Review: Technology?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by FNU, Nov 4, 2008.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't it time for some technology to ensure fairness?

[​IMG]

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I've said this for years but people answer with "referee errors are a part of the game and is a positive thing". Gerrard by the way has become a total ****. How anyone can respect that [him] is beyond me.

3. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have no problem with divers or Technology.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What if you had to pick one of the two?

5. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't pick, divers are Characters but I would love to see technology like in Tennis.

6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So if you were a Atletico Madrid fan you'd think Gerrard is a character and not a diving ****? Sorry but I'd rather clean up the sport (OK stop what you're thinking...) then have characters who cheat (again, stop... it's been done to death)

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He's always been one. Previously it was just shocking, two-footed, studs up lunges but he has moved behind that to become the worst serial diver in the game. How he gets away with it and does not get any bad press or comments from the football community is beyond me.

8. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because he's special.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    While I agree that that was clearly a dive, there was also a clear handball in the box which wasn't given. These things do tend to even themselves out.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    There were two clear handballs in Liverpool's box as well. It's frustrating enough to see Gerrard get away with it yet again (and have few people passing comment as they would with other individuals when they go down regardless of whether it is a foul or a slip or a dive) but it is equally frustrating to see yet another awful decision go in Liverpool's favour this season.

11. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This isn't about Gerrard, he's just an example. Even the hand balls should be reviewed. Technology is needed.

12. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Yes its unbelievable, these guys (gerrard, etc) belong in our favorite soap operahs, not the football pitch. But unless the idiots at Fifa stop making ridiculous comments on how ronaldo is a slave, and actualy start doing some work, the sport will always be a victim to actors bad refs and 'unlucky' calls.

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    This season? Did you not watch the quarter final against Arsenal last april? I could have sworn the ref was a scouser in both games. No team on earth gets more favours from the officials then Liverpool.

14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Yes let's have technology introduced. Then we will have seen Viera penalised for a blatant handball in the box at Anfield last season. We would have seen Kuyt's goal disallowed for offside against Chelsea in May 2007 correctly given. We would also have seen Adebayor's handball at OT last season not given. We would also have seen Berbatov's 2 goals against Celtic correctly disallowed for offside. The number of incorrect incidents that could be more easily remedied with the assistance of video refs is mind-boggling. Everyone of us can easily cite dozens of huge decisions that were incorrectly given because the Ref missed them or was unable to see them clearly. Bad offside decisions alone have influenced numerous results. Cameras can easily determine quickly if a goal should have stood or been discounted for offside.

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone want to start an online petition to be sent to UEFA/FIFA?

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    How can teams game the system if the refs have access to replays ;)

17. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They'll have to have an assistant watch too, like they do in the NFL.

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You're right. It would literally take less then three seconds to determine if a player was offside or not. Now they fuck it up half the time. What is the point of having a rule we all know the refs have no chance of applying properly.

19. Pit-182

Pit-182 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Modena, Italy
    No. Because
    1) Mistakes of referees aren't just what we have to accept in a football match... they are something that make the game better and with more emotions, passions ecc. Plus after a bad refereeing there's nothing better than go out with friends and shout "arbitro cornuto"
    2) Refereeing soccer is an art and with this crazy thing their role will just be a lot less important.
    3) There's even an ethic question. I'm firmly convinced that the more we try to make machines like men to make life easier, the less we'll have to wait for the end of humans.

20. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In other words: let's allow the corruption to continue, because the bookies would be out of work.

21. Pit-182

Pit-182 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Modena, Italy
    Where did you read all the stuff?!!

No. For example, I don't think that there was any modenese out there who was more incazzato (don't know the word in english) than me for all the calciopoli question.

Your statement is dangerous: men can't play a game without, at the end, using corruption or every other cheating method for faking it. If this is true, than we are fu***d. If we machines to control MEN's games than, simply, machines will substitute men.

Besides, I already know that sooner or later tecnhology will be a part of the game, because things have to go this way (progress never stops), but now there simply isn't necessity.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    ;)

Say no more.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not the necessity?

Juve are proven to have had referees in their pocket.

Quite apart from using that to gain titles, how much money do you think people made on betting armed with that knowledge?

And with that knowledge - why on earth would it not be happening elsewhere?

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No they aren't. It's shocking how many people talk about Calciopoli and have no clue what it's all about and what was actually proven.

25. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's not true. All decisions would still be made by the ref. Just that he'd get a tool to help him make the right decision, which would benefit everyone except divers like Gerrard and Ronaldo.