Team Sweden

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    My gosh is that poor old lady running a lot, but she almost looks as if she's enjoying it. And not a single one of the youngsters can pass/cross as well as she can. Schelin with #71 on a Sjögran cross and it's 3–0 in the 78th.

2. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Who knows, by the next time we report on Team Scotland, they might be an actual, independent Team Scotland, with none of this havering about whether they're a country, or what does "Team Great Britain" mean in the context of FIFA, etc etc. Tune in tomorrow and see!

Right, anyway, the match. Against Scotland in tonight's potentially decisive World Cup qualifier, a slightly different lineup for Team Sweden than what we've seen recently, as Sofia Jakobsson will start up front with Lotta Schelin; Emma Berglund and Elin Rubensson will start in defense.

Eyes will be Schelin as usual, and she stands to tie or break Hanna Ljungberg's national team record of 72 goals. She is suffering from a bruised stomach muscle, and didn't practice yesterday, but was spotted warming up gently and is expected to start.

Starting line-up (4-1-3-2): 1 Hedvig Lindahl – 16 Lina Nilsson, 5 Nilla Fischer, 2 Emma Berglund, 23 Elin Rubensson – 17 Caroline Seger (K) – 14 Hanna Folkesson, 15 Therese Sjögran, 9 Kosovare Asllani – 8 Lotta Schelin, 10 Sofia Jakobsson.
    Available subs: 21 Carola Söberg – 3 Linda Sembrant, 6 Sara Thunebro, 7 Lisa Dahlkvist, 13 Malin Diaz Pettersson, 19 Emma Lund, 22 Olivia Schough
    Watching from the stands: Malin Reuterwall, Marina Pettersson Engström, Jessica Samuelsson, Antonia Göransson, Marija Banusić

Pre-game coverage has started, and they're reporting wonderful weather and great conditions.

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #528 jocasta, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Some might be tempted to say that makes a somewhat young-ish starting eleven for Sweden, but don't worry, Therese Sjögran is also starting, so the average age is still somewhat... un-young.

And she scored the first goal, a header!! 1-0 to Sweden.

The Swedish announcer says the name Jane Ross as though it's a single name, accent on the Jane part.

Sjögran's feeling her oats, apparently, and Schelin has to duck super-quick to avoid getting smacked in the face by a Sjögran shot from outside the box.

4. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #529 jocasta, Sep 17, 2014
    In the 18th, Schelin beats all defenders and dumps Scotland's goalie, getting her chamce, but her shot from a tight angle hits the post.

Seger is flopped on the sideline getting massaged. Whup, she's back on already in the 21st.

36th, bunch of running around, yada yada...

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hooray for working internet.

It's the second half, what'd we miss, you ask. Working bacwards from now: OMG Lindahl! (In a good way, makes a nice save), OMG Lindahl! (In a bad way, stumbles over her own feet during a corner kick).

Back to the end of the first half,Schelin almost got her goal... oooo, but not quite. Point-blans range, but Scorland's keeper flails usefully and swats it out. Schelin could only grin, ruefully.

6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #531 jocasta, Sep 17, 2014
    And she finally does it, passing Coach Sundhage's 71 nat'l team goals, and equalling Ljunberg's 72. Nice individual work after a good assist, and she keeps it on the ground from another quite small angle. 2-0 tonSweden now, 81st minute.

There are plenty of St Andrew's flags in the stands, and people wearing bits of plaid. Scotland has come close to scoring a handful of times. The score's fair, but Scotland's pretty good.

And so it ends. There was a nice little flurry of shots there at the end, and with 60 seconds to go, Lisa Dahlkvist showed more life than I've seen in her for years (not necessarily a good thing, if you think about it).

So, Sweden goes to Canada next summer. And Scotland I believe gets another shot at the same trip with a play-off game, against...

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  8. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Smulan and jocasta repped this.
  9. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Team Sweden's white warm-up jackets look like white garbage bags with blue and yellow bits or tape across them. Hmph.

But woo-hoo for co-captain Sjögran, in the starting line up!

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hmm, thought I read somewhere that Sjögran would be co-captain.... I guess only one person gets to wear the armband.

11. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The German commentator going into half time just made a big deal about the Max burger restaurant that's pitch-side in the stadium - outdoor picnic tables and all! Max need to open in Germany immediately. "As seen on ARD's Sportschau!"

12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    And now Schelin gets goal #73, passing Ljungberg. 1-0 Sweden. Who was that unfortunate German defender who handed her the ball??

13. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Jennifer Cramer. *sigh*

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Oh Sweden. *sigh* (sorry to copy you there, Micol, but sheesh)

In the 87th, Cramer there lets herself get pushed down by Sjögran, who is probably twice Cramer's age. She really is a bit of a disaster, isn't she?

15. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    She's well aware of her duties towards the elder generation.

jocasta repped this.
  16. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Does she address everyone else on her team as "Sie"?

Seriously, that was a very bad pass back. For starters, it's not clear to whom she was passing. Angerer? The other defender who was within 10 meters of the whole play? Happily, Team Sweden has Schelin who can pounce on such things. (Sadly, that seems to be the only way that Schelin can score against better teams.)

17. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Both Hammarström twins, Kristin (gk) and Marie (midfielder) are considering making comebacks. They've both recently become mums. Pia Sundhage wants them back. KIF Örebro could be the lucky club since I think they both live in the area.

jocasta, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  18. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well, maybe they can make it all the way back to the national team too, where they are badly needed.

Apparently Sweden lost 0-1 to Canada yesterday in a friendly in Los Angeles. Huh. With another match against Canada in a couple of days, Fischer and Jakobsson are leaving early to go back to their club teams. In the very little that I've read in the papers, Coach Sundhage sounds the usual amount of not-happy, but no one seems too very upset. According to GP, the match was played on crappy natural grass instead of nice soon-to-be-very-important fake grass.

19. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #544 jocasta, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    The BBC does an interview with Nilla Fischer (in English), in which you can hear her opinions on artificial turf and Zlatan-gate.

I swear a German accent is over-writing her Swedish accent, certainly in intonation.

And in the category of 'Oops there goes another rubber tree', here's an article about Lisa Ek (in Swedish) and her hopes for a long-shot chance to make it to Canada. When she asked Sundhage what her chances were at being on this squad, she was told "small, very small." She compares herself to a characer in "Dumb and Dumber" who thinks that a one-in-a-million chance is still a chance.

kolabear repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry to chime in, but, although I can't read Swedish, I gave a look anyway at the article and at the photos in it: it looks like this Lisa Ek has a sentence in my language (Italian) tattooed on her right foot! :eek: I can only read "la voglia di vincere" (="the will to win"), but I can't read the pair of words before that (they are a little deformed by her malleolus and apparently the pic can't be magnified): any idea about what the rest of the sentence reads? Also, any idea about why she tattoed a sentence in Italian on her foot? o_O

gricio61 repped this.
  21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Zlatan-gate lol... I guess I'm out of the loop then, because since when did anything Zlatan Ibrahimovic say have any real merit...?

The man with an ego large enough to attempt a soul patch and pony tail combo with sincerity, doesn't like the current proximity of women's football next to the platform of his own perfection... crazy... :rolleyes:.

22. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    negli occhi la voglia di vincere

and as for the why, it's a pretty language! :thumbsup: (but could be another reason too of course...)

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Also, it turns out this sentence is quite a literal quote from the official song of WC Italy 1990, Un'estate italiana by Edoardo Bennato and Gianna Nannini (the verse had just a possessive adjective instead of an article: "E negli occhi tuoi voglia di vincere..." = "And in your eyes a will to win...").
    I don't think this reference could happen just by chance.

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Ek was born in 1982 so WC in Italy 1990 was probably the first one she remembers, I guess the song stuck.

blissett repped this.
  25. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    OMG, I can't believe you just said that out loud, the Swedish press is gonna eat you alive if they find out. Are you not aware of the fact that Zlatan is their KING? Hopefully they're too busy writing about what he's having for dinner tonight, so they won't notice this. (and sadly I'm not really even joking :cry:)

blissett, jocasta and Smulan repped this.