Thank you and farewell, it's been good but enough is enough

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by gretnapie, Dec 25, 2014.

1. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are times that not being born in Salt Lake and following the club has its advantages, and whilst I firmly belive that you stay with your club ( where you were born, hence Notts County and my nearest team for the last 35 years Gretna). RSL have hacked me off too much with the move of Seb Valasquez to NYCFC, I have been most supportive of the change of management and the changes they are introducing but this final departure is a step too far representing the sale of the future.

I've said before the team has to enter and go through a transition that would take time and would be painful but enough is enough, I hope there is some good youth hidden in the 'A' team because Gil, Plata and Schuler are not enough to build a team when Javi's legs finally go and Kyle converts to a centre half /sweeper to extend his career.

So I'll hide behind when I came to Salt Lake it was via San Francisco and return by Chicago the trips were 17 hours and 12 hours and if I choose another team it can be closer. So I can't elect to follow am existing team cause I've got a grudge against every one RSL has ever lost to. It is too difficult to follow RSL from getting there, to kick off times when watching on the silver screen, now finally the future being discarded.

So I'm going to try and follow New York City, not because of Jason or Seb but because it's only a five hour flight to New York but because they are new and have no history I have to inherit.

That's my logic and I still feel guilty about deserting the team of my first choice albeit accidentally when looking up what happened to Kenny Deuchar, I shall miss you all even those of you that have heaped some pretty heavy abuse on me.

Sometimes I've asked for it, sometimes you've been extremely cruel ,but that's life. So thank your all for the fun and stimulation and even entertainment when I've been tongue in cheek. I also hope I've contributed something to your knowledge and understanding of the game

Goodbye - I shall miss you
    God bless you all and peace be with you

Best Regards

Alan

(First rat off the ship)

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm okay. Well good luck to you. Don't be a stranger.

(Trying the positive approach here)

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems crazy to go because of Velasquez, but best of luck.

4. JZK316

JZK316 Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Land of Leprechauns
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic jumping off a cliff.

5. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Good luck Gretnapie - hope your support of RSLECSC (RSL East Coast Soccer Club) goes well, at least until they play the original RSL.

P.S. Can you convince Phills to follow your logic?

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go get 'em! Tell Doctor Goals we said hi.

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Will do

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who is the NYCFC USL affiliate? Thats where you should go look to support if you're following Velasquez

TheBiff and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @gretnapie, you will genuinely be missed by me. While I didn't always agree with you, I did recognize someone who'd followed football his entire life, knew the game better than I ever will and was a decent writer with maturity in expression. I liked reading your contributions.

I like that you see MLS's continuing rise in quality rather than constantly giving a drumbeat of doom. Many "Eurosnob" football fans in the US follow European teams and can't give their local team and/or league a first look, or an honest look at how it is improving. It was refreshing to read your evolving take. It is a testament to your belief that MLS is continuing to grow in quality that you are adopting a new MLS team rather than walking completely away shaking your head at the futility of it all.

I completely understand this decision, not because Seba's trade was the last straw, but because of the difficulty following a team that is far away for which you have no other close association.

Enjoy the 'new car smell' of NYCFC. It is so great to be able to watch a team stumble and bumble and not care because you know in its first season that is exactly what is expected. Every single win, heck, every goal, should be savored because they should be rare in this first season.

Farewell, Alan. You will be missed.

Paul

RSLer, JLaw and Ismitje repped this.
  10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will you take Phills with you?

Just kidding.

Well, sort of, not really.

Please, TAKE PHILLS WITH YOU!

jessyca, 15 to 32, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  11. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Best of luck...I will really miss your contributions and your view-point. Sometimes we (local fans) end up too close to the situation and miss the obvious.

There is one area where we, as the local fans, do have an advantage...a better understanding behind the scenes issues regarding certain players. There is a very good reason why many here are NOT defending Seba despite his obvious skill set. He's a knuckle-head. Now that he is gone, there will be more and more stories coming out from youth coaches and RSL personnel who had to deal with him. The hope was that his issues were related to his youth and lack of life experience. Turns out it was related to having a million dollar left foot and a $.10 head. (Bull Durham reference for you Gretnapie.) So, while we will miss his potential, sometimes you have to cut bait.

Again, your contributions and writing style will be missed.

Best!

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with Balance. I'll miss your unique perspective. Best of luck.

13. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    ...and I will miss your Andy-Warhol-esque avatar!