Team Sweden

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #576 jocasta, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Why wasn't she not playing? Presumably she wasn't not playing because her coach thought that she ought not to not play. And... I'll just stop with that silliness now before I confuse myself horribly.

She was playing. I thought she did one or two potentially useful things, really, like hold the ball decently and make some nice runs in which she appeared out of nowhere. I'm not surprised if these things are not in the highlights, though, because she didn't get much support and it amounted to nothing.

flax is also right – passing to her teammates would have been nice too. It's hardly fair to single out Jakobsson for these things though – these things could be said of the team as a whole. I do remember there being quite a few plays in which they managed to string some large number of passes together, and those passes were rather precise even over long distances. But they happened mostly in the mid-midfield, in the absence of any real pressure.

blissett repped this.
  2. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Playing the position correctly involves the ability to explode fast within and even outside your box. Even NHL goaltenders who are 75% the size of the net have to get out quick and narrow the angle.

Wandering far isn't wrong, wandering far and failing is, but not wandering far and succeeding. If you watched the men's WC, Neuer is a good example. HeI think he had about 20 touches outside the box in one of his games.

3. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Thank you for the Basic Goalie Skills memo. Further to that, some of us even see Neuer in Bundesliga and Champions League matches and thus can easily conclude that the poor man should never even be mentioned in the same post as Lindahl (my apologies here). The point I understand previous posters and reppers to be making is that Lindahl's limited skill set means that she needs to be chained to the goalposts on very short tether and encouraged to Look Big. If she remains "the main alternative for the World Cup", as Sundhage claims, I wholeheartedly support the chains. I also think she should go for a backcombed beehive hairdo.

jocasta and blissett repped this.
  4. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    They lost because she did what you want.

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I second the vote for the beehive! She'll look just like a member of the B-52s. I think the idea for the Goalie Tether (or would Keeper Keeper be a better brand name?) has lots of potential, but will require a little B&D R&D. Chains might lead to chafing. Or so I've heard.

law10, I don't think anybody's disagreeing with the premise that keepers need to come off their line and even charge out sometimes. Heck, I know of a short-arse keeper or two for whom it could be fairly said that charging off the line was their one and only worthwhile skill. *cough*

What we're saying is that this one particular goalkeeper has a problem with 1. showing good judgement about when to come off her line, and 2. knowing how to find it again once she's wandered off. We have literally years of observations and heartbreak backing us up on this.

Take a look, for example, at Switzerland's second goal (I think it's the second), the one where the Rohlin ran along side her mark the goalscorer for many meters, right up the middle, but didn't even give her player a nudge (but that's a whole 'nother topic). You could see from the camera behind the keeper that Lindahl was standing like two meters to the right of the center of the goal line. When she dove at the shot, she almost had it – she would have had it if she'd been just half a step to the left. (I'm all for the tactic of showing the forward the side you want them to shoot at, but then you better be able to cover that extra space.)

Even though this is the Team Sweden thread, I guess we could also credit Switzerland for winning the game by, you know, taking advantage of its chances. Like we wish Sweden would do.

Meanwhile, tomorrow, Denmark. Usch. Word on the Tweet is that Thunebro will be starting; we'll see how that goes.

blissett repped this.
  6. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Watching Rohlin on the second goal was surreal. Maybe Sembrandt plays against the Danes too.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    keep in mind that Norway lost all 4 of their friendlies leading up to Euro 2013. But unfortunately don't think that Pia's got any wild cards up her hand as she's always been an---what you see is what you get---type coach. Hopefully she's take note that the US finally is looking strong(4-0 wins vs NZ & the Swiss} and the major factor is finally the pass-their-prime players(Wambach, Chalupny & Rampone) are on the bench, Pia's got to do the same with her's(Thunebro, Rohlin & Sjogran). To be honest, Goransson & Dahlqvist are a bit slow in midfield, but Folkesson looked supper strong at mid(at least in the one vs German game).
    Are there any full game replays on the Swiss match on the web?(couldn't find any on youtube)

8. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The game versus Denmark is underway, and we've been reminded that a birthday girl in on the field: Therese Sjögran is 38 today! and she's even been offside once already.

9. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    1-0 thanks to Schelin in the 30-somethingeth minute. Sjögran still has a mighty pretty corner kick service. ooo, and she even could have scored there, pretty open goal but she sent it wide.

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    2-2 now, and it's nice and all, but something's wrong when your 38 year old is one of the bright spots instead of just an intriguing novelty, a human interest story.

law10 repped this.
  11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Oj, kids! Please stop getting hurt! Both Jakobsson and Folkesson now out, which is not worth the 3-2 score. Jakobsson appears to have broken her elbow; Folkesson, something with the knee. damn!

