Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Emerson Hyndman to Newcastle

I think the signing of Kenny Cooper Sr. to be a Dallas-based scout for NU is as big of a story. How does that work? He is a full-time(ish) scout, paid X dollars per week? Is he paid piecework?

2. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Citizenship laws are up to the individual countries.

Some definitely allow it in connection to great-grandparents in certain cases.

4. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Plus, guys, if his dad was born in Macau--as the above blog entry and the newspaper article assert, it logically follows that he was born long, long before it went back to China. Portugal extended citizenship to Macau-born Portuguese (UNESCO link for those interested), so forget about tracing his roots--his dad's a Portuguese citizen, probably always has been.
    There's your EU passport, folks.

5. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eligible for 4 national teams? Make it 5 as he could play for Macau through his father.

I doubt he'd want to play for anyone else besides us as he probably only speaks English.

Edit: Well that changes things if his father is Portuguese. Please no more Rossi's.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Personally, I think it's almost as interesting a development that Ken Cooper, Sr., has signed a deal to work for Toon in a scouting capacity stateside.

Cooper Sr., was a very good indoor coach and he really knows the game. And, he's way plugged into the fertile Texas youth soccer scene. That's a scenario that could end up in lots of kids with ties to EU passports ending up in the north of England.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if this winter Cooper, Jr. is linked to Newcastle, either.

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree as a Toon supporter the Cooper Sr. news may be the bigger story (at least for now).

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Contrary to what many on here would lead you to believe, Newcastle is a great city. All things being equal, my butt would still be living there (actually, about 15 miles north of the city centre)

It's a bit rough around the edges (figuratively), but the people are some of the nicest you'll find, and the weather is a lot better than you'd think. (So long as the wind is coming from the west and not the east.) Best of luck to the kid.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Oh, and I just had to give Cooper some props for becoming the real-life version of Glen Foy.

[​IMG]

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

whut bout Ameobi like?

11. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

--Shut up, Dave.

12. henvik

henvik New Member

May 21, 2007

now expect him to report to the England Youth System when he gets his passport done ... ! (Hargreaves I hope your Flames doesn't even pass the first playoff round tskk)

13. dfwtinman

dfwtinman New Member

Apr 17, 2006

This particular article is in error. He is the grandson, not son, of SMU's coach.

While I think it's "sorta neat" or "fun" that this young lad gets to have this experience (and thus mentioned it in a Dallas Cup post), he is still just that- a (very) young lad.

I can say when you watch him even for a bit you cant' help but think "my, he's special." With him it's his touch and vision. He certainly isn't an "early grower." Yet, I thought the same thing watching other local players such as Lee Nguyen, Ramon Nunez and 1 or 2 others at this age. It's a long, long, long way from U12 in Dallas to the Premiership, much less playing there, much less success there.

14. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Mystery American at Newcastle?

To set the record straight, Holden returned from his Sunderland trial because he was seriously injured (multiple fractures to his eye socket) as a result of an assult in Newcastle.

He holds an EU passport and will be back in Europe.

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Good article. Hope everyone works out for the young guy. It sounds like he is really excited. Almost 12 and potentially moving to Europe to play in a premier league youth academy. Way to go Emerson

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Full credit to pwip for solving the mystery, but we don't need 2 parallel threads on this anymore. Threads merged.

17. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Here he is. By the way, is the second kid I highlighted related to Roy Lassiter?

Region III (26): Atsouh Ayah (Tampa, Fla.), Ive Burnett (Brandon, Miss.), Bryan Celis (Houston, Texas), Sylvestor Contreras (Irving, Texas), Matthew Dunn (Dallas, Texas), Marcus Epps (Madison, Miss.), Alex Frankenfeld (Dallas, Texas), Preston Gayton (Peachtree City, Ga.), Daniel Gonzalez (Miami, Fla.), Marlon Hariston (Jackson, Miss.), James Hickey (Plano, Texas), Emerson Hyndman (Plano, Texas), Ricardo Jafif (Clearwater, Fla.), Nestor Jaramillo (Lexington, S.C.), Daniel Johnson (Duluth, Ga.), Brandon Jordi (Charlotte, N.C.), Ariel Lassiter (Cedar Park, Texas), Alexander Olofson (Raleigh, N.C.), Gabriel Palmero (Jupiter, Fla.), Andrew Park (Cary, N.C.), Fernando Pina (Houston, Texas), Erick Sanchez (Edinburg, Texas), Derek Sanchez (Midland, Texas), Mark Santibanez (Plano, Texas), Agustin Vargas (Pflugerville, Texas), Bennett Yort (Augusta, Ga.)

http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_1605659.html

18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to ussoccerplayers.com, the answer is "most likely, yes."

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Nice find. Years ago I remember seeing a photo of Roy Lassiter with his son, who was just a toddler at the time. Lassiter's wife is Costa Rican and he met her while playing down there in the early/mid 90s.

Anyway, if Ariel inherits his dad's speed and goal-poaching ability and then manages to develop solid technique then he could turn out to be quite a prospect for us.

20. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find! Finally something that sheds some light on the kid. It's also good to hear he's been involved with the US setup a few times. I know some people were worried about the other countries he could potentially play for.

21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He has until age 21 to declare what country he wants to play for.

It was a good article by topdrawer,they always do a good job.

Anyone know how his trial went? Wasn't it supposed to be like 3 weeks long?

22. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great, best of luck to him