Texian Army/ El Batallon (Share your thoughts)

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by NicaMexicano, Apr 13, 2009.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm too tired to read all the posts here, I've started to reply to this thread a couple of times today, but I always close the window without sending it, I really don't know how to add anything here, I keep changing my mind and agreeing with everybody.

But about the song, maybe somebody's mentioned it already, but it's about time that we have a real Dynamo song, a song that means something to the fans, doesn't sound lame and fits any situation. Something anybody in orange would spontaneously start singing. And not something everybody else has, like "esta noche, tenemos que ganar." And not Mike Jones' song, it was a nice try but even he can't remember the words to it. And it can't be a dumb song created by the guys at Forever Orange, presented by StatoilHydro and your friends at the Koloche Factory. Sorry guys, yall do good but this has to be something from the heart, not from the pocketbooks and marketing department. Now, how does that happen?.... :confused::rolleyes::cool:

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    couldn't agree more! As for how it happens; a few passionate fans get together and come up with something short and catchy that encapsulates our love of this team. They teach it to their respective SG groups. They agree to sing it at predetermined times (start of each half?) and sing together!! . . . I think the only way to get the rest of the stadium involved is to type it up and leave it in the seats with a heart felt call to sing with all your heart at those times. We do this for 3-4 games until the STH and regulars along with the SG know it by heart and can sing it with passion at any point. We keep the traditon of starting each half with the anthem.

It is hard for one group to start a song, if no one next to them knows it. But if a group picks up the banner and the seats next to them know the song . . . you can get the whole stadium going at a minute's notice!

Ok so just a thought. :)

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about "GOALS, GOALS, GOALS for the ORANGE WHITE & BLUE . . . GOALS, GOALS, GOALS for the ORANGE WHITE & BLUE" I think it works

4. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    What is wrong with leaving it in the seats? Someone earlier had a problem with that...I think. Is that considered lame? It has to start somewhere, I think that is an excellent idea. BUT, if TA and EB are on opposite sides, they will never sing it at the same time (see acoustics in stadiums thread). If they are on the same side, it will be blasted out for every one to hear and I would think they would be more likely to participate.
    Thank you for this thread and the thick skin.

5. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure who had a problem with leaving it in seats as that is a good way to educate everyone on the song (or songs) at the same time. Or if anyone actually looked in their Game guide this past game they may have seen something called Supporters Chants.

What I meant by "manufactured" is the jumbotron induced stuff you see in other American Sports. Now that stuff is lame and even though some may disagree I personally believe that kind of thing makes a crowd into lemmings just waiting on a cue from someone in a booth.

seth, brahma and others have some good ideas, so keep the comments coming because that is things that can be done and there are many talented people in and outside of the SG's here in H-Town.

I also applaud the leaders of the Groups for opening lines of communication and keeping an open mind about this thread.

6. Lemuel

Lemuel Member

Nov 14, 2006
    HOU
    Feel good story of the day, this Thread! Finally an honest to goodness dialogue amongst fans, I'm glad things didn't go horribly wrong since the initial post. Well done guys.

7. NicaMexicano

NicaMexicano Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Houston
    I am very happy to see the dialogue that developed as a result of the initial posting. The first response seemed to be an attempt to get personal, but this is a fruitless endeavor over these means of communication.

That being said, I can understand how sharing my preferences towards one melody over another could be insulting to devoted fans.

I'm glad to see the support of not criticizing those who are not part of of a SG, but realizing that those dispersed SG quality fans could be part of the key to creating that menacing environment that once existed within the Dynamo stadium. I have attended matches from Celtic Park in Glasgow to Maracana in Rio... I have the energy to get section 119 to join a unified chant and I actually believe that it wouldn't take much effort, seeing the light midgame clapping and ultra support after a goal.

I have heard some great ideas come from this thread and I hope that even one unified decsion can come out of this. Perhaps a good time to begin is this weekend against Colorado... Two mid game rallys to get the crowd pumped up... 35th minute and 80th minute, when the Dynamo seem to apply the most pressure, but haven't been able to capitalize.

Let's get this organized and get ready to blow out DeRo's freakn' mind when he comes back.

p.s. You can bet this NicaMexicano duo has tickets to CONCACAF Gold Cup at Reliant with Nicaragua vs. Guadalupe and Mexico vs. Panama.

"If you don't believe in Soccer, you don't believe in God"

8. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize for the first response as it was not intended to get personal with you per se, it was more directed at seeing the same thing from yet another person on the outside that does not have all the information pertaining to the issues at hand. Breaking out the Magic Lamp and wishing for a return to how things were once upon a time is well and good but things progress and situations change.

