Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taken off around 55', for what I assume was making his teammates look bad by being the only one not giving the ball away or hoofing it long 95% of the time. Or it could be that he was getting far too open far too often and never getting the pass.

Rangers are not a good team. Hyndman still looks like a very good player. I don't know what is up with the new manager, but Hyndman looked pissed at the sub.

2. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Several comments in the Rangers forum about his form being off since the Celtic interest news came out. Given the toxic history between Celtic and Rangers, it really is not the distraction he needs as he closes off the loan, even if it is a fake story.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wild end to game today. Huge game for Rangers. The 3 late game goals won't help Hyndman andy, but he has done what he needed to with the loan. It would be great if he single-handedly charged through the rest of the season and drove Gers to 2nd, but that was never all that likely. Pedro said he saw Aberdeen pressing 10 - 15 into 2nd half, knews Gers could and needed to exploit the space. Seems maybe that's why they made the change. Windass was a hot property early in the year. I don't think Hyndman's future is at Gers or in the SPL so the point of the loan is Bournemouth. Probably done what it needed.

wixson7, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At this stage of league play, with very little on the line (remember: the Top Six teams go on to play each other once, to determine the Champs --and Rangers neither can fail to make Top Six, nor can reach the top spot, and the Europa is an afterthought for them), it makes sense they play more the players they'll still have next season.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Europa is not an afterthought because missing Europa means dropping in the table. Pedro will get hammered if he slips behind St. J's (esp with the Aberdeen win today.) If he somehow pulls out second he will be carried through Ibrox with a laurel wreath. He knows he will have to play to win as much as he possibly can, no matter who that player may be.

(In a charming ironic side note, the Gers away fans apparently sang some charming old anti-Catholic songs at the end of the game today, seeming to miss the fact their new coach is likely catholic himself... sigh...)

Winoman repped this.
  6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still pisses me off that the manager or fans would even dare try to make Emerson a scapegoat of any sort. He's easily the best player on that team.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #3182 freisland, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Not sure where you see Pedro making Emo a "scape-goat." Until and including today he was starting, going 45-55 mins in the center of the park and seeing a lot of ball. Sounded from PC's comments today like he was swapped out for fresh legs to drive a counter - the biggest problem is how well it worked. Windass was getting a lot of good press back in August, but didn't ever match the start. Emo came in, started doing serious good stuff, but CP will want to win and he'll use whoever he thinks will help him. Aside from a bit of crap from some fans about the celtic rumor, Hyndman's fan support is very good, esp for a loanee. You have to be circumspect about most Gers fan boards, nearly everyone posting on them is nearly twice as drunk as you...

(Hyndman turned 21 today btw.)

chrome_vapors, Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Wow, that was a disappointing 5 quid spent on 52 minutes of EH. And with the 45' earlier in the week, you have to think new coach is looking towards next year, and very hard to blame him.

To be fair, not one of EH's best games and I have seen a dip in form, relatively speaking, from the sensational Jan/Feb.

1st 20 minutes touched the ball once maybe. Did his standard box to box stuff. Then had a few wayward touches/turnovers. He did have a very nice move in the box, quick feet to get to endline. And a few pretty touches to get out of trouble/pass.

Saw him frustrated with his teammates a lot more than usual.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Further to that, listened to Pedro a bit more on his substitution strategy. He specifically noted that the Dons FBs were pressing high so he brought on Windass then Joe D because their speed could create space - sounds like he felt they could get in behind the back (and he was doing a bit of humble-bragging about his tactics, I think, but hey, he'll be skewered if they lose, might as well get credit when it's due.) We'll see if Emo starts again vs. Callie. 6 more games to go. Ger meet Aberdeen again 1 more time. Celtic in 2 weeks. Today at least made the next game semi-interesting.

Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's been a long time since a Scottish team made it past the qualifying rounds of the Europa.

I feel like they'll be more focused on trying to rebuild, and for that playing continental soccer could be a hindrance.

Yes, it makes sense not playing the loanee they won't be able to afford. Good thing I didn't buy the monthly package.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No. You are missing the point. It's not about Europa, it's about league place. But they go hand in hand. So let's just talk about league place.

Pedro was brought in with the team in 3rd and many fans giving up on 2nd. He has won 2, tied 2, including the all important "6 pointed" with Aberdeen. If, at this point, he continues to give the Dons even a decent run for their money (and/or wins v. Celtic in 2 weeks) he goes a long way securing his future and having some cred with management and fans (fan organizations wield lots of power at Gers since they live on the season tix presales and lots of fans own stock. It's not like Pedro was considered an overwhelming positive hire and will not get the break a more "gers-legend" kind of player/coach like DeBoer would have. BTW saw on twitter they almost brought in Lovenkrands as assist to Pedro. Gers like former players.)

