Review: Testimonials Matches - B.Ching. Is this an MLS first?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Unak78, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    So I'm probably waaay behind on this, but it's come to my attention that Brian Ching will be having a testimonial send-off with the Dynamo and that match will include many members of the old Dynamo teams from the past.

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Dynamo-s-Ching-to-enter-retirement-with-4839811.php

First off I think that this is an awesome development and kudos to the Dynamo FO for making this happen. Like I said, probably behind on this, but this is the first time that I can recall an MLS club actually doing a real testimonial. The closest to this was Kasey Keller's sendoff vs San Jose a few years back.

That game brought up the focal point in the purpose of doing a testimonial, the ability to send off the player in question with a victory. Unlike a competitive regular season game like the one that Keller's Sounders had to rally to win, a testimonial opponent is usually chosen to ignite interest, yet hopefully be a near-guaranteed win. Either the opponent is a weak opponent, a team full of random players, or the opponent simply knows that they're not supposed to play very hard.

I haven't heard who Houston has chosen, if they have, so with that in mind what type of of opponent should MLS sides be setting up for their testimonial matches? USL or NASL sides? The Cosmos might be a good choice, but I don't think they'll lay down for a testimonial against an MLS side that's likely in it's off-season and fielding a few retired players. Perhaps a team from an interesting lower echelon league like China, Vietnam, or the Philippines? Or maybe an all-star team of retired MLS Cup opponents from the Dynamo championship years...

Another question is, who else deserves a testimonial that might be coming up in a few years. Landon Donovan seems certain. Perhaps Keane too eventually. Osvaldo Alonso in a few years. Nick Rimando, Beckerman, Morales in RSL. SKC has Zusi (who probably will end up in Europe soon though...) and Nielsen. And then there's always Brad Davis in Houston as well...

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had he not been traded, Mastroeni. Though if he returns to the club in some capacity the Rapids could still do one for him.

edwardgr and Unak78 repped this.
  3. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    This brings up a good point. Players who return to their original teams to retire on one of those one-day contracts could have a chance to actually finish their careers actually playing in their original team's colors.

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #4 troutseth, Nov 4, 2013
    I think you are likely to see two random teams of former friends, opponents, and teammates of Brian. I think the purpose is just a good bye and a fun afternoon with the proceeds going to charity. I doubt Houston is going to pay another team to show up and eat into said charity distributions.

As a point of history, just for edification not argument, testimonials were really started to create a retirement fund for players, back when they were not wealthy. The proceeds would go to the player.

5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I guess then a current and former New England Revs squad could be called up for the match.

CeltTexan, henryo, asoc and 1 other person repped this.
  6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There was never testimonial match in MLS before? Is ESL failing me or are you really saying that, maybe I'm misunderstanding? Cos I remember Etcheverry's pretty good lol

bunge repped this.
  7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    But that wasn't put on my MLS if I remember correctly or did they do like a 30 minute game before their final home game?

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Exactly. The Ching testimonial is going to be Team Orange v. Team Black.

9. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Corrales's last match against FC Dallas was pretty close to a testimonial. Had a pre-game ceremony, started his first game in months, lots of tifo and chants honoring Ramiro, and he was carried off the field by teammates when he was subbed off.

10. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #10 Unak78, Nov 4, 2013
    I initially said that I can't recall, but the Houston Chronicle actually said this...
    http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Dynamo-s-Ching-to-enter-retirement-with-4839811.php
    So I'm following their recollection unless someone has documented evidence to the contrary. Regular season games or even charity matches that aren't specifically designated testimonials might not have counted as far as what they're sourcing this article from. So I wonder if Etcheverry was part of his own official testimonial or a charity legends match which he was sent off with but wasn't specifically for him. Who knows, the Chronicle could be wrong, but I would like more specific info...

E2A: From looking it up, apparently they didn't include this bc it wasn't a DCU/MLS event. Bruce Arena apparently participated but it was arranged and held in Bolivia. If there was another one that I'm missing let me know, but I don't think that this would really count as the first "MLS" testimonial especially since it wasn't organized by an MLS club.

