News: Tennessee Tea Party wants slavery minimized in history texts

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Auriaprottu, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.theroot.com/buzz/tea-party-dont-mention-founding-fathers-and-slaves

What's this guy on? Criticism isn't "made up" if the history is accurate. It's one thing to be proud of and/or callous about the American slave trade, quite another to suggest that those who aren't are making up something.

Didn't know whether this belonged in Education or P&CE, so I started here.

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    It's time for a new Southern Strategy. This old one has gotten boring.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This IS a relatively new strategy- it's been only half a century or so since supremacist ideology justified itself to its followers. There really aren't as many options available to them right at this moment as there have been in the recent past, in terms of intimidation and violence. Changing minds through misinformation and PC whitewashing of America's ugly recent past hasn't been in vogue all that long.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I remember those naive early days when I took the Tea Party at its word that it was a grassroots movement aiming for better governance. Now I realize that the Tea Party is John Birch, KKK, McCarthyism, etc. cleaned up and reorganized for modern times. For the bottom feeders.

5. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    what a bunch of **********.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cleaned up, reorganized and now working together! :D

You're being very generous not to have dismissed their spoken words immediately, given the timing of their rise to infamy. That the most recent presidential election was the catalyst for their foolishness says everything that needs to be said about them.

Not sure Tennessee's a big enough purchaser of the specific books (I'm sure they'll try to deny science again at some point, but I assume this is purely a history text- only issue ATM) to influence publishers. Rather than make a big fuss about it --again, related to our nation's president-- they could simply have piggybacked quietly on Texas' ignorance.

7. Uppa90

Uppa90 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God for intellectual safeguards such as double-blind submission protocol and peer-reviewed scholarship. I find many times that individual citizens, groups, and even political machines disseminate false or misleading information that while temporarily effective in the long run crashes under the impassable waves of reputable (and honest) intellectual contributions.

History will return the favor and paint these bastards in the negative light that they deserve.

8. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    An Inconvenient Truth?