Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am predicting once/if the USMNT's standing in the Hex improves, Bruce goes younger pretty quickly. Judging by how I see people react, I get the impression many fans think Bruce doesn't like young players. In his first go-around, he was pretty proactive getting young players into the team. I don't think that will change.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The idea that sometimes better players don't score as much as other players can be true but generally when describing the absence or presence of a nose for goal, goal scoring is an important measure to look at.

So Lletget should be punished for his versatility and the small amount of time he has been able to play in a 3 man CM, likely his natural role? When Emo got here the first positive to note was that he was being played in his best role, if he had to play LM or RM it's possible that things would not be going as well.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't think Lletget's natural role is a CM in a 3 man midfield. I think he's more the outside mid in a diamond but I'd also argue that it's much easier to score goals playing with Donovan and Keane against MLS defenses rather than for a bad Fulham team.

My main point was simply that Hyndman is a better player, imo.

We've seen Hyndman played at LM/RM. He was played there in the 2nd leg against Colombia and generally was our best player.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just think right now Lletget is not in form yet, but he will be valuable later in the Hex.

Hyndman is quite in-form, though. Even if in a weaker league. And that's why I'd take him.

MLS has played only two games, most of our guys there are far from top form.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    C'mon guys Lletget go.

Caixinha gives first interview... https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...aixinha-europe-glory-rangers?CMP=share_btn_tw

And Ranger's back room/financial circus continues albeit in a smaller (how could it be bigger) way... Gers desperately need a guy with straight up money to lose to get involved and burn some bucks to settle the club. Then put ni place a viable financial model, but up front they need real investment in players and it won't pay off (financially) for a while if ever.

Gacm32, Alex Yang, wixson7 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Major reps for trying to steer the ship back to Emo.. beer is on me if i see you in San Jose or Panama game.

Jazzy Altidore and freisland repped this.
  8. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Probably for the best that Emo isn't sticking around there. But its cool to see the incredibly positive impression he left.

9. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We can now look for Emerson to be part of the Gold Cup roster if he continues in this current form.

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised.

11. Crocajun1003

Crocajun1003 Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we're not stacked at all positions, but it's pretty reassuring that the USMNT's depth has reached the point at CM where a guy like Emo is not an automatic call up. I do however believe that once he gets his chance there will be no looking back.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We have a true embarras de richesses at CM, the problem is DM. That Kitchen didn't really pan out is bad, very bad.

13. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Kitchen was never gonna be the next Busquets. I'd argue his career is panning out exactly as forecasted at the club level.

We haven't learned yet whether or not he can fill Beckerman's shoes at the NT level. That's about the ceiling I can remember being predicted for him.

Tom Collingsworth and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  14. Crocajun1003

Crocajun1003 Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same can be said for Wil Trapp. Concussions seemed to have stunted his trajectory.

15. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I actually feel much better about DM in the coming seasons. I think Tyler Adams or Kellyn Acosta can both potentially be high quality #6's or #8's in the future. In the near-term, Dax McCarty is a high quality player who can hold that role down if needed. At the very worst, I see Dax as a Beckerman who is better in the attack.

Also, it's likely we will continue to see Michael Bradley in the #6 slot, so I'm not too worried about our lack of immediate young talent in that role.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2916 gunnerfan7, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    ...No? How is Kitchen, a solid MLS player his whole career, a bad loss? Most players won't play for the NT. What matters is the cream of the crop, not the OK ones. Chad Marshall isn't NT caliber. Good MLS player, doesn't cut it for the NT. It happens.

After reading again, you're lamenting a "lack" of DM options. May I present to you: Kellyn Acosta, Dax McCarty, Danny Williams, Tyler Adams, Erik Palmer-Brown (I know, he's generally a CB, but we have lots of those), JJ, MB, Bedoya, Roldan, Canouse. That's a lot of guys, from 18-35, that could play there. The older ones will fall off, and some of the young guys won't pan out. But you only need 2-3 to be good every cycle...

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    you lost me at Bedoya DM. :)

Anderson11 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's where he plays for Philly, no? I didn't say I like any of those guys there, just that they can play there.

wixson7 repped this.
  19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Trapp was always quite overrated and never an EMO level prospect.

I don't see this "true embarras de richesses at CM". EMO could be very good, not there yet though. Acosta we'll have to wait and see although early on he seems to be having a breakout year. But I'm not seeing anyone currently at the prime Reyna/Jones/Holden/JOB levels. Nothing close to it, actually.

From what I see at times, prospect/player hype often does a disservice to our historic greats. Seems some overrate the current crop while downplaying what previous generations offered.

Sup Bro repped this.
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wouldn't call it embarrassment of riches but rather overstocked. The truth is that we have a whole bunch of flexible CM types and not that many dedicated AM and DMs. We have had that since last cycle and it looks like it will continue next as well since Hyndman, Acosta, Lletget and Nagbe are all natural CMs IMO.

Tom Collingsworth and Suyuntuy repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In Russia, with no decent DM (and I hope against hope that Dax shows as well as Dreads internationally), we're going to get punked.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll have one that's serviceable by then. We've got a ton of CM's. It'll at worst be a matter of pushing the CM with the best defensive chops back there.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Emo is in a higher class of prospect.

Acosta has made 102 pro appearances, I applaud your judiciously applied patience. It would be great if he pushes on.

24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Starts again in CM vs Hamilton

@RangersFC XI: Foderingham, Tavernier, Hill, Wilson, Wallace, Holt, Toral, Hyndman, Waghorn, Miller, McKay

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Doesn't appear to be broadcast. Anyone find a stream?