12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #587 jocasta, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    The final score, 3-3 after a Danish penalty kick. Defender Berglund apparently took 'the Rohlin lesson' from the Switzerland game to heart, and wrestled her player to the ground rather than let her get by. Still, someone should tell her she ought not do that inside of the funny white lines near her own goal.

It's not sounding good for Folkesson, but none of the tv creatures are talking. Jakobsson's injury was extremely painful but, it sounds, probably not as serious as Folkesson's. Not that that means she'll be necessarily available for the WWC.

I wish I had been recording, because the footage of Lindahl doing a chimp-face grimace at the goal cam at the end was pretty funny. No coaches for Sweden looked pleased in the least. Schelin gave a pretty bouncy post-game interview (she had after all scored twice) but Sundhage and Seger (scored one) were more dire, and even dour at times (though I think one of the interviewers was asking some stupid questions which were irritating them).

Here's the highlights; it says it's not geoblocked.

On reflection, Fischer has not had a good couple of games. She's out of position for Denmark's first goal (a well-struck and well-aimed header); she partially blocks the shot that turns into Denmark's second goal, and her knee or whatever turns what might have potentially been a save-able shot into one of those unpredictable loopy things.

13. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Let's hope for the best but definitely looks like an ACL for Folkesson :( And she had such a great game too.

Been a long time since I saw Sweden create so many chances, but geeez, the defense...again! :eek:

Videos of goals and injuries

Romario'sgurl and blissett repped this.
  14. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    And it was an ACL so no WC for Hanna Folkesson

15. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Completely tore it, and slightly tore a meniscus too, if I understand correctly. Usch, poor thing.

Romario'sgurl, JanBalk and gricio61 repped this.
  16. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    #591 law10, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Denmark look big and strong and scored a couple nice goals. If they were in the Cup this summer they look like they could break some hearts.

On Schelin's first goal the Danish captain lost her brain. Who leaves one of the most dangerous strikers in the world sitting in the middle of a wide gap? What the hell do you expect? Schelin showed a couple times she doesn't need much time or space to convert.

Sjögran's through ball to Schelin was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Really feeling for Folkesson. You work so hard and get a dealt a card like that so close to the World Cup. Reminds me of the great speech at the start of this:
    http://adobeproductions.com/catalogue/127-its-a-great-game

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( Heartbreaker. You never want to see anyone get injured, but especially not this close to the WC.

blissett repped this.
  18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    at least Jacobsson is back and in full form, as she & her club team came close to pulling of an upset of the star studded, Lyon in the French Cup title game. Sofia scored one goal and almost had another. If only she could have an more accurate shot(like Schelin) she would be a wonder to be behold..........

19. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Today is a very important birthday: Pippilotta Viktualia Rullgardina Krusmynta Efraimsdotter Långstrump is 70 today! Ja må hon leva, osv. Wish she was interested in playing football for Team Sweden, heaven knows they could use her.

Therese Sjögran turned 38 recently, more than half as old as Pippi Longstocking. Heavens, she could reasonably be Pippi's daughter.

blissett and gricio61 repped this.
  20. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow, I didn't know she had such a long name ! Pippi Calzelunghe (her name in Italy) has been one of the favourite readings of my sister when she was a kid....while my mother's was Karin Michaelis' Bibi (but this is another country, although here people are used to put scandinavian people all in the same bunch...:rolleyes:)

blissett and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Josefine Öqvists have given birth to a baby boy and decided she will not return to Soccer (early she said it was not very likely but possible she would return).
    http://www.expressen.se/kvp/sport/josefine-oqvist-min-varsta-match-i-livet/
    It was a harder delivery than her first.
    After she maternity leave she intend to add a esthetician training (that was i get in translation but the English word seems to general, literal translation is skin therapist but in English that seem to mean an health professional while in Swedish it is some kind of beautician specializing on skin) to her existing one as make up-artist.

blissett repped this.
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Shame she had a fantastic season with Montpellier 2 years ago. Was well liked around the club. A nice person as well.

23. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Team Sweden landed in Canada on Saturday 23rd at 22:00 Swedish time.
    What a dedication to the game, they must have missed the Eurovision completely :eek:

Smulan repped this.
  24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Shocking!

Has Team Sweden come up with an inspirational song this year? Because if anyone in this tournament is dancing with demons in their minds, it's them. (I personally found little cartoon dudes to be alarming when multiplied to a small army marching in lock-step, though it wasn't very nice of Måns to then blow them to pieces with the fiery red power of his heart.)

(a link for anyone who might be wondering what the hell I'm talking about)

25. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Smulan and jocasta repped this.