TFC vs Portland April 27, 2019 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Kingston, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yet another home game (will be our fifth in seven matches) sees TFC invite the Timbers to BMO Field.

On the face of things, this is a game we should dominate. I hope we do and that we don't miss Altidore too much.

2. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    I noticed that this game is airing on CTV in Toronto - CFTO. It's airing nationally on CTV as well.

First time I've seen that. When did CTV start airing games?

Of course, they own TSN, so they could have for a long time.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    They often air a few games a year that way.

On the game itself - yuck. Just a poorly played game by TFC. Missing Altidore didn't really seem to mean much because they were disjointed and weren't generating chances anyway. Unfortunate that they picked this game to funk because this was three points they should have had. If you're going to turn in a stinker it would have been better in a game where they weren't favoured to win.

I imagine Vanney will have a few things to say before they get to Orlando.

4. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    see Kingston, I think the complete opposite. Without Altidore they look like they cant link up through the top. Pozuelo looked frustrated without a go to up top. The options after Jozy are thin. Hamilton is fine but not at the same league as Jozy. If Jozy misses big time this year with injuries I say they play stinkers. If he is in, they will be a threat to win games they maybe shouldn't and should.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's not just about Jozy though. They need him to stay healthy because they haven't got any wide players who can stretch other teams. With Jozy in, at least they have a threat in the middle of the pitch. Without Jozy, we're screwed against teams that can defend and keep the ball well.

On another note, is anyone tired of Delgado getting the benefit of the doubt from Vanney? Three subs yesterday and not one was used to take Delgado out of the game. I'd rather use Fraser as a 6 and push Bradley into more of an 8 so that he can link play to Pozuelo. Delgado just gives the ball away cheaply and doesn't defend.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes to Delgado getting too much forgiveness.

I'm not sure about pushing Bradley up, though. When we do defend well it is with him at the back of the midfield anchoring things. I remember many times in 2017 when he actually drifted behind the defensive line. What about trying Fraser as the 8 and leaving Bradley to assist our porous defense?

7. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Right now, Bradley is more valuable to the team if he's given more freedom to drive forward with the ball. Pozuelo was isolated yesterday because no one could get him the ball and you don't want him coming too deep to receive it. I want someone with Bradley's vision further forward to get Pozuelo the ball or to spray out wide.

Fraser's still young. His jobs should be to simply recycle possession, drop into CB if a CB has to go wide to cover for a FB, and restrict through balls from getting in between the lines.

8. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah I've never really understood all the hype over Delgado. Then again, he's only 23.