Before the groups moved to different parts of the Stadium there were issues in the Northend, after the move one group continued to do the same thing and the other group had to do things differently than before. It is irrelevant what peoples opinion is of what style, songs, sounds, visuals or anything else at this point as now you have two different styles. In order for things to work in unison there are things that need to be done.

The best way is probably a fair compromise to incorporate all styles with all the elements. Is this the easiest way? Maybe, provided both sides are willing to compromise/participate in the others style.

Another way would be for both sides to adopt one way and one element only, therefore eliminating the others completely. And either group would be for giving up it's own identity that they created over time why exactly?

One aspect that makes this situation different than it is in Scotland, Germany, Brazil or Argentina is that we have different languages in play. I personally think it is a good thing that gives us a unique opportunity, do something really inclusive of everyone that this City represents. At the same time I am not naive and have seen both groups decline to participate in chants that are in a language other than the primary one with which they conduct business. Can this be fixed? I would think so but it will take everyone doing their part.

The actual logistics involved in any potential move would also include Fans that are not in SG's and issues to be worked out with tickets and seat locations changes etc. are just a few things that many people don't even consider.

9. Tankfantry

Tankfantry Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had the pleasure to see some games at Parkhead as well but the difference is those fans have been learning the clubs songs since they could talk so if one sections starts signing it echos around the ground quickly. We just don't system set up yet thus making it harder but the issue with the SG in different ends of the stadium I could careless (as a non SG member) because I enjoy seening both sides show their own style of passion for our team.

10. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    agree with Offebacher, manufactured noise is terrible. i would rather it be silent than have corny songs and chants coming out of the speakers and jumbotron.

11. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I gotcha now. I hate the "noise meter" at the juice box, but c'mon, i know Brahma will suport me on this one,......you can't beat chester charge.

[​IMG]

I think we can all agree that the next stadium should have the Astrodome's scoreboard.
    [​IMG]

12. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No we can't. The jumbotron is a crutch to keep people interested. I don't think we have that problem.

13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I liked that, but the very best thing to ever happen in the Astrodome (I've mentioned this here before) was when the dome would spontaneously, with no scoreboard or p.a. help, burst into "Houston" and "Astros" on different halves of the stadium. It only happened a few times for real but it was awesome when it did....

14. Tankfantry

Tankfantry Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word...I was there for one of those back in the day.

15. DrSue

DrSue Member

Nov 14, 2008

That's where we are....and are more than willing to join. I get the sense that people around us would join in as well

(I personally liked "we're for kinnear"...lol ) :rolleyes:

16. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once things start going in circles, as they always eventually do, I will close it. Looks ok so far.

17. NicaMexicano

NicaMexicano Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Houston
    I do not believe I am being idealistic when I imagine an approach to the 80 minute mark.

At minute 79:50, the fans start yelling the count down:
    10, 9, 8.... players and regular fans know what's coming
    7, 6, 5...... guests and opposing team fans start wondering what the heck is going on
    4, 3, 2...... more people count down for the hell of it
    1...... Horns from Batallon "parump pum pum pum pum pum paaaaaaaaam"
    Horns from Texian A. "Parump pum pum pum pum pum paaaaaaaaaaam"

Then drums from both sides
    "Bong balabongbung Bong balabongbung Bong balabonbung Bong balabongbung..."

and the fans jumping for the last ten minutes, while both sides are pounding the bass, and the dynamo put forth the last minute onslaught that they always attempt, but don't always succeed with.

I think the leaders of each SG can coordinate at least one effort where something of this nature occurs. At the risk of alienating myself, I am willing to bet that this kind of coordination and energy would lift spirits on the field. One success story and both SG's would be addicted to their ability to lead the fans and the team, and we would make headlines..

Fine... call me an idealist... but I do believe section 119 would follow suit.

18. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    With a game clock, different groups can coordinate and sing in sync, so what's the hold up?

I don't know about this other option, but someone in one SG can communicate via cell phone to someone in another SG to sync chants, as in both giving the 1-2-3-4 simultaneously...

19. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Lighten up. It was a Houston old school joke. I would rather have a three foot screen if it meant we had our new stadium.

While I don't like the TA EB split up, I think the drum thing coordinated between the two groups sounds cool.

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two main suggestions were expressed in this thread: One was the need for the stadium to have a single chant, and the second one was the desire to have the two main supporter groups, EB and TA, move back together.

· Great suggestions to achieve a single chant were expressed in this thread. However, these ideas need somebody to transform them to actions. This would be easier if it was organized by BOTH of the existing SGs working together, not by an isolated group of fans in section x (sorry Nicamex, I admire your enthusiasm, but you don’t have the lung power that the TA or EB carry, even if you drink lots of Flor de Caña or received voice lessons from the Mejia Godoy family).

