TFC at Philly March 2, 2109 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Kingston, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    We open the season on the road in Philadelphia.

The Union seem to have made some solid improvements over the off season. I'm unfortunately not expecting a great result from TFC on the road in this season opener. Altidore is out, too, which is not going to help things. I do hope that Hamilton gets a start after scoring in the CCL.

We'll probably have to wait for more signings to be locked down before TFC truly take shape for this season. Unfortunately, I think the team needs a mental shake down even more than new players. Yes, Giovinco and Vasquez are talented players and need to be replaced. They were both here last year, however, and we still did badly. We need to get back to the 2017 mentality of winning despite missing players instead of explaining how losses were because of missing players.

2. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Well that will keep a certain fairweather doom and gloom fan quiet for a couple of weeks. It wasn't pretty but a nice gritty win to open the MLS campaign. Given some time to gel and a couple of reinforcements on the way, TFC is going to be okay. I don't expect a title but I do expect a playoff appearance.

3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fantastic start to the season. The backline didn't concede in open play which was a victory in and of itself but getting three points away from home is even better.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A happy surprise. Much better than I was expecting and it could have been even more so with the penalty kick. Hopefully this is a precedent for things to come.

5. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good performance to score 3 goals on the road with the lack of attacking quality we had starting this game, hope we can continue the early momentium going forward as we continue to get players back from injury and from the transfer market.

6. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nice to see the team scrap out a win. Particularly after the dismal performances in the CCL

But seriously, can this team not hire a penalty kick coach or something? TFC is becoming the Shaquille O'Neal of soccer - If TFC has a clear scoring opportunity, you are better off fouling in the box and taking the chance on them missing the PK.