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I always thought the tradition of testimonials came about as a way to honor a player and send them off with some money considering they didn't make a whole lot back in the day? Not to simply send them off with a victory.

JasonMa and troutseth repped this.
  13. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #13 Unak78, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Hmm... for whatever reason there's not much ink on that game. I still can't find much when searching for his testimonial. Only an article talking about doing something special and the possibility of one. I'm not doubting that the game happened, but for whatever reason, multiple pubs from Soccer America, to the Houston Chronicle are calling this one the first. Almost to a man they've gone with this. In the Soccer America article there is one post in the comment section calling them out for exactly what you said. Perhaps this is a matter of DC simply not having publicized what they did for Etcheverry and it subsequently becoming as lost to history as Timbuktu. Like I said before, there are literally no articles covering it. It's a proverbial tree in a forest. But I imagine you're right. I'll make amends to the title.

Simon Borg's Twitter also draws on the speculation... https://twitter.com/SimonBorg/status/382606458803585024 a victory.[/quote]

14. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought Cienfuegos got a testimonial as well...or was the Mauricio and friends game something different?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    [/quote]

I mean it's DC testimonial thing for DC player, why would MLS be involved in any way :) Journalists cover stuff wrong all the time, no surprise here.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/etcheverry-testimonial-match-r.613105/

http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2007/10/marco-etcheverry-testimonial-limited-ed.html

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/23959/dc-united-to-take-on-hollywood-united.html (see soccer america didn't check their archives hehe)

sitruc repped this.
  17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I tend to remember the match as well, it was a short game before the regular season finale right?

Listen it is just semantics. Technical, they could probably claim it was not a "testimonial" match as the strictest definition of those matches was for profit and for the player. I don't think they charged anything extra for the game (just part of the finale). Like I said, just semantics. So Ching's may be the "first testimonial" where you have a stand alone game, for profit, with proceeds going to the player (which he then in turn donates). In reality, it is the second match honoring a player, and there have been several other celebrations that have occurred AS PART of a normal match.

Unak78 repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Etcheverry game was pre Seattle Sounders so technically it wasn't a MLS testimonial match.

redinthemorning, JC507, (TxT) and 11 others repped this.
  19. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #19 Unak78, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Technically they weren't even playing soccer then... it was idk, squash or something...

I think that that might be what they're doing. Houston also claims to be the first true downtown sss. That too was largely semantics. It might be that this is a separate game from a league match that's being charged for admission in it's own right. It's the technical definition. I think it is significant to be able to get MLS fans to fill out a non-league match in the off-season just to honor one player.

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yea might have been last game, I remember tifo for actual game involved supporter shield so it had to be close to end of season.

21. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I agree that it's probably just semantics. However upon thinking about it, I do think that it's significant that we've reached a point where an MLS club can charge for an additional game for no other reason than for a tribute to one player and expect a reasonable turnout without tying it to another match that was already paid for so that is a significant achievement and one that should be recognized. Especially if there actually is a decent to good turnout.

So the question has to be asked, could an MLS club have done this even 10 years ago and expected anyone to show up?

JC507 repped this.
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 CeltTexan, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Us hinchas in Houston hiked it up the chain to our FO back in 2010 that when Pat Onstad retires he needed to have a testimonial match. Dom was on board but like with AEG they set on their hands for Pat, Wade, Mully, the man in my avatar aka Chuck Norris's nightmare Mr. Craig Waibel or even Eddie Robinson, now it is like ideas for a testimonial, "We will be the first in Houston!", our FO now likes to take full press from such inovative thinking.
    It was us that recommended that this old footy tradition be celebrated for our club's players as they exit.
    Thank Christ our AEG think tank finally got around to getting it right for our club's all time goal scorer and old U.S.A. warrior.

Unak78 repped this.
  23. Popamatic

Popamatic Member

May 25, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids had a testimonial match for the outgoing Rapidman, the long-time mascot for Colorado. It was during halftime of a regular MLS match in 2007 I believe, and featured mascots from around MLS vs the Denver pro teams' mascots. Some mascots and their costumes are of much different skill levels.

That said, Bring Back Rapidman!

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Unak78 repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That ashole needs to be be brought to justice for what he did to the original RapidMan.