Team Sweden

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Don't be sorry to chime in, certainly not when it's a question of tattoos and malleoli.
    So I take it that, despite the word replacement, her tattoo is grammatically correct, as surely you would have mentioned it at this point if not... I for one am far, far too chicken to get a tattoo in a foreign language.

And speaking of chickens and Team Sweden, they were down 2 goals at the half but managed a comeback to win it 3-2 against Norway last night in La Manga. Goals for Sweden by Asllani, Asllani, and Schelin; Norway, Herlovsen twice.

Asllani's 1st was a lovely deft little touch past a usefully-flailing-diving Norwegian keeper; almost anything else Asllani could have done with the ball would surely have been blocked. Her second goal (and the reason for my poultry reference above) resulted (according to the SvFF article linked to above) from the Norwegian defense being a chickenyard. Is this term a general idiom, a reporter being clever, or an extra special fling used by Swedes against Norwegians?

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, and England's former captain/king, once went into his own pocket to help Chelsea's Ladies stay afloat, before a few months latter deciding to racially abuse the brother of his equally famous national defensive partner Rio Ferdinand...:confused:

So yeah, I'm thinking footballer's aren't the sharpest knives in draw when it comes to public relations; but to stay on the right side of the Swedish press, I say all hail king Zlatan, the arbiter of all things women's football...

3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    General idiom in Swedish for something being unorganized or chaotic but most commonly applied to defense or entire teams in teamsports.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I confirm. As I mentioned above, my eyes weren't sharp enough to read the "negli occhi" part in the pic of the tattoo, but if the sentence reads "Negli occhi la voglia di vincere" it is absolutely correct in Italian, if a little different from the WC-song quote.

Anyway, you're probably right about tattooes in a foreign language, especially if it uses a different set of characters, I'd add: I knew people who bitterly regretted about what they tattoed on their arm (or other very visible body-part) in Chinese of Japanese...

gricio61 and JanBalk repped this.
  5. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    This is what "we" will look like in Canada
    [​IMG]

gricio61 and jocasta repped this.
  6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Will we have the tuffling-against-the-wall thing going too? Teehee!

Or maybe instead we'll have the confrontationally-narrowed-eyes thing going. For Asllani, that counts as looking downright mean. Guess she's taking the away jersey's Djurgården-vibe to heart.

Sigh. The away jersey looks like they ripped out the sleeves from some leftover 2003 national team jerseys and sewed them on to some club team's practice tanks. Oh well.

7. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The home jersey looks crisp as always. The away one though ... :alien:

8. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    #558 Smulan, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    When I was a kid, I had colour-me-fashion-model workbooks. They ended up looking pretty much like that. In my defence, I was 7 and had a limited collection of pens.

In contrast, the designers behind the World Cup jersey have just wowed the crowds at Sweden Fashion Week.

(I have to say, though, that any comment of mine on national team jerseys is always tempered by the gnawing realisation that the country of my birth has the most gobsmacking and horrendous dessert-themed kit EVER. The less said, the better.)

9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    hmmph..I like the away jersey..but blue has become one of my favorite colors in recent years, so I'm a bit biased, I guess.

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    As long as they don't do any horrible fashion experiments on the home jersey (or as Aslanni calls it "the yellow") it is fine with me.

11. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I don't mind the blue. I don't even mind the hoops. What I do mind is the gratuitous introduction of RED. Nor am I loving the eighties-style black mesh "necklace".

12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    After I made my post, I looked at the picture again; for some reason, I didn't notice those red stripes the first time. :confused: Blech. I'm not feeling them either.

13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #563 jocasta, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Four minutes into the Algarve match against Germany and I am already chanting the mantra 'Just a training match, just a training match...'

Hey, that sounds like a song with the same cadence as 'Just a Gigolo'.

It's just a training match
    And Sweden's losing (natch)
    The ball has twice been in the netting
    The defense is a wreck
    I want to wring their neck
    Germany's not even sweating...

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    ... There may come a day
    When I can watch them play
    Without the constant swearing
    But for now it's the half
    In this silly training match
    Time to eat some herring.

Smulan repped this.
  15. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hi guys, what's up? Any matches today?

16. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Wishing safe and happy travels today to all you witches out there (you know who you are)!

As an in-flight treat (if your wifi reaches up there), you can watch the following two very short videos advertising Sweden's upcoming friendlies against Swaziland Switzerland 5 April, and the Denmark on 8 April.

The first one features Sara 'Thunis' Tunebro inviting everyone to the game which will be played on 'her pitch', Thunis-vallen:

The second features generally bigger names like Kosovare 'Neck Tatoo' Asllani, zL8 Schelin, Nilla 'Wafer' Fischer, and Caroline 'Firestarter' Seger, saying the usual things:

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  17. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014
    flax repped this.
  18. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I confess to being one of the suspicious grumpy old nay-sayers who saw that yesterday on Twitter and thought, haha, yesyes, April Fool's right back at you, Aftonbladet, tack för det and up yours. Today, though, many more (and reputable) journalists are re-posting, so maybe, just maybe, it isn't a joke.

19. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    :cry::cry::cry: Once upon a time we had a good defense. Sweden 1 - 3 Switzerland tonight.

gricio61 repped this.
  20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Lindahl needs to come off her line.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In which era exactly has Lindahl ever been a good GK? o_O

On the other hand, as a Nadeshiko Japan's fan, I am slightly worried by the fact that Switzerland is in our group at WWC. It's true that we got by far the easiest group of them all, but topping it could be harder than it seemed at first sight, vs Bachmann & Co. It's true that we use to have a better defense than Sweden showed in this match; on the other hand our performance vs Denmark and France at Algarve does worry me... :cautious:

22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well problwm is that when she do she do she tend to wander away a bit far.

Smulan repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #573 hotjam2, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    this game was as depressing for Swedes as listening to one of those Tove Lo songs, but looks like their missing their.....speed drill practice......partner, Jacobsson. Why wasn't she not playing?(at least didn't see her in the highlights)
    hey law, do you think a lot of BTO fans will come out to see Switzerland play?

24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes, it was once the pride of the team. Now they look like meek little chumps. I have never ever seen Hanna Marklund look so upset as she did in the post-game analysis; she was talking quickly and even gesturing. Surely that's her version of what in other journalists would be pounding the desk, throwing notes in the air, and shouting.
    no, No, NO! That is exactly what she does not need to do! [/shrieking]
    There are no words that more clearly foretell certain doom than these: "Lindahl comes off her line..." I swear I can feel my blood pressure rising just from typing it.
    "Wander away a bit" and also forget where the goal is except probably somewhere behind her! Girl needs a goddam TomTom installed in her head.

Apologies for amplifying your polite words, JanBalk but seriously, that game makes a mockery of 'bra eller mindre bra' as the only conceivable dichotomy. (To be fair, I think we might have even heard the word 'dålig' used in the postgame.)
    That would be the Era of Truth and Justice , when Peace and Happiness held dominion over the whole of the Earth.

25. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Jakobsson was playing and spread her balls all over the field except to her team mates

blissett repped this.