Pedro has no luxury of failure and must actually perform to win over fans and some management. Dropping to 4th would be seen as a major failure at this point. He will play players based on winning, as he has been doing. Hyndman started all 4 games Pedro has coached as well as the Celtic tie that Pedro watched. If he drops Emo is not because he's trying players out (at least not until 2nd is clearly out of reach) it's because he thinks sitting Hyndman will get him points.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Additionally you get a few more lbs for each league place. I think 2 v 3 was like 300k last year or the year before and 3-4 was like 150-200k or thereabouts. Not going to save Gers from another administration, but I can tell you, if Pedro comes in and blows that 150k by dropping below St. J there's some tight Scotsman who will not be happy.

deuteronomy and The Irish Rover repped this.
  13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's rich...a Dutch person talking about how other people are cheap.

:whistling:

The Irish Rover, freisland and Winoman repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm actually a Scottish (Grandpa)/Swamp Yankee (everyone else) mutt and my wife is Dutch. We fight over who's cheaper, but I usually win. (It's the Yankee stubborn with the Dutch cheap...)

DHC1, yabo, DeCoverley and 4 others repped this.
  15. Okay....I know where you live...:devilish:

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #3191 Eighteen Alpha, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Continued from Breakout Youngster thread:
    @Giggsy1986 said:
    Why? Did we fail to qualify? Did his subsequent play as captain of the side that exceeded expectations in the actual WC moderate that taste or exacerbate it? Did his play with the U-23s also leave a bad taste in your mouth or had you already decided what you thought of him?
    Did his purchase by an EPL side and subsequent transfer interest rumors less than a year later sway your thoughts one way or another?
    Take a chance on watching him. I'm not saying go out and sign up for Rangers TV or Fox Soccer 2 Go - youtube clips would suffice. See what taste he leaves now and tell me who in our pool (don't say Akale :)) is a better choice at CM.

edit: I am genuinely curious. I wasn't following youth soccer prior to the 2015 WC and I would be interested to know what makes so many down on him.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My father-in-law beamed proudly whenever anyone mentioned the Dutch, uh, frugality. He always said a dutch treat (pre-pot) was a misnomer. A true Nederlander would only feel good if the other party paid it all!

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I've been following our u20s for quite some time and closely since 2003. These are the majority of midfield/attacking players that people have gotten excited about.

Convey, Feilhaber, Szetela, Bradley, Gaven, Adu, Duka, Arguez, Jeffrey, Powers, Lletget, Rowe, Gil

Not the most impressive group, especially after 2007/2009. I don't see any of them as similar players with Feilhaber, Duka, and Lletget probably being the closest. Of those, Feilhaber probably had the best u20 WC of any of them and got signed by Hamburg. He debuted for the first team at 21.5 (comparable age to what Hyndman will be this fall) and played in a total of 9 games that season. He then went derby and played 10 before transferring to Aurhus.

Other than injury, I see his physicality to be the only thing that holds him back. I don't think it will as his technique and mentality will help him overcome.

Oh, he wasn't purchased but went on a free.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I mispoke. Thanks. Got hired in the EPL.

20. Well, .....I know that feeling:)....so nice! Recommend it!;)

Winoman repped this.
  21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Interesting to see how this plays out...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/1...s-pedro-caixinha-appears-to-have-doubts-over/

Glasgow Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha appears to have some initial doubts over Emerson Hyndman.

Hyndman was withdrawn at half-time during Rangers 0-0 draw with Kilmarnock, and then he was taken off at the 52nd minute mark last weekend, in Rangers’ match against Aberdeen.

Caixinha’s decision to substitute Hyndman was actually heavily criticised by Rangers fans at the time.

The Portuguese boss may feel vindicated though, as Rangers scored three late goals, with Hyndman off the field, to win 3-0 at Pittodrie.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That article confirms my suspicions. It is usually not good for a player to get subbed off, and the team go grab three goals. I wonder if he is missing something the coach wants him to do, because I really think he is one of the more skilled players on their team.

All is not lost with Rangers, he is still there and he is still subject to get some playing time. Not starting every few days isn't the worst thing in the world from a Nats fan perspective, if he can get enough minutes to stay game sharp for the gold cup. On pace to return to Bournemouth with some minutes this season and ready to compete for a regular rotation player in their midfield, without being worn down.

The Irish Rover and wixson7 repped this.
  23. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that people think because he was subbed off they scored 3 goals is hilarious

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If the coach wants him to be doing something, hopefully that message is clear. These "lower" levels in the U.K. Still play too direct for me and aren't a good fit for EH.

It's been a good run even if he doesn't play a ton down the stretch. I'd hope that isn't the case but not the end of the world. I don't want him at the Gold Cup. He should be with his team for preseason. The gold cup isn't a good place for young players not settled at their clubs in Europe.

25. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's a damn good place for someone who wants to stake a claim to a World Cup spot.