TFC Champions League

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MLS3, Sep 7, 2002.

1. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I would like to congradulate the MFL for winning the Champions Cup this season. I don't know a whole lot about the MFL so I won't pretend to, I do know MLS though...but anyways, there have been numerious rumors on how the Cup will be setup for next season, just was posting cuz i haven't heard anything in a while, just seeing if anyone knew anything new? Last I heard it was going to be setup like UEFA's Champions League...which i think would be great for us, but with our confederation and its leaders who knows what will happen, we need a TV deal for it also, maybe the US and Mexico and its leagues can try and work on that, that would be great, start of making this Cup/League into something great...

For what its worth I hope "we" go with a Champions League, and the teams that qualify for it have actually won something...(for MLS maybe the Supporters Shield winner, Supporters Shield Runner-up, MLS Cup winner and USOC winner (A-League teams have a chance at getting in with this idea)....

2. Lufbra

Lufbra New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Burbank, CA
    Some-one called the radio show 'World Soccer Weekly' and said that he had called the Concacaf offices and that the FC said next years competition will be the same format as this year with home/away. To me, that's the best way to go with this tournament for now. All the extra games and travel involved in group play isn't really necessary for this confederation. Remember, there isn't much prize money for the teams and outside of Mexico, MLS, and a handful Central American teams the FC doesn't have much depth.

As for the TV thing, the FC could probably get it on TV either on one of the spainish stations, cable or even PPV but they need some longterm sponsorship. Something the FC has not excelled at. Until that happens I don't see much in the way of TV.

Of course, this is Concacaf we're dealing with and anything can hapen between now and the next 5 minutes.

3. davidfooty

davidfooty New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    THE FC seems to be waffling on there decision last year on a CONCACAF champions league. They got rid of the Giants Cup and announced the new league format. The Champions league was to be played this year but they decided not to because of the World Cup. They had even posted a message on the web site that said it would start up the following year. I really hope they get their act together I'm tired of there indecision.

They really need to start promoting the "champions competition" and get a good tv contract. CONCACAF just sucks when it comes to this stuff.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Yo comprendo. Still, you have to wonder how much of the waffeling is there because the money isn't.

5. davidfooty

davidfooty New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    And one reason why there isn't money is they don't know how to market anything(tv etc etc)

davidfooty

6. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The format for some of the "preliminary rounds" is set...

http://concacaf.com/news/article.page/969

In the article, CONCACAF says "advance to the Champions Cup proper, with the first round (round-of-16) beginning in early 2003."

The round-of-16 is the first round, which is how it was this year.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, can you believe qualifying for 2003 begins less than a month after the 2002 tournament ends?

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    If the TFC/CONMEBOL PanAmerican Cup becomes a reality what will happen to the TFC Champions Cup ? would the format change to only have the Champions in a Hexagonal or will they compete with the PanAmerican Cup which im guessing the Mexican Clubs will prefer...

9. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central American clubs are using their 2003 CONCACAF Champion's Cup qualifiers as pre-qualifiers for the Copa PanAmericana.

The three group winners along with the second place club with the best record advance to a Copa PanAmericana qualifying tournament. The four Central American clubs will have the tournament from 11/12-16 at a site to be determined. The top two will qualify for the final tournament next year.

The CONCACAF Champion's Cup is supposed to take place from FEB to AUG.

The Copa PanAmericana doesn't start until August 2003, I guess after the CONCACAF Champion's Cup has been decided.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Which ever 2 Central American clubs that qualify for the Copa Panamericana are going to play a lot of futbol next year.