· The [naïve] suggestion to have the two groups get back together to the same side was not appropriate for this thread, as it neglects the differences that may exist between the SGs. The sensitivity of the issue (which us outsiders are "not privy to":rolleyes:) reveals that getting the two groups to agree on a strategy to get the entire stadium singing at the same time will be difficult to achieve.

If the TA and EB could put their differences aside for a few minutes and design a strategy for organized stadium-wide chanting, they would find a mechanism to improve the already-awesome atmosphere they bring to Robertson. However, human nature is complex, and we humans let our differences get in the way of our actions. Agreements usually require for leaders to leave their egos at home and come to the table with genuine desire to negotiate. But I suspect that if the TA proposes to sing a black song, EB would want a white song, and finding a gray song may require an experienced negotiator.

Perhaps all we could hope from this thread is that the leaders of TA and EB hear us non-SG fans, and understand that along with the fun and support they bring to the stadium, they bring leadership. But being a leader is more than simply having huge muscles, a bunch of followers, a cool car and Hugo Sanchez-style ego. Being a leader carries certain responsibilities that we all should be willing to assume. In this particular case, non-SG fans like Nicamex, me and others reached out to y’all expressing a desire to get coordinated support and a single song, as if this was the EB’s or TA’s responsibility. I know it is not the EB’s or TA’s responsibility, but this is what happens when you get organized and become defacto leaders of the fan base. Sometimes, responsibility is assigned to us, whether we want it or not.

Anyway, perhaps something will come out of this thread. Or perhaps nothing. Maybe Nicamex and fans like me are just like the people who oversimply things stating ideas like “why don’t the Palestinians and Israelis sit down and agree to share the Holy Land and leave in peace forever?”:eek:

Thanks for listening, everybody.

By the way, moving this thread to “Houston Supporters Clubs” forum may just have killed the intent of the thread. Personally, as a non-SG fan, I NEVER read this forum. Having this thread in the general forum allowed for non-SG fans like me to find it, and express our views or our gratitude to SGs. Perhaps the MODs are just like my solterona (unmarried) aunt Luisita, who in her effort to organize any house she visits, she always puts our stuff in places where nobody can find them.

21. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work Hydro, well put.

Suddenly I feel like drinking a Quilmes! ;)

Maybe this team needs a Fan Coordinator like they have in Europe?
    And no, the Fan Coordinator does not lead Chants and get the Dynamo Girls to come to your tailgate or spot in the Sauza Cantina. European Teams have Fan Coordinator's to act as a liaison between different groups and the FO, and also handle all the stuff with different teams FO's and SG's. This is probably far from the MLS Radar, but no reason the Dynamo can't lead the way.

22. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I was going to reference a thread from 2 or 3 weeks ago that got closed, but I can't find it (????).

Anyway, people are acting like this has not been discussed in a civil matter and the fact is that it has. There was a thread within the last month and got LOTS of attention where the leaders from both groups spoke. The conclusion of the thread was the both groups are open to the idea of an eventual reunite, but it will not happen too soon and the leaders need to talk. It is my understanding that the leaders have spoken on the phone a few times since then and the may have even met in person (not sure about the last part).

The gist of it, is to not over analyze, I am sure the leaders know the thoughts of both their group members and "sideline" fans like many who are posting in here.

I can assure you the the wheels are moving, even if it is slowly. Also, I think it is pretty clear that the leaders are friendly with each other and mostly on the same page, it is the "common" member of each group that needs come around. Until the VAST majority of each group is up to reunite, it will not matter how much the leaders want it.

Anyway, I do not know for fact, but am fairly certain all of these points have been or are being discussed.

In reference to moving the thread, if you are concerned the groups will not hear what the non-supporter fan has to say, I can assure that they have heard it. I really see nothing in here that has not been said before. I also do not think we need to solicit opinions. I like to keep our forum focused on the team and while the SGs are certainly a component of the team, they are not directly related. If the leaders of the group disagree and see new things, or want to hear from as many people as possible, PM me and I will move it back.

23. NicaMexicano

NicaMexicano Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Houston
    [QUOTE=Hydro "sorry Nicamex, I admire your enthusiasm, but you don’t have the lung power that the TA or EB carry, even if you drink lots of Flor de Caña or received voice lessons from the Mejia Godoy family)."

Ooooh, that was nice.... I like that. Flor De Cana every day and saw Carlos Mejia Godoy reunion in Managua this past August..... Very nice:cool:

long live the "one nineteener's"

contact me if you need something going from our section

24. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, for that is a good read for those who missed it.