was playing which he didn't against them.

3. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Dynamo Kyiv?

4. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    In the end, all Costa Rica and USA can do is play whomever they are paired with, anything else is opinion.

Costa Rica did not select Uruguay, Italy, England or Greece to play, but they are in the quarters. USA is not.

5. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    "Sabotaging" us?!? Good Lord.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #106 Mr Martin, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    http://www.eloratings.net/

ELO Rankings:

Germany 3
    Portugal 7
    Belgium 14
    Ghana 38

England 6
    Uruguay 9
    Italy 11
    Greece 20

The US had a much harder road????

The US faced 2 slightly higher ranked, one slightly lower ranked, and one much lower ranked opponents. Average ranking of US opponents = 15.5. Average ranking of Costa Rica's opponents = 11.5

And before you try to counter with Uruguay being without Suarez, the US faced Portugal without Pepe, Coentrao, Patricio, and Almeida, and with Ronaldo struggling at < 100% thanks to the leg injury. That comparison isn't even close.

I simply don't understand the need to cut down Costa Rica's fantastic tournament.

7. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    No offense but you are either joking or delusional. We would finish in the bottom three slots over that span. POSSIBLY the 4th from bottom. You have a very optimistic view of our talent level.

Q Exp, taylor and Mr Martin repped this.
  8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, agreed. But delusion is running rampant around here:

beerslinger23 repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Paul Gardner, and good bye. Time to move on from the "if it isn't Latin, it's crap" meme you've been spouting since the 1970s.

Oh, and thanks for all the fish.

10. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's FIFA numbers and then there's reality. For instance, Ghana 38 was tougher than Portugal 7. I would have taken a dysfunctional England, a lethargic Italy, and the Suarez-less Uruguay, and the toothless Greece any day. Going into it, I figured that group was going to be much tougher. Things don't always go as planned. And certainly, I would have taken Greece over Belgium!

Tejas repped this.
  11. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yea? People like you always talk about 'talent level,' and then Costa Rica whoops up on Italy and England. Maybe, you should rethink how you see things a bit. Delusional seems to be an unworthy summation imo.

Taco10 repped this.
  12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Cherrypicking an extreme case to make a point about a general idea is no way to argue. CR is going home tomorrow as much as I'd like to see them in the semis. They got Greece. We got Belgium. Greece couldn't score a man up for over an hour. I believe we have even more untapped potential than most nations but it is untapped. The team we fielded was not technical enough in the midfield to maintain possession once we got into the attacking third. It is THAT simple. In four years we will be much stronger there and we will better be able to compete. Either way, I am done arguing about it. Happy 4th, guy.

13. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Extreme? This is the World Cup, dude. This is what separates the men from the boys. There's no excuses (and even if there were, England and Italy still don't have them other than the weather). Do you think people let the US off the hook for 06 because they were ranked 6 going into it? And the argument wasn't so much that the US can't be better. We were discussing the quality of those teams. That's the simplicity that you should be speaking of. Cos you're deviating the argument.

Tejas and taylor repped this.
  14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

You are right. I am wrong. You win. Happy 4th, guy.

Taco10 and taylor repped this.
  15. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Okay, you're the one that was going black and white, not me, dude. And it would've been a great 4th had we had a quarterfinal vs Messi this weekend. That would've been epic. But hey, if you're having fun this weekend, more power to ya.

16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i so wish i could buy you a beer dude

17. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I have seen enough beers for 10,000 lifetimes. Thanks though.

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    quitter :)

19. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    Get back to your xbox kid.

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  20. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Costa Rica player sent off, 66th minute, Greece scores, 90+1st minute. Not even a half hour was CR down a man before Greece scored.

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany is tougher than any they faced, but you are sincere in claiming that Portugal, Ghana, Belgium is a tougher group than Italy, England, Uruguay????

What is true, TrueFan, is that you take special pleading to new depths.

As for Costa Rica [note, not "Coasta"], yes they did play a counter attack style. So it is a testament to how poorly JK prepared the USA that, nevertheless, in comparison to us, CR played a very attractive brand of soccer.

Tejas repped this.
  22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Ok you got me. I just remember the game being a tie where Greece couldn't score for a long passages of play. I forgot it was 1-1 , not 0-0.They couldn't score 2 goals being up a man for 53 minutes and change. Either way, Greece was pathetic. They also got a gift vs CIV to steal it in stoppage time. Others agree with me and some disagree so I am not alone in my opinion and neither are you. I promised to be less of a jerk to the mods so I am not up for debate on this but you were right about the scoreline and the clock.

taylor repped this.
  23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ELO rankings are a joke. Don't even go there.

They've had a great run and I'm not trying to hate just thought the article was a bad one. They don't need to compare us and them to give them credit. If they do ima give my opinion.

I congratulate them for what they've accomplished. No need to drag us into like the article did.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather play Greece or England before any of the other sides. Uruguay without Suarez has proven to be toothless (no pun intended). Italy is a trip because they're in my mind the best of the rest after Germany. However, this is t the same Italy we've seen. I've never seen them make so many pre match tactical errors. They just didn't look like the Italy we all are use too.

25. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Who are these Latin American teams that play such beautiful soccer? Colombia. I can't think of another side in this World Cup. Argentina has lots of skill but largely play negative, which Gardner abhors. Chile and Costa Rica have more flair players than the US but in this World Cup they've mostly played like the US in using athleticism and work-rate. Mexico spent almost the entire Brazil and Netherlands matches playing defense. And Brazil these days is just brutal to watch. Gardner has always been trapped in a 70s and 80s nostalgia. The fact is these days the most beautiful soccer is largely played by a few European sides (Spain, Germany, Netherlands and sometimes Italy).