Texian Army/ El Batallon (Share your thoughts)

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by NicaMexicano, Apr 13, 2009.

1. NicaMexicano

NicaMexicano Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Houston
    I have had season tickets for two years now. When last years season started, Texian Army was seated next to El Batallon. My wife and I were discussing that it was so much better when TA played with EB. EB has way better music (no offense TA), but the melody better suits the Dynamo fans. But with TA on the other side, both bands get drowned out and it kills the mood.
    I sit near center, closer to EB, and ask why can't TA move back over to the EB side and play in conjunction. The stadium would sound so much louder, much more exciting, and the crowd as a whole would be able to get more involved. TA, you never see players go applaud that side of the field... why not just go back to the EB side.

It's better for everyone... trust me.

EB, what do you think about this idea?

thanks,

NicaMexicano forever orange

2. Lemuel

Lemuel Member

Nov 14, 2006
    HOU
    Dude your gonna get it, not only has this subject been beat to death but it's also a very sensitive issue around these parts. RIP!

3. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I were discussing how much better it was when the economy was in great shape, people had jobs and gas was about $1.25 a gallon. The Economy may eventually get better, people should get more jobs again but I don't think we will ever see gas get that low again. The moral of the story is that it is nice that you and your wife discuss things about the Supporters Groups and that you may indeed have great intentions but you should let the Groups Leaders sort this out. If and when the issues that you and your Wife are not privy to are sorted out then the result will be better for everyone.....trust me.

NicaMexicano, what do you think about this idea?

4. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we turning in to Frisco South or do all teams/fans mature this way? The original poster has a valid point. The efforts of the supporters groups did more for the atmosphere when they were together. Taking your ball and going to the other side of the stadium was childish and desynergized (is that a word?) the efforts of two groups.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta be honest with you NicaMexicano when I tell you it's all my fault.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with that said....wise minds must come together for our players and for the football.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    Close Thread.

7. Gregmeister

Gregmeister New Member

May 29, 2007
    Section 213-214
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not so fast my good man.....I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say. I really don't mind if any criticism is thrown our (El Batallon) way. Let's take this as an opportunity to listen to the crowd....

Mods, I take that you guys can handle a little criticism as well, right? Besides, how else can we know where it is that were going wrong if we don't hear it from a neutral point of view....

Oh, and no blame game here Celt....let's just hear everyone's opinion.

8. I agree with this.

9. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep Rep. Suggestions like the one initially posted shouldn't be taboo to suggest.

10. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is disputing if he had a valid point or not, or if the support is better coming from one location or everywhere in the stadium.

The point is that the groups leaders are communicating with each other and they know what there is to talk about so let them work it out. The SG's do not exist to entertain and create atmosphere for the average fan and certainly are not going to do what a Non SG Fan thinks is best (without knowing and understanding the issues) and to his or her personal preference. The same way the Non SG Fan can not be made to participate in Chants, Tifo or anything else the SG Members may want them to do.

So if we put the shoe on the other foot and the SG's say how they would like everyone else to have their butt in the seats the entire game, chanting along, stop the chit chatting and contributing to Tifo like the SG's do. Better yet, when those groups have a project that they do on their own time where they are creating Tifo, having Chant practice etc. how many of your average fans would be willing to show up for that? Surely those folks are ready to go along with someone telling them how to spend their time at the game? I can see the masses lining up to get on board that train already....

So that being said it is great to get thoughts from people and their observations, so lets hear it......

EB/TA, I think Greg has a valid point so please both sides need to have some thick skin and don't turn this into mine/yours is better/worse etc.
    From my vantage point I can see/hear both and can tell you what looks/sounds better and both sides have good and needs improvement issues.

11. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of being told to FO (Front Office:D) - here's my sixpence worth.

The EB does a fantastic job soundwise - I wake up the day after a game with some of those damn songs running through head (du da du da du da du dadadada), and when that huge banner comes down !!!!!!

The TA look really good with all the player flags flying and the sound is getting there.

If the TA and EB are going to be doing their own thing soundwise - then they need to remain separate.

But there are certainly ocassions when they can work in unison such as those times during a game when "LetsGoDynamo" begins - if one side starts it, the other could join in, and pretty soon the entire stadium might very well get involved too.

I might even join in too if I'm not munching on a prawn sandwich or sipping an expensive lager:p

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

My own take....

You guys have your issues and your leaders know what they are. As someone who absolutely loved the atmosphere you both created those first two and half years, I don't like the separation at all. I think that together you both were intimidating as hell. Seriously, opposing defenses and goalkeepers probably couldn't hear themselves think on that end of the field. Seperated is ok, but not as intimidating and not as awesome.

Are the SG's doing it for the non-SG fans? No. They are doing it in mostly to show their support for the team. My guess is that if you asked, every single player on the team would say that they would hope you two would join up in one end again. All of them.

I don't know what the issues are, but I can look at the results: First two years - 2 MLS Cup Championships. Last year (divided) - dumped out of the playoffs.

Look, I know we non-SG's don't deserve any input into the process. But as someone who has gone to just about every home game over the first three years, I can honestly say that I hope you two join back on one end of the field again.

13. RSCA_TEXAN

RSCA_TEXAN Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    as a Independent supporter... my thought is...

i think it looks better the way it is.. two sides of the stadium cheering and singing loud with flags and banners...

yes it gives the FO less cheap seats.. but i also enjoy seeing all the SG's together on away games.. as one group..

Keep up the great job EB and TA and all other SG's.... can't forget even the smaller groups..

i would love to see more singing from the crowd with the SGs!! that's what we need to work on...

14. Chaginho

Chaginho New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    pinche gay! :cool:

On the real tho, this dude makes a good point

Awante tu sig...a kien se lo cantas? Hmm....:D

15. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was that easy then everyone that had a part in the split should get a lifetime ban and we would always win. ;)

I think both groups can appreciate the feedback from all sides and input from outside is often necessary to give a different perspective. It is not that Non-SG's are not deserving of input, it is just that some people almost seem to make it an issue of their preference and what they would like things to be, just like all the endless posting about calling some Disney Characters Name at games.

Maybe that is just the way it comes across, but SG's don't tell anyone else to yell Let's Go Dynamo at Min 27 as that is something that should be done by all Fans whenever you hear it (provided some of you can be bothered to put down your Coke and Hot Dog long enough to participate).

There are many Non-SG Fans that take trips with us and I don't ever recall an incident of SG Members getting on someone for not singing their heart out on the road, as we appreciate everyone that makes the trips to support the team.

16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion: It won't matter what side the TA or EB are cheering on at Robertson Stadium in a couple years because H-Town will be getting a new downtown stadium anyway ;)

(Announcement coming in 60-90 days)

17. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orange people:

Does anybody still get chills remembering the 2006 MLS cup game in Frisco? Does anybody remember about 20,000 people in the stadium singing “HOUSTON! HOUSTON! HOUSTON!” all in one voice?

I do. I get goose bumps every time I remember that game, everytime I remember how much I enjoyed being the 12th player, chanting, making New England feel like they had the entire world against them. Well, our team is sort of “at a cross roads”, and they could use our best chants, our best support this year. They REALLY need us, they need the best atmosphere.

I too share the same concerns that NicaMejicano expressed. At Robertson stadium, I park my butt and drink my beer and cheer for the Dynamo near the middle of field, a bit closer to the big screen and the T.A. The people in my section (including me) are usually quiet, the type of lame people who would be kicked out of a Venezuelan birthday party for being the nerdy ones NOT dancing to the beautiful tropical rhythms.

OK, we are NOT THAT LAME, the people in my section do cheer, but we do it our own way, all of us yelling different things at different times, without organization. Most of the time, we just yell dull, unimaginative stuff like “you suck, Carlos Johnson”.:mad:

I actually wish I could join the singing. I’d be glad to participate, but being the lazy Americanized person I am, I want to join from the comfort of my own seat (sorry, this will probably make Affebasher send me a flaming reply. But this attitude probably reflects 80% of the fans, so don’t criticize me too hard for not being willing to move myself to physically join the supporters groups, or at least, don’t say stuff that will hurt my feelings too much). Affebacher, perhaps if you count to 10 and try not to see our comments as us dumb fans trying to tell you how to run your fan groups, you'll see that what I am saying here is that I offering to join your chants, if possible, if not, then no big deal.

We ain't fighting here.

The problem is, there are actually three or perhaps more different groups singing or beating drums (I hear some other guys beating drums near the TA. Awesome spirit!). When you are able to focus on one group, it sounds GREAT. But most of the time, it just sounds like a bday party at my cousin Edgardo’s house: just a lot of noise (Edgardo believes that contraception is the white people’s way to stop us Latinos from reproducing, so he has like 20 kids, and when they have a birthday party, it is an ear-splitting wild experience. Just imagine about a hundred hyperactive pequeñitos high on sugar, clubbing anything that looks like a piñata, including the poor dogs, old cats, and other pets-du-jour, who are running away from the little candy-craving devils.)

My point was, right now, Robertson sounds are a bit messy, it is almost like all the supporters being out of sync cancel each other out. I or uss boring and unorganized fans, of course, make things worse by yelling other stuff.

HOWEVER, I am NOT criticizing the supporters group (shoot, I am part of the problem too, for not taking part in the organized groups). I would NOT dare suggest that the two, three or whatever music-knowledgeable supporter groups sit together. That seems to be a sensitive issue and it would be like answering my wife “yes, maybe a little” every time she asks me “do I look fat in this outfit?” I may be dumb, but I can recognize a taboo topic. ALSO, I don’t need to stick my nose into issues that a slime-oozing, low-life, bottom-dwelling, unorganized, lonely fan like me is “not privy to.” :rolleyes:

I think we may be able to work some chants that could be sung in unison at some times. There could be something we could all do all together? There should be some easy chants that even the non-spanish speakers can sing? Guys, girls, old fat lazy fans like me don't come to meetings to learn chants, but there may be things we can do to help our team, and perhaps help you?
    MAYBE THERE IS NO NEED TO MOVE THE SUPPORTERS GROUPS TO A SINGLE AREA, maybe it is better that they are scattered throughout the stadium, so they could help get the chants going?

Would it be too hard to start perhaps by chanting HOUSTON! HOUSTON!, 20 times every time the clock hits 10, 20, 30, 40 minutes? (OK, that may be unoriginal, but this is all I could come up with here by myself, sharing a Quilmes with a Dengue-carrying mosquito buzzing around my head here in northern Argentina, hearing chants of "pongan huevo, huevo los xeneixes" on the TV). Why is it that we can sometimes get a stupid wave going, but we can’t get a single unison chant?

And if I have not alienated the supporters groups, and if the TA and EB folks are still reading this rambling post, perhaps this is the time to tell you: Thanks for the past few years, you all have made it an awesome experience. You are the atmosphere; you are part of the reason why many of us enjoy our time at the stadium even more. You do a great service to the team and to the rest of us fans. Sincerely, I thank you for your work getting organized. Even if nothing changes, you still bring great atmosphere to Robertson, it is just not as pretty sounding anymore. But it could be, it could even be BETTER than the previous years, if we get organized.

Perhaps you can put any difference aside to simply agree on a single chant? NO NEED TO AIR OUT THE REASONS WHY ONE GROUP MOVED, no need to return to the old location, it may be best that you sit in opposite ends, but perhaps you can be the force that helps our team get inspired and start playing like the winning team they are?

But don't do it for a stupid fan like me. Do it for the team we all love.

Incidentally, I have thought about joining one of the groups, but in reality, I am scared that you’ll force me to get a tattoo with the group’s name on my left buttcheek, teach me some weird hand gestures, and initiate me by making me punch a random Dallas fan, or something like that. I am also too lazy, too old, too much of a loner to get organized, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t enjoy what you bring to the stadium, right? Maybe one day I'll be in town long enough to enjoy drinking a beer with y'all and thank you in person.

18. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a STH , here is my thought : having EB and TA split up on the opposite field does have the pro and con..
    Pro: We get a stereo sound where I seat at 204. Lately, I notice TA does sound louder ..I guess TA have some new equipment. As fan, we get more entertainment from both of those groups.
    Con: Like one of the guy say earlier..I wish both of you do some stuff together like " go Dynamo " at the same time..It sound like one of you guy is cheering for the opponent..

My son did ask me - how come they don't synchronize their drum beat ..it sound better..well, maybe you can do this even on the opposite side..gave it a try..

19. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hydro, I for one would love to see everyone participate in something all around the stadium, but this cannot be manufactured like at the Astros, it has to come from the heart. That does not make those not doing it Dumb by any means, they are just used to the way things are done in American Arenas where the PA guys tell you when to clap and when to cheer.

Just like you are willing to join in on Chants that the SG's do, the SG's have to be willing to join in and participate in each others songs. And I think just that point is what some of the Non-SG types that keep bringing this topic up forget, you have two groups that do two different things and different songs. Not all of them mind you, but enough that there is a difference. SO all of you in favor of one combined end, are you going to insist to one group that they have to sing all the songs that the other one has? What if one group does not like a particular Song or Songs? Are you going to come over and make sure that everyone is singing it? That is the kind of thing that gets over simplified and put off as childish by some of you that don't do any of this yourselves or put in the time, effort and money on making this stuff happen that the SG's do. In a perfect world this would all be a non issue but we are not in a perfect world. There are issues on both sides and while I think they should be and could be overcome, they are also a bit more involved than one side or the other standing next to each other.

I would applaud both sides coming together, but I am also not a spokesperson for either side, even though I have Friends (and a few people that may not like me) on both sides. I am just stating some of the facts that exist.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't we just change the title of this thread to "Our Little Northern Ireland Dispute"?

I have the total solution, why doesn't everyone just quit the groups and reactivate the "La Doce" group that the front office started? Every one is a winner!

This thread is intramural stuff for when the front office has to assign seats or sections for the groups in our new stadium (in 2014).

But props to both groups for coming out and making noise each week.

21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    but when they did that "We will rock" clap chant led by Godzilla on the jumbotron-that thing rocked and get everyone stoked

[​IMG]

Godzilla says "Go Dynamo"

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I have to say; I am the opinion that the environment from outside the SG was much better when they were combined. It just looked so intimidating with nearly two sections full. All that being said, I will let the groups work out what they think is best.

I would like to offer my support for a suggestion earlier. I would LOVE if we were able to have one song . . . just ONE SONG that all 12-17 thousand people started singing. Having been to 4 world cups and a bunch of matches in Europe . . their Anthems just sound unreal. We would be the envy of the league if we could ever get that happening.

Now, I agree with Offebacher's comment that manufactred doesn't work - but at the same time it requires coordination as the words from my heart may not match the next person's. It may require corniness - placing words and directions in every seat before a few games. It may sound too manufactured but at the end of the season when 18k voices rise up in a single chant for the start of each half . . will we care that we had to get people on board with sheets and timed counting?

23. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We the fans can have some effect on the outcome of the game. We can inspire our orange players and we can piss off opposite-team players.

During the game against the NY red balls last April 11 2009, us non-TA non-EB fans in my section kept giving Juan Carlos Osorio a hard time. He kept making stupid hand gestures to us BEHIND HIS BACK. While I first thought he had joined some MS 13 mara and was sending some menacing finger-messages to us, NOW I realize he kept making a 3-0 signal with his hand (reminding us of 2008 playoff game score, I guess?). :rolleyes:

The TV crew realized what he was doing, and kept following him. The cameras caught him doing some awkward dumbass 3-0 signals with his hands. In the post-game Fox TV stuff, you can see Osorio’s dumb, dumb, dumb face struggling to make a “zero” signal with his hand, but couldn’t figure out how he could do it. Very laughable, lame, stupid.

Juan Carlos Osorio would easily get a red card and be kicked out of the game if the whole stadium got together and sang something to him. Something as simple as “shut up, Osorio” He’s very emotional, he’d fall for it. Imagine if the TA and EB led the anti-Osorio chanting?

Juan Carlos Osorio did get kicked out of a game at Robertson stadium last year. I take some credit for it, as our section kept yelling at him during the entire game.:D

Don’t you think it’d be worth it if we could all get together and get his butt red-carded out of Robinson? Could we single out an opposite team player? Pescadito Ruiz would have been another great victim, I would have loved to have joined an anti-Ruiz chant. I never got a chance to tell him how disappointed I was that he was a fellow latino. OK, maybe I am being too ugly and soccer is not supposed to be ugly like this...;)

Anyway, I know it’s hard to get organized.

This is just a beer-induced suggestion. It’s been about 10 Quilmes since I sent the last post, so it’s time for me to go to bed.

Last beer, then time for bed. Talk to y’all soon!

24. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Truth said, Troutseth!

This is the posting I would have written if I wasn't drinking right now, and if I knew how to explain my point in a concise way. Good job, Troutseth!

25. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Well, I'll be damned. When I say it, I am a little whiny bi%ch, but if someone else brings it up, it warrants merit and understanding and blah blah blah blah. I really don't care. I am just glad you guys are taking it seriously. This isn't about me or you or anyone person, it is about the men in orange. I think that if you really listen to us poser fans (non-SG), we might have something decent to say every once in a while.

The idea of not wanting a manufactured song or chant makes perfect sense. But, you guys gotta remember that while there might be thousands of fans at games that have watched soccer for many years, that does not mean they have been to live pro games and truly even realize what an SG does. I would be willing to bet that most of the fans at the game never went to the Dynamos games at Butler Stadium with Tony Johnson and Jose Neto and the boys. Maybe we can consider manufacturing some for the fans that do not quite understand the chant thing yet. And in the mean time, the TA/EB (hopefully reuniting on one side so it does not sound like two radios on two different stations) will be signing their hearts out like they do at every game.
    Please keep up the good work, just please do it together.