Team Song

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Dr. Dogfish, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always watched AS Roma - mother's family is Italian, etc. Love to hear the Curva Sud sing "Grazie Roma" - I mean, it makes my hair and skin tingle! And when the Liverpool supporters all sing "You'll Never Walk Alone", thousands singing that song together, I get the same reaction.

Would love, love, love for ATL to have something similar, the crowd singing and filling the stadium with harmony and atmosphere. The most logical song to sing would be Georgia on My Mind. If even half the 50, 000 supporters at any game were signing that in harmony, it would be intense.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very much agreed, and that's obviously with where I was headed with the one I offered in the "Chants" thread. Working on an audio version with some modified verse.

Georgia on My Mind isn't bad for this role but I know the team is striving for more of an Atlanta theme. Regrettably no obvious answers in that regard.

But, yeah, it would be great to have everyone singing with the players after every match. If I think of some other tunes we could consider I'll definitely share.

3. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool.

to be quite frank, I don't think the team has anything to do with it. Supporters make the atmosphere and create the scene.

Do so!

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not officially, I know, but they've been working very hard to get the name "Atlanta" out front. They're not the south's team or trying to be a latter-day Braves in representing the whole region. (Trying to distinguish themselves from the perceived redneck southeast?) So I think the team would be all the more receptive and helpful in promoting something if it matched that theme, is all.

5. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, true . . . can't think of any Atlanta songs that have the same level of class as Ray Charles's "Georgia on my Mind" though.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

7. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They are. The team should embrace it.

8. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about a "team song" but we need to start developing some less generic chants that everyone can pick up easily. One I've been messing around with is some variant of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".

When the Black and Red go marching in
    Hurrah! Hurrah!
    Hurrah! Hurrah!
    we'll score a bunch of goals again
    and we'll all feel gay when United come marching home!

Probably still needs some work to make it even more ATL specific, but it is an easy tune to pick up and is the type of tune that sounds great when large numbers are singing it.

9. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like that one

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally I'd rather avoid anything that can be tied to the Civil War and/or the Confederacy. Melodies, allusions, etc.

That was a truly significant part of our history and it doesn't need to be buried, but I don't think it needs to be trotted out so often, either, because the city has become something bigger. More over, I think this team should be free from that focus.

11. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? This is where you go with that? Yes, the basic lyrics of the tune originate during the civil war (from the Union not the Confederacy btw) but has been used a million time for other purposes. If I had said to the tune of "The Ants Go Marching One by One" would that be different for you? Searching for connections when there aren't any... smh.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uh, yeah. It's a song from/about a time in the Civil War, so the connection isn't hard. Meanwhile Atlanta and the whole of the southeast is still being vilified for the past, so I tend to favor not adding fuel to the fire. We have plenty of other wells from which we can draw, so I see no need to go to that one era again and again. But I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

13. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Oh, Atlanta" by Atlanta Rhythm Section would be a good choice. Very singable, like "Georgia On My Mind". A little more specific. A little more up beat. Definitely Southern.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can't help but say that I think you all are looking for the easy out.

I never knew the name of the composition, but when Madrid was down on aggregate after the first leg of a champions League tie a couple of years ago (I think it was Wolfsburg, but I can't be sure), there was a composition that played over the PA while both teams stood at attention. Not the Spanish anthem, but more hymn-like. Nobody said a word, and the camera panned over some people who were crying. It was that moving. I don't think Georgia on My Mind is weighty enough, sorry- in the wrong hands, it could come off like a college fight song from a bunch of drunken BullJacket fratboys instead of like the school's Alma Mater sung by a serious choir.

Have any of you ever heard, "Johanna" from Sweeney Todd? That's the kind of feel a club hymn should have, IMO.

Or this kind of vibe...