Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So Emo was so woeful against Celtic that Celtic want him?

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    ok.... how i read this (with US colored glasses on)...is that.....maybe......that he could... potentially...play in the one of the final B'mouth games?

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very US-coloured. He can't play for anyone except Rangers until the transfer window opens at the end of the SPL season. Maybe he could play for Bournemouth in post-season friendlies, but they're pretty rare.

wixson7 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Those summer friendlies are less than worthless. Green did very well for Bayern during those and the needle didn't move a millimeter in his favor.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He secured a move to Stuttgart. That's pretty positive (ignore the resulting lack of playing time).

Borrachin and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Never said they would affect his value - they wouldn't - just that he might be allowed to turn out for Bournemouth if they play a friendly or two before going on holiday, which is highly unlikely.

He'll be in the physio's room to get his foot fixed and then it's off to the beach for some R&R. He's earned it.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many a player has used summer friendlies to catapult themselves into the 1st team.

Green's issue was more he's not good enough for a top 5 club globally. Few are.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just to clear up terminology, post-season friendlies means friendly games that are played immediately after the end of the season. They're completely different from pre-season friendlies which are as you describe.

Post-season friendlies are very rare these days - mostly testimonials and charity matches - when you send out a scratch squad of U-18s, U-23s and a few first-teamers. They were a nice way of getting around the maximum wage restrictions* - you didn't send out a Bourneouth team, but you did send out a Bournemouth Select XI or a Bournemouth Invitational XI. It died out after the 60s, when the maximum wage was ended.

20 pounds per week during the season, dropping to 12 pounds per week in the off-season. Those were the maximums. Plenty of players got less.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German teams seems to play a lot of them, although they are often against small local teams to help them out financially.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    More about his injury and recovery:

Hyndman set to be fit for pre-season following positive injury diagnosis

EDDIE Howe is confident Emerson Hyndman will recover from his foot injury in time for the first day of Cherries' pre-season training.

The American midfielder has returned to Vitality Stadium after being forced to cut short a hugely successful loan stay with Scottish giants Rangers, where he impressed enough in 17 games to be named the club's young player of the year.

Hyndman has made only one Cherries start – against Millwall in the FA Cup – following his move from Fulham last summer.

But Cherries boss Howe recently insisted the player, who scored four goals during his time north of the border, remained a major part of his plans. And he has now been boosted by the news that Hyndman's injury will not require surgery.

Howe told the Daily Echo: "We don’t think the injury is too bad and we hope Emerson will be with us from the first day of pre-season.

"There is a slight problem with a bone in his foot but it doesn’t require an operation. We think it will heal itself."

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp..._season_following_positive_injury_diagnosis/#

deuteronomy, sakibomb523, russ and 6 others repped this.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this why he's not on the Gold Cup roster?

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Injury/important he get a full pre-season with his club

Or Bruce doesn't rate him

Take your pick

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    More the former than the latter. Attempting to force recovery from an injury that only requires time to heal, just to be fit for a biennial tournament is foolish for anyone. For a guy of his age, it's just crazy.

In any case, while he's done well on loan, it was at Glasgow Rangers, not Queens Park Rangers. Bruce has options who are proven at a higher level than Emo was playing at last season. Add the two together, and leaving him off the roster is a no-brainer.

Danny Williams not making the cut is another, WTF-inducing, story.

sXeWesley, deuteronomy and Winoman repped this.
  14. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand DW exclusion, reports claim because of contract situation, that is BS. There are at least 35 players on the 40 man roster for Gold Cup that I would exclude before DW. Something does not make sense.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm pretty sure it's because DWILL is making a move this summer. I love DWill and want him to be part of the setup, but I also want him to move to a better league if given the opportunity. This seems like his shot, coming off a strong season. He had lots of interest last summer, and it will be no different this summer.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3366 The Irish Rover, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    And has not made sense for a very long time.

He joined Reading in late June 2013, and has been one of the Championship's best DMs over that period, yet he hasn't had a competitive game since the beginning of June 2013. A lot of friendlies, but but not when it really counts.

I'm all in favour of calling up Kenny Saief - a very useful acquisition IMO - but neglecting Williams in favour of the likes of Dax McCarthy, Kelyn Acosta or Tommy MacNamara is just baffling.

If it's not because Bruce doesn't rate Danny, it's possible that Danny wants to have the summer off so that he can hit the pre-season running without any risk of picking up an injury: he's 28 and this is his best shot at a big-time move. There's also the more remote possibility that his most desired suitor is one of those coaches who hate players international football; it's more common than many people realize.

russ, sXeWesley and deuteronomy repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny is out of contract, so it makes sense for him not to be called up right now, especially if he wants to take a shot at an EPL squad.

18. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that common? I would think you would want to play internationally and raise your status specially when you are out of contract.

sXeWesley repped this.
  19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd expect him to want to sign in the next few weeks and join team for preseason at beginning of July.

20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Eh, for a guy like Williams who has so much professional experience and exposure, I doubt teams are deciding whether to sign or not based on a handful of GC games.

Another train of thought would be don't play internationally while you're out of contract because if you get injured out of contract... that can be extremely bad news bears.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing ti is this.

Anyway, Hyndman is part of a young contingent of YA that should have beig things happen for them next season. Fingers crossed.

DeCoverley and wixson7 repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Good article for a quick analysis of some of the comp he's facing, but otherwise, it's kind of telling us what we know:
    Hyndman needs to impress someplace to advance his career.
    It would be better at a club that owns him rather than loans him.
    Bournemouth are pretty good and pretty flush and Hyndman will have to earn his minutes or loan.

The reality is we have a good # guys on the books of Prem clubs: MM, C-V, GZ, EH to name a few, who can't get a decent sniff at the USMNT, mostly because the USMNT is pretty full of guys getting a lot of 1st team minutes who are also, for the most part vets, and pretty good.

It is impossible that BA (and a host of UK/Euro) clubs are not aware of what Emo did at Gers. It is highly unlikely that B'mouth don't either keep EH with plans to play him, even if only as cover, or loan him again and look for him to blossom or at least get a nice $$ transfer.

I expect BA will give Hyndman some PT when he gets settled. I hope it is with CP. I have a suspicion that if EH and CP can play together, with CP as a Landon-ish LAM (or RAM) and Emo playing a bit more of a floating AM/Holding role, we might see some magic.

Jazzy Altidore and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    OT: is Parchman on BS?

Starman